It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Dictator Is A Dictator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Another interesting article, its kinda linked to Holocaust Survivor Leaving US, these are probably the two best articles i have ever read

I just read with great interest the article entitled "Holocaust Survivor Leaving US" and have a comment.

Just two weeks ago I made a short trip to San Diego CA accompanying my husband who was attending there an international conference. It was the first time I was going back to the US after ten years of living in Europe: I am Romanian and live in Switzerland. Between 1992-1995 I studied and lived in Washington DC.

When coming from Europe, visiting the US seems like letting sunshine coming in your heart. People are open, nice, genuine helpful and friendly, always ready to look without fear or suspicion into your eyes and tell you something that brings a smile on your face. I love traveling in the US. "Yes, but you know, they are superficial" sounds the European stereotype answer when I speak enthusiastically about Americans. "So what?" I reply crankily, "I don't need to marry them! I just enjoy a smile and a good mood for a few seconds and that's enough to make me feel happy. In Europe this is rare."

Compared to the US neither Switzerland nor Romania offer to a traveler so many spontaneous smiles, the lightness of being, the simple care for a general pleasant atmosphere in any public space be it the street, a lobby, a shop, a restaurant or even a public restroom. In Switzerland people are mostly distant and reserved. In Romania they are often frustrated, sad or mad and they show it to spoil the ambiance. In the US people see and treat each other with a sort of disinterested kindness, which is neither intruding someone's privacy, nor does it look for gossip. It is just an attitude which tries to make the best of the present moment - here and now. I like it.

rense.com...

[edit on 5-6-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Interestingly enough that is not really the feeling I have...

I live in Europe, Belgium really, and people are mostly open and friendly, and surely not as "superficial" as the author of the article states...

I have been visiting a lot of places in Europe:
Germany: (Berlin, and Bavaria) people are very nice, most of the time smiling, and always helpful
Czech Rep.: (Plzen, Beroun, Prague) rarely seen people so open, friendly and warm, though not always helpful.
Switzerland: (Geneva, Lausanne) hmm, yeah, maybe distant... but no
France: all of southern France is simply wonderful, people are nice as can be, funny, and always helpful. Now, don't ask them to work too hard, he, we have time! Northern France is different though, but I don't feel particularly frustrated there...
Italy: what can I say? Italians are just what they are supposed to be! Always helpful, sometimes too much even, friendly enough, but definitely always speedy!!!
Spain: (Barcelona) People are always distant at first, but once you start to know them, they are certainly friendly and helpful.

Now, I'm working in a big NATO base and I must say I know a lot of Americans (amongst others). I can't resist saying that most of them are surely double-sided and superficial.

But now, that's at first only: I suppose it is the fear of Europe (ain't that stupid, really?), but after a while, most of them enjoy really this place, and I have some great friends amongst the US community here (a few thousands, he!). We definitely are from a "different world", and we definitely are from a very different culture. We certainly don't see things in the same way, most of the time, and we are certainly different anyway.

So what? Does that prevent any true friendship? Does that prevent having a good time? Does that prevent anyone of us being in an american party? Does that prevent any of them being in a belgian party? Does that mean that we must discuss those differences over and over every time? Does that mean that we must avoid those subjects? Does that imply any protective or defensive attitude when in meetings or events of any kind?

The answer to all the questions above is simple, it is a two letters word: NO.

The people of the world are different, wherever you may go. Understanding those differences, and accepting the way they are is IMHO the only solution to a better world. No world is and will ever be perfect, but we all have a responsibility, as a human, to behave in a way that is respectful to others, and to accept that they may act in a way that we just wouldn't.

join