It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malachite Green found in BC farmed salmon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I read about this in my local paper and found another reason not to eat farmed salmon. The online edition is subscriber only, but that's where it came from.

Three months ago Stolt Sea Farms, based out of Norway, found traces of malachite green in salmon at their farms near Vancouver Island. They decided not to make a public announcement, and issued a recall. Out of 2,300 cases affected, they got 717 cases back. Stephen Stephen (yes, that is his real name) of the Candian Food Inspection Agency confirmed that some of the salmon was distributed to consumers, and that small amounts of the substance are considered to have a 'temporary or non-life-threatening' consequence to health.

Malachite green is a fabric dye that is also used as a fungicide for fish eggs. It is banned in Canada, the US, the EU and most other places for use in fish farming because it is a suspected carcinogen. When it breaks down, one of the by-products is leucomalachite green, which collects in the fatty tissue.

Leucomalachite green is a persistent and prevalent metabolite of malachite green, a triphenylmethane dye that has been used widely as an antifungal agent in the fish industry. Concern over the use of malachite green is due to the potential for consumer exposure, evidence suggestive of tumor promotion in rodent liver, and suspicion of carcinogenicity based on structure-activity relationships. Our previous study indicated that feeding rodents malachite or leucomalachite green resulted in a dose-related increase in liver DNA adducts, and that, in general, exposure to leucomalachite green caused an increase in the number and severity of changes greater than was observed following exposure to malachite green.

liver-disease.jeekim.com...

19. The COC considered the possible mechanisms by which LMG induced tumours in the liver of the female mice. It was noted that the overall tumour profile was not that which would be expected of a genotoxic carcinogen, with activity being limited to effects in the liver of the female mouse; furthermore this was mainly due to an increase in adenomas. However it was also noted that there was no evidence from the NTP studies to support any non-genotoxic mechanism. In view of this, and taking into account the views of the COM, the Committee agreed that it was not possible to discount a genotoxic mechanism for the induction of the liver tumours in female mice and it would therefore be prudent to regard LMG as a genotoxic carcinogen.

www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk...

But someone out there is using it, because Stolt claims that the contamination came from some chinook eggs, purchased from a company called Yellow Island Aquaculture.

Another article confirms that there are still over 300,000 contaminated fish swimming away in Stolt farms in the Boughton Archipelago.

I'm glad I don't eat farmed salmon. There are just to many chemicals used in the process. Yuck.

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
All the salmon and fish period where I live in Florida is farm raised now, unless you go to an actual seafood store. Then you have a choice of fresh or farm raised. The non-farm raised cost me $11.99/lb.
Same as any organic meat. We have to pay up the wazoo to eat real food.

I can't afford to eat anymore.

new topics

join