It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army marches on with Future Combat Systems programme

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

US Army planners and their defence industry partners are making last-minute preparations for Milestone B in the US Army's Future Combat Systems (FCS) programme. Milestone A, which marked the programme's transition to the system development and demonstration (SDD) phase, took place in May 2003.

FCS is being developed to meet the requirements of the US Army's Future Force Unit of Action (UA). As the army's future tactical warfighting echelon, the UA will consist of three FCS-equipped combined-arms battalions, a NLOS-C battalion, a reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition squadron, a forward support battalion, a brigade intelligence and communications company and a headquarters company.

One example of a platform design that could have its first lock at the August SFR is the cannon selection for the NLOS-C system.

"The [NLOS-C concept technology] demonstrator that is out firing [at Yuma] is an XM777 cannon, which is 39 calibres in length," Brig Gen Cartwright said. "The trade-offs are going on now between 37 and 38 [calibres], balancing weight, design concepts and operational capability. It is in the midst of all the other trade study requirements and flow down."

Other trade-off studies are reportedly looking at everything from cannon selection for the ICV to mobility features for all platforms.

Hmmm..I wonder how far we are from the time when Robots replace humans in combat.

Link

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here's some discouraging news :

Iraq conflict raises doubts on FCS survivability

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well I think by the time the vehicles actually get fielded we will have made amazing advances in light but strong armor. In fact we already have made Composite armored vehicles, and that armor is suppose to be very strong, plus electro-magnetic armor, and reactive electric armor I think there be able to handle Iraq. Plus all the defense systems were working on, heck soon we might have lasers protecting vehicles.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
Well I think by the time the vehicles actually get fielded we will have made amazing advances in light but strong armor. In fact we already have made Composite armored vehicles, and that armor is suppose to be very strong, plus electro-magnetic armor, and reactive electric armor I think there be able to handle Iraq. Plus all the defense systems were working on, heck soon we might have lasers protecting vehicles.

yeah i agreed but man they are dragging thier feet they need a kick in the butt if you ask me we have been hearing about the fcvs for 7 years!

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Another related article :

U.S. Army: Don’t Split FCS Vehicles, Network

108 billion $ on FCS...now thats a lot

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
Another related article :

U.S. Army: Don’t Split FCS Vehicles, Network

108 billion $ on FCS...now thats a lot

it's ok, they need to spend another 200 billion if they want it to be really good... the fcs need some heavy tanks too or going toe to toe with other tanks will have a major problem. i said make another tank that is better than m1a2 abrams...

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
well the mbt of the fcs should have the new armour with new electro shielding that was tested and passed a few months ago, the brits are building the hull and they makes some darn good armour!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
what they should do is creat a good energy sorce so that lasers will work on the ground
wouldn't be cool to see laser to shoot down rpgs hehe

www.army.mil...
see the vedios! they are good

there are 4 vedios all in total

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Laser are not at the point where it would be effective to put one on every FCS vehicle to shoot down incoming missiles. There are other systems that are more effective and can be put on every vehicle.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
Laser are not at the point where it would be effective to put one on every FCS vehicle to shoot down incoming missiles. There are other systems that are more effective and can be put on every vehicle.

like....
i still think laser is a good choice of weapons if we can get a good energy sorce for it.
i got a questions, when laser fires will we be able to see the light like a red beam come out to shoot down the missile???

new topics

top topics

join