It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call To Join Masonry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Too all the masons here on Ats,

I have just received a call to join my local lodge. I have a lot of thinking to do first though about masonry and all that it entails. I am going to do further reading into this subject. As they said they would supply me with ample reading beforehand.

I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with the decision to join or not. I was wish if we could list the pros and cons.

So far I haven't really found any cons regarding masonry as I find it to be a unique opportunity to get to know my fellow man. And to better the community as a whole.

My main goal in masonry is to better understand myself and my brothers.

First off a few questions....

How do masons regard spirituality?
What kinds of things will I be involved in when I become a mason?
and
Why should I join the ranks of the elite?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Too all the masons here on Ats,

I have just received a call to join my local lodge. I have a lot of thinking to do first though about masonry and all that it entails. I am going to do further reading into this subject. As they said they would supply me with ample reading beforehand.

I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with the decision to join or not. I was wish if we could list the pros and cons.

So far I haven't really found any cons regarding masonry as I find it to be a unique opportunity to get to know my fellow man. And to better the community as a whole.

My main goal in masonry is to better understand myself and my brothers.

and

Good for you man
Wish I could become a Mason this year.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I would never join a lodge that ASKS you to join, that is against one of the central tenets of Masonry. The lodge I'm joining most likely wouldn't even recognize the one that asked you to join. I wouldn't do it, if they're actively recruting like that, I find it hard to believe that the rest of Masonrys teachings wouldn't be corrupted as well.

Regarding your other questions, Masonry is centered around spirituality, hell you have to admit that you believe in a "higher power." The actions you will be involved in are designed to better yourself as a man, chairty, esoteric study etc. If you regard Masons as the "elite," I would have to say Masonry isn't for you; Masons come from all walks of life and do not regard themselves as any better than the man standing next to them. Why would the elites cruise around in itty bitty Dudleys and wear pointy hats?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

*snip*

and

First as I said the other day Congratulations.

As far as spirituality....Masonry only requires the belief in a Supreme Being. Masonry however does not tell you how to worship. That's between you and your God. Religion (along politics) are forbidden from being discussed in Lodge.

What can you be involved in? That is up to you. As has been said before, you get out of Masonry what you put into it. You'll have the oportunity to participate in all aspects of the Lodge. Meetings and fundraisers are just a couple of examples. You can also look at joining appendant organizations like the Scottish Rite, York Rite, Shriners etc.

As far as the "joining the elite"....I don't know if I'd use the term elite....kinda gives a bad connontation....But you should only join Masonry because you want to ie your own free will. We only want you if you want us....

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
I would never join a lodge that ASKS you to join, that is against one of the central tenets of Masonry. The lodge I'm joining most likely wouldn't even recognize the one that asked you to join. I wouldn't do it, if they're actively recruting like that, I find it hard to believe that the rest of Masonrys teachings wouldn't be corrupted as well.

First off they didn't ask me to join. I e-mailed the grand secretary 3 times before they called me. They didn't ask me to join on the phone they just asked me out for coffee. I showed interest in masonry, asked questions and then they responded.

I know they aren't elite... that was a bit of a pun. They are, though, a stepping stone in the right directing involved in the community. They founded america and some of the most important people in the 20th century were masons. ie Benjamin Franklin, Harry Truman... etc.

The lodge you are located at will recognize my lodge as it is one of the main lodges of Sask, Canada. If you think that all lodges aren't the same then you either aren't a mason or don't follow their teachings.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

That's not entirely true....As most jurisdictions still abide by the 2B1 Ask1 (ie no recruitment) idealogy, but there are a growing number that have relaxed that thought and do allow some solicitation.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
ohhhh ok, I didn't know you had already showed interest. Sounded like they just up and contacted you. Yes my lodge would definitely recognize yours. And yes I'm not a Mason yet, damn Dark Months, going to take until September. Do all of your lodges recognize the Dark Months?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Do all of your lodges recognize the Dark Months?

I think most lodges do "go dark" ove the summer. Don't know why though...

Anyone?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hmmm.

Why would you?

What are the benifits, what are the cons?

Maybe! I say go for it.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

My lodge is dark during the month of August. That is what was set in our by-laws. But as for *all* lodges being required to be dark at times of the year...I don't think so....again I believe that's a jurisdictional/individual lodge thing.

Most lodges go dark a lot of times when a large portion the members might not be able to attend. My lodge is in an area with a lot of farms and orchards. August is when the peach crop would hit and thus a number of members would not be able to attend. Times have changed, but we've not changed that in the by-laws.

edit: those darned typos again

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Golfie]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Could someone enlighten me as to what the "dark days" are. From what I have read on this thread I would think that it just means days when there are few if any meetings each month, because of members being busy with personal matters???

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Could someone enlighten me as to what the "dark days" are. From what I have read on this thread I would think that it just means days when there are few if any meetings each month, because of members being busy with personal matters???

You are correct. When someone refers to a lodge being "dark" they are meaning that there are no meetings that month.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
CPYKOmega

Congratulations on your decission to meet masons one on one. Personaly I hope you decide to patition the lodge.

As for your first question: Your relationship with your god is only between you and him/her/it. We will do NOTHING to that relationship except encourage you to continue it in you own way and mannor. Masons are spacificly bared from any discussion of a mans religion/spirituality. We do require a belief in a supreme being, but beyond requiring that belief it is NEVER anyones business.

With regard to your second: the only things that you will be required to participate in is the three degrees and the associated memory work to pass off the catachisms. Beyond that the lodge you join may have fund raising acitivities that you can join, degree teams you may want to join, any number of volintary groups. We have all of those in my lodge also we have various commities, work days, local events where we will either have an information booth, serve food, help out in some mannor. But there are never required they are strictly volintary. They are a very good way to get to know your lodge brothers better though. The catichisms are the time when your first education in masonry occurs, you will find many brothers who will be ready to help you furher.

As for your last. 1) Well no one has ever claimed we are "the elite". We are a true band of brothers. While it is complamenter to call us "the elite" I would never think of us that way. We are a band of brothers who are trying to improve ourselves and help each other to be the best person they can become, and at the same time try and follow the teaching of chairity and good works.

2) Each brother must find a reason that is important to HIM for joining masonry. Most start by saying they were impressed with the men who they had known, but usually they have underlying reason unique to themselves. Personally I was impressed growing up with the quality of men who were masons in my home town, secritly I was hoping that some of the morter formuli had servived for ancient time, or to learn some ancient consrtuction techniequecs. Neither of those were there, nor was there any indication that they had ever been there, but considering what I have gotten from what IS THERE I am more than happy I joined. Every brother that Ive ever asked had more or less the same answer.

If you are seriously considering jouining us I would highly recomend that you not read the degrees, or read too much about them. You will get "more out of them" if you go into them cold. There is MUCH more to them than just reading them. They are yur foundation for building your education in and about masonry.

I have NEVER found anything to conflict with my duty to GOD, my country, or my family. In fact masonry helps me do better as a father, a citizen, and in following my faith.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

I think most lodges do "go dark" ove the summer. Don't know why though...

Anyone?

No, not all lodges go dark. Mine, for example, does not. I don't think any of the lodges in my district do.

By the way, CPYKOmega, congratulations on your interest in joining our honorable fraternity! I am very pleased that we were able to help you realize that Freemasonry is a GREAT organization, which provides an excellent service to fellow man. I hope you will take advantage of ALL that Freemasonry has to offer.

Keep in mind that some things in Freemasonry may not SEEM to have a purpose at times, but EVERYTHING done within the Craft has time-honored tradition and symbolism behind it. Everything we do as masons is designed to inculcate the lessons of Freemasonry, brotherly love, truth, relief, charity, hope, honor, faith, into each masons mind.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the kindness and warm regards. I hope to better myself as a human being, while learning the value of all the masonic principles. My main goal, if I am accepted, is to better my fellow man. Helping others has been my goal ever since I was a child. I have helped many people throughout my life and by joining my brothers I wish to further help society as a whole.

I look forward to petitioning after I meet with my masonic friend. Hopefully all will work out in the end.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

My main goal, if I am accepted, is to better my fellow man.

I think you would do well to think about it not as bettering your fellow man but bettering yourself.

The only thing in this world that you have control over is yourself. By making yourself better, you make the world a better place, and perhaps the example you set will cause another to want to work to better himself as well.

To go in with the idea of changing someone else, to me, is not the way to go about it. Masonry seeks to work internally on its members, and its members to work internally on themselves.

Just my take on it.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My Grand Lodge has recognized that with falling membership numbers, and a high average age of current members, something must be done, or the order will begin to die out with the older members...so they changed the Laws so that we may now ask men we feel would be worthy to join...

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Congratulations!!!!

I have petitioned as well...

We are both walking this journey....

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egg Mundane

What led you to decide to join the Craft, Egg? Weren't you also criticizing Freemasonry and discussing some of the silly conspiracy theories a few weeks back?

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egg Mundane
Congratulations!!!!

I thought you did that a loooooong time ago?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is you, right?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join