It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux, which distro do you reccomend?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
www.linuxiso.org... im looking there and i've no clue which to choose or if any better ones exist, anyone who can help me here?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Fedora 3 with Gnome imo. It's just east to get around and it's all i've ever used. (I've tried other ones, but fedora and redhat were the best imo)

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Despite my avatar, I HAVE used GNU/Linux. I've used Debian, SuSE and Gentoo. Gentoo is my absolute FAVORITE distro with Debian being #2 and SuSE being garbage. The only drawback is that the install is a bit difficult, but the Gentoo site provides a GREAT installation guide for many different architectures (x86, PowerPC, etc.).

U2U me if you need any help/information.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Imo Mandrake is the easiest to use straight up and good for a learning curve. Once you've got the hang of it switch to kubuntu (ubuntu with kde gui instead of gnome), its very nice indeed

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I usually recommend Fedora Core or SUSE for those new to linux, and for those who are past the gui hand-holding phase Slackware to customize into an amazing server. It might be worth it to try out some live-boot disks first to figure out which distro or features suit you better so you can pick a full install better.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I recommend Gentoo also. Its very customizable, letting you choose everything you want. it doesnt even come with a windowing system by default. Even tho it seems like it'd be the hardest, since youd have to install everything and get it all setup yourself, I found it alot easier than the other distros Iv tried.

new topics

top topics

join