It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia military breaks into Finnish territory...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Austria (1995)
Belgium (founding member: 1952/58)
Cyprus (2004)
Czech Republic (2004)
Denmark (1973)
Estonia (2004)
Finland (1995)
France (founding member: 1952/58)
Germany (founding member: 1952/58)
Greece (1981)
Hungary (2004)
Ireland (1973)
Italy (founding member: 1952/58)
Latvia (2004)
Lithuania (2004)
Luxembourg (founding member: 1952/58)
Malta (2004)
The Netherlands (founding member: 1952/58)
Poland (2004)
Portugal (1986)
Slovakia (2004)
Slovenia (2004)
Spain (1986)
Sweden (1995)
United Kingdom (1973)

List of European Member States:
Now most of these are either engaged in War, Peace Keeping Missions or have such a small Army there is no way they would be able to stand up to Russia unless they made the first strike on Finland. Which they won't do - it just serves them no purpose.

Also as far as I know the European Parliament has yet to pass the Common Defence Agreement or anything like that? So these Nations don't even have to "Act as One" if War was ever to happen and with the present French and Spanish Governments it is doubtful they would even get involved in such a war unless an attack against them was made.

Britain is not what it used to be (which pains me to say) and it is doubtful we would be able to deal with Russia without the backing of America (U.S.A.) and due to present Missions our Military would be largely over-stretched.

The rest of these Nations only have a hand-full of Military Power between them and they would get crushed by Russia especially the old U.S.S.R. states who I doubt would want to get involved in another war with Russia as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Russia's not going to be silly enough to invade Finland (even if they did own it once), that would be an absurd action. It would also be very messy indeed, the Finns made mincemeat out of the Red Army when they last invaded (granted the Finns lost eventually, but the price the Soviets payed made them a ripe target for Nazi invasion).

A few pilots mucking about across the Finnish border isn't going to start an invasion.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Also as far as I know the European Parliament has yet to pass the Common Defence Agreement or anything like that?

WEU consists of: Belgiun (1954), Germany (1954), Frane (1954), Greece (1995), Italiy (1954), Luxemburg (1954), Nederlands (1954), Portugal (1990), Spain (1990), United Kingdom (1954). Accociated are Finland, Sweden, Austria, Ireland and Dänemark, Bulgaria, Estland, Lituania, Latvia, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Rumania, Slowakia, Slowenia, Turkey, Czech Republic and Hungary.

The WEU hasnt a cooperation with EU nor with NATO and is just a european military alliance

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Finland is an observer country not an Associate or member and has been an observer since 1995.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Double Post.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Odium]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Finland is e member of EU, not an Observer... But because of the factn that the contry is so small, nobody cares about it... Right...?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Finland is e member of EU, not an Observer... But because of the factn that the contry is so small, nobody cares about it... Right...?

We were talking about the WEU not the E.U. you need to read all of it before jumping in and assuming such things.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

could these planes defend Finland against a possible treat?

Well, If the politics would decide that they would have to help... Then there would be no problem... And I'am not worried about the firepower... There's more than enough of that... (Nice pics by the way) but I don't know if the politics would decide to help...

I'am not sure if we'd use F-4, they are quite old... And that Fulcrum was cool, considering the fact that the Russaans are the father to them... But that EF 2000 just... I don't know... makes me crazy...

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

We were talking about the WEU not the E.U. you need to read all of it before jumping in and assuming such things.

OK, my bad, I hadn't noticed that there were other comments too... (Been away for a while now) Ok, so if we think that Finland is an Observer country... That would mean in practise taht nobody cares of Finland, right...?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Basically Finland has not said if someone attacked other Nations they would help to defend them so the same has not been said in return however it is assumed that tehy would. My main points above is the fact at the moment the E.U. Nations have either over-stretched their army, Government and people are not overly pro-wars or they don't have the army there to help.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
True... I'am not sure about this whole "if we defend you, you can defend me stile..." It's a pretty idea, but in the end it seldom works, cos' it might end up nations who have been friends to war, just because an agreement says so...

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Basically Finland has not said if someone attacked other Nations they would help to defend them so the same has not been said in return however it is assumed that tehy would. My main points above is the fact at the moment the E.U. Nations have either over-stretched their army, Government and people are not overly pro-wars or they don't have the army there to help.

which countrys do you consider to be part of which of those three groups?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A really good question Wodan...

[edit on 19-6-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Over-Stretched Army:
Britain,
France (due to Peace Keeping)

Not overly "Pro-War"
France
Spain
Italy (these are all my view, but I live in England and travel around Europe a bit.)

Don't have the Army:
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Slovenia
Luxembourg
Malta

Here is the 25 Members of the European Union:
Austria (1995)
Belgium (founding member: 1952/58)
Cyprus (2004)
Czech Republic (2004)
Denmark (1973)
Estonia (2004)
Finland (1995)
France (founding member: 1952/58)
Germany (founding member: 1952/58)
Greece (1981)
Hungary (2004)
Ireland (1973)
Italy (founding member: 1952/58)
Latvia (2004)
Lithuania (2004)
Luxembourg (founding member: 1952/58)
Malta (2004)
The Netherlands (founding member: 1952/58)
Poland (2004)
Portugal (1986)
Slovakia (2004)
Slovenia (2004)
Spain (1986)
Sweden (1995)
United Kingdom (1973)

Not many of those have an Army that is "modern" and could compete with Russia, not even combined in my view. Without Britain and France removing their forces from other areas and using their full weight.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Good point... Many countries in EU don't have a good army at all... But then again the numbers aren't everything... Remember what happend in Finland 1939-1941...

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
A russian invasion? They can barely hold Chechnya, how the hell can they hope to hold Finland? They'll economically bust.

Of course, I have no doubt the Finnish miltary will be crushed if Russia actually attacks. Even if the EU sends their full military power it won't hold for long. The fact that all the countries in the EU either have a puny military, over stretched military, or an outdated military.

[edit on 19-6-2005 by SilverDeath]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverDeath
A russian invasion? They can barely hold Chechnya, how the hell can they hope to hold Finland? They'll economically bust.

Of course, I have no doubt the Finnish miltary will be crushed if Russia actually attacks. Even if the EU sends their full military power it won't hold for long. The fact that all the countries in the EU either have a puny military, over stretched military, or an outdated military.

[edit on 19-6-2005 by SilverDeath]

American can hardly hold Iraq? Yet they have one of the best Armed Forces in the World if not in some respects the best. Also "Chechnya" has less attackings in it, then Iraq does. You see how that logic doesn't actually work right?

I'm glad in the second paragraph you realise they would be able to invade. Remember that war is a good way to make a failing economy boom, it gives people jobs and a reason to "live" if you can justify the war to the Public and the Russian Public are as Patriotic as the American.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well true... But armies aren't glorious because of their equipment... They are glorious because of their soldiers...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I was just reading topics concerning Finland and yes, I know. Its been a couple of years since anybody posted in this topic. But I have to say that if you look at the map Finland is almost the biggers country in Europe.Its the population in Finland that is small. I guess France and Spain are the only really bigger countries than Finland. And maybe Sweden? Germany is about the same size as Finland. Greece is 1/3 of Finland. United Kingdom is smaller thatn Finland

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by prelude
What makes me laugh so much that the whole international community is so much concerned with Russian planes crosses the Finnish border
these concern signifies how afraid they are of Russia.
Again on contrary these same stereotypes say "that Russia is under complete military political economic collapse " with her president an "anti russian "

so if Russia is so much weak what's there to be afraid of ??come ,show your guts and dare to shoot a single bullet against Russia .....can u?

Well I would never want to go to war against Russia. The russian airforce gets about 60 hours of flight time a year which is miserable and they are a collapsed power, but you dont # with them because they have nukes, weather, ruthlessness and will NOT LOOSE. They would rather destroy the world than loose. Honestly, everyone wishes russian would just stfu and go about the oil business, because war with them wouldnt be easy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join