It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation Detectors (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
LOS ANGELES -- The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach will receive radiation detectors to scan every incoming cargo container for nuclear weapons or dirty bombs, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Friday.

www.washingtonpost.com
"A key element of that strategy is detection," Chertoff said after touring the waterways surrounding the ports aboard a Coast Guard ship. "If we know this radiological material is coming in ... we can take the appropriate steps to intercept a threat."

About 4.3 million containers are shipped to the dual ports each year. The Southern California harbor will become the second major U.S. harbor to have all incoming cargo screened, Chertoff said.

In April, officials announced Oakland was the first major harbor to install enough radiation machines to check all incoming cargo. It has 25.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is one part of Homeland Security that I have no problem with.

I see these cargo boxes on trucks running up and down the hi-way all the time and I am out here in the middle of fly over country.

We also have a highly active rail road going thought here and it carries a lot of these boxes. A nuke could be sent anywhere, small town USA or major city.

Roper

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Roper]

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Roper]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If you were trying to smuggle in a nuclear device would you not try to conceal the device from such detection? Our Government is again failing to protect its citizens from foreign enemies!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As someone who lives within 5 miles of both ports, I say, It's about time!

I have been concerned about this subject for the last couple of years and this needs to be implemented at all US ports around the country. I am always amazed at the length of time our government can take to get around to doing something they know is critically important to our security.

Let's hope this is a sign that W and his gang are finally getting serious about closing the gaps in our security against terrorist assaults.

Seeker

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well Flycatch , what would you do about these cargo boxes? There is a lot of them.

How much lead shielding does it take to hide a nuke?

Roper

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Roper]

join