It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple to switch to Intel chips?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Some news outlets are expecting an announcement from Apple Computers on Monday, that they will be moving their computers away from the PowerPC CPUs over to Intel CPUs.
If true, this is huge news.
You may even be able to install MacOS on your PC.

Apple_slated_to_shift_to_Intel_chi ps
Apple Computer Inc. is expected to announce Monday that it will begin shifting its Macintosh computer line next year to Intel Corp. chips, people familiar with the situation tell Monday's WALL STREET JOURNAL. Excerpts follow.

Among other things, the chips may bring some irritation to Mac users over compatability issues, but it is expected to shore up Apple's ability to compete against producers of Windows-compatible machines.

The move is a major change in strategy by Apple, a high-profile win for Intel, and a potential blow to International Business Machines Corp. and Freescale Semiconductor Inc., suppliers of the PowerPC chips that Apple has long used in its Macintosh systems.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Wow, this is huge news. They've been talking about this for years but it was always seen as probably just a negotiating ploy to get Motorola or IBM to give more favorable terms for their chips....but with MacOS X now, it's not going to be that difficult to switch, everything just needs to be recompiled.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
That's not the best move I think. Let's face it, Intel technology currently sucks and Power PC is much better design with much more place for improvement than the Intel x86. But if they wanted to go with x86 architecture they should choose AMD, they have much better design and lower prices.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Wow, this is huge news. They've been talking about this for years but it was always seen as probably just a negotiating ploy to get Motorola or IBM to give more favorable terms for their chips....

I think it was Leo Laporte (from TechTV) that said they've developed i386 versions of their Operating Systems internally for years, always ready to roll them out if they made the decision. I don't know how true it is but it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't see anything on this over at www.theregister.co.uk... yet.
I guess we'll find out tomorrow if this is legit.

wsj.com... has it on their front page but I don't have a login for their site.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
That's not the best move I think. Let's face it, Intel technology currently sucks and Power PC is much better design with much more place for improvement than the Intel x86. But if they wanted to go with x86 architecture they should choose AMD, they have much better design and lower prices.

If they designed their OS for the x86 platform it should run on Intel or AMD CPUs. The Apple brand computers may start out with Intel for their reliability but it may lead to the use of AMD CPUs in the future.
This move to the x86 platform may open the door to other manufacturers like Dell to offer MacOS on their systems.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Looks like Apple is falling into the Hardware DRM trap. I am so glad AMD is not going this rout.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
If they designed their OS for the x86 platform it should run on Intel or AMD CPUs. The Apple brand computers may start out with Intel for their reliability but it may lead to the use of AMD CPUs in the future.
This move to the x86 platform may open the door to other manufacturers like Dell to offer MacOS on their systems.

But still, the x86 technology is terrible, it's development potential is very limited today. They should all go with Power PC, Cell or something new.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
How about go with something that doesn't have Hardware DRM embedded withing the chip

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I never understood IBM's marketing strategy. In spite of having such good processors they always used pentiums in their Laptops.

I think IBM uses Power PC processors only in its servers. Any one knows the reason behind this. Not that it matters now, after the deal with Lenovo.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Apple has confirmed the switch:

investors
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Apple Computer Inc. said Monday that it will begin using microprocessor chips made by Intel Corp. in its signature Macintosh computers beginning next year, ending a longstanding relationship with International Business Machines Corp.

Apple (AAPL) made the announcement as Chief Executive Steve Jobs delivered the keynote speech at the company's annual conference for software developers in San Francisco.

"Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor road map by far," Jobs said in a statement released at the start of his talk.

This is a huge move for Apple.
I don't know how the Apple user base is going to react to this but as a PC user, I'm looking forward to it.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Eric Cartman " Screw you Guys, Im going to intel"

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is great. Hopefully this will give microsoft an incentive to be innovative in their future software.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr.E
This is great. Hopefully this will give microsoft an incentive to be innovative in their future software.

OH NO Please!!!! I need my job. Since I work in the network security buissness, Microsoft keeps a paycheck coming due to all the holes in their software. Take that away, and My job will no longer be needed!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity why doesn't IBM or Sony start selling a Cell based PC??
I would love to have a cell processor in my PC.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Apple has never shown a propensity for taking the high "intellgent" road. They get something good going then manage, in spite of their best efforts to mess it up. Otherwise we wouldn't have been stuck with Windows as the business rule.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecry
Just out of curiosity why doesn't IBM or Sony start selling a Cell based PC??
I would love to have a cell processor in my PC.

Back when Cell tech was being touted as the next big PS3 thing, I had read somthing about this. Apparently Sony is going to intigrate these Cell chips into EVERYTHING. They want them in your TV's, Microwaves,Cell Phones, and eventually in PC's. Cell tech will enable you to link every piece of electronics in your house.

As for the move to Intell, well it is the best thing Apple could have done for there profits. People who use Macs arnt called 1%'rs for nothing. Only 1% of the home computer market is Apple. Or somthing like that. It is a very small slice of the pie overall. This move to something more people are familliar with can only increase their popularity more. They run the risk of loosing the diehard apple lovers, but only if those diehards have another choice. This could also have another benifit for Apple. Maybe, just maybe they can lower their prices to something a little more affordable for everyone. I can build a dream rig for 2 grand. When it comes to Apple, 2 grand just gets you a solitair game.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is a good move, and I'm Mac user for 20 years..or more.
The blame can be placed squarely on IBM and Motorola who have guaranteed chip shortages in the last ten years.

Whats the top of the line Pentium 4.x Gigahertz, whats the top of the line Mac: 2.x Gigahertz.
Doom III plays great on a three year old xbox, plays like crap on brand new G5 Macs.

This annoucement makes me glad I spent only $840 on a fully loaded Mac Mini (Bluetooth, airport, 80Gb hard drive, 512MB ram (need more!)) instead of opting for a $3,600 tower G5. Becoming obsolete will be that much less painless when I see $700 x86 Macs in two years.

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Whats the top of the line Pentium 4.x Gigahertz, whats the top of the line Mac: 2.x Gigahertz.

A typical brainwashing from Intel... Just because they have higher frequencies doesn't mean they are faster. Actually, the Intel makes the worst procesors today. Their only use is for heat production in cold days.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by Legalizer

A typical brainwashing from Intel... Just because they have higher frequencies doesn't mean they are faster. Actually, the Intel makes the worst procesors today. Their only use is for heat production in cold days.

Must agree so far the 64bit Intels been total failures compared to AMD, Intel used to be the choice that gave you little higher price tag, but more stable PC, i mean now heat problems and overall quality, none of my old Pentium have yet broke, while same time ive seen many AMD's broke, but now tides have turned and far as ive seen AMD not only sell cheaper but isnt anyway below Intel homePC processors. Also what read Intel Itanium server side processors were failures as well, and same time when looking market shares show much larger piece of pie on Intels side compared to AMD, so they really need to start invest on their R&D.

Current cell processor figures are based on running multiple processes on theoretical scenario and shouldnt be let blind you, saying its 2 teraflops, you really need skilled coders to make it use all that 2 teraflops while it runs 7 simultanious processors with all their own purposes, so we have to still wait that to happen. And by that PC architechture has moved ahead as now trend is to get multiprocessor PC's and who knows how many processors we will see in future, so how long it does take to run pass Cell again? Sure Cell seem to have good price tag compared to what it promises, but theres always people who invest that 2000€ to PC.

top topics

join