It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia delays JSF decision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Before this, it was long understood that Australia, along with the other participating nations, was required to sign contracts detailing the number of aircraft it required in the second half of 2006. Each nation was also required to nominate which JSF variants it wanted. According to Hill, however, the Australian government is now expected "to make a decision on aircraft purchases in 2008".

The revised 2008 deadline is understood to have been brought about by delays in the JSF programme. Canberra is likely to use the additional time to further refine its JSF options for replacing F/A-18 Hornet fighters and F-111 strike aircraft currently in service with the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).

Link

Hmmm.. I guess they should take it 'cause fast China are breathing down their neck making abourd threats, etc.

Question : Why is the Aussie AF called "Royal" ? When did they become a monarchy ? Or did they loose their soverignity to Britain ?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am not aware that China has threatened Australia? That would be very sill IMHO.

The Aussies must be getting worried as the F-18 and F-111 are getting rather old. They might as well buy a proper fighter and get some Typhoon's

Australia has always been monarchic as it was founded as a British colony in 1788 and as such never had any sovereignty to lose. As members of the Commonwealth Queen Elizabeth II is still their queen too.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I am not aware that China has threatened Australia?

Dont you visit the weaponry forum regularly ??

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

The Aussies must be getting worried as the F-18 and F-111 are getting rather old. They might as well buy a proper fighter and get some Typhoon's

yes they are getting old, but far from useless. I guess you havent heard of the excellent performance of the F-111 at Red Flag? these are proper fighters and the men use them well. The F-111 has unique capabilities that no other western aircraft can match.

Duringlast year’s Red Flag the F-111s were
more reliable than all of the newer
types at the exercise.

www.f-111.net...

Sep: RAAF F-111Cs score perfect record during multi-national Exercise Red Flag held at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, USA.

www.defence.gov.au... re03.htm

During this exercise, the F-111 was the only capability to meet all sortie requirements and the crews performed above expectations.

www.defence.gov.au...

Question : Why is the Aussie AF called "Royal" ? When did they become a monarchy ? Or did they loose their soverignity to Britain ?

Because Australia is a Constitutional Monarchy, our head of state is the Queen of England so it is our tradition to have 'royal' in front of various defence and law enforcement organizations.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 4-6-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Dr funk, I meant proper fighter as opposed to the F-35 which is an attack aircraft with A2A ability as opposed to a true fighter. I was not dissing the F-111 which the Aussies have made better use of than even the USAF ever did IMO.

By commenting on their age I am talking in terms of the RAAF having a timescale in mind for replacing these aircraft that the F-35 cannot hope to meet.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Didn't Austrailia just spend a fortune updating their F111 fleet?

(some with new avionics and some to a new 'G' spec?)

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yes they have but I believe its the airframe hours running out that is the worry.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Yes they have but I believe its the airframe hours running out that is the worry.

- Ah, right. Thanks for that Waynos.

Well in that case it's obvious, they should order a shed-load of Typhoons then.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Super Hornet's will be a good idea as well .... if the US offer's them that is.

Question : Does Aus have any aircraft carriers ??

Why have'nt the aussie public started a revolution for independence ? Do they prefer to stay under the crown of Britain ? If so why ?Do the taxes of the aussie people get transfered to Britain ? Does Australia have control over its defence purchases, etc ?

Is it possible for Britain to pass a law so as to make the Aussie cricket team play to play for England ?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Last Aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne decommisioned 30 June 1982.
She lay at moorings in Sydney Harbour, awaiting disposal, and after sale to a private Australian company in June 1984 fell through, she was finally sold in February 1985, to China United Shipbuilding Company for $1.4 million. She was finally broken up in Dalian, China.

Statistics
Commissioned: 28 October 1955
Displacement: 19,996 tonnes (full load)
Length: 198 metres
Engines: Two sets Parsons single reduction geared turbines, two shafts, 42,000shp
Speed: 24 knots
Range: 12,000nm at 14 knots
Crew: 1,335
Armament: 25 x 40mm Bofors, Sea Venom fighters, Sycamore helicopters, Skyhawk fighter-bombers, Sea King anti-submarine helicopters, Gannet anti-submarine aircraft, Wessex anti-submarine helicopters, Tracker anti-submarine aircraft.

HMAS Melbourne sailed from Glasgow for Australia on 11th March, 1956, reaching Sydney within two months, and bringing with her 808, 816 and 817 Squadrons (the first with Sea Venoms and the remaining two with Fairey Gannets). She also carried Bristol Sycamore helicopters.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
Why have'nt the aussie public started a revolution for independence ?

- There is a large movement for a republic in Austrailia at the moment.

Do they prefer to stay under the crown of Britain ?

- Probably not; I think polls show a majority would prefer a republic.......it's just that they have not decided what kind of republic they are going to replace the Monarchy with.

Till they do there is unlikely to be much change.

IIRC the Aussie politicians would prefer a President something more alike the US version (ie a powerful politician) but seeing as the people don't go a bundle on that idea and seemingly might like somthing more alike the Euro-style President (ie an a-political representitive of the people) no-one is in a hurry to make the changes just yet.

That's what I make of it from here in the UK anyway, maybe an Aussie member could enlighten us further?

Do the taxes of the aussie people get transfered to Britain?

- I don't think so, I think they have their own budget etc (there may be a contribution to the UK/Crown but if it exists I would imagine it would be cerimonial and very small).

Does Australia have control over its defence purchases, etc ?

- Check out the history. It's a long time since Aus bought significant numbers of British or European aircraft.

Is it possible for Britain to pass a law so as to make the Aussie cricket team play to play for England ?

- Why?
We're going to boot large amounts of antipodian butt in the coming ashes series.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

- Why?
We're going to boot large amounts of antipodian butt in the coming ashes series.

What English Cricket Team

RAAF should buy extra F-111'S Then rotate them through the squadrons after they have been updated to same level, Maybe another 10-15 airframes.

Probably do the same for the F/A-18'S.

Or scrape the whole plan and buy Typhoon or Rafale

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Yeah i guess its about time england got back the ashes.

But i guess u'll have to content with smashing some islamic bangladeshi bu** for now

England has suddenly turned into a great team after that islamic captain departed

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with Indian cricket team.
Enjoy watching.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza
RAAF should buy extra F-111'S Then rotate them through the squadrons after they have been updated to same level, Maybe another 10-15 airframes.

They should buy F-22s! They are already here, so no delays and are certainly more capable and have much higher range! And the price while quite high is sure thing (now down to the 100mil$ per plane flyaway) - the JSF could still face cost overruns.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Yeah i guess its about time england got back the ashes.

- Awesome, cricket debate on ATS, far out!

But i guess u'll have to content with smashing some islamic bangladeshi bu** for now

- Bangladesh are not the opposition some are, that is true......but, whatever, you can only play the side before you.

England has suddenly turned into a great team after that islamic captain departed

- Nassar Hussain was a good captain for a lot of his time, he had some good results.
......and it's not like he was the only England captain to have poor spells in charge, hmmm?

(......and what's all this 'Islamic' nonsense Stealth Spy? You trying to rag me?)

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by Jezza

They should buy F-22s! They are already here, so no delays and are certainly more capable and have much higher range! And the price while quite high is sure thing (now down to the 100mil$ per plane flyaway) - the JSF could still face cost overruns.

the only small detail to that excellent idea is:

1) They won`t be offered any

2) They don`t have the range / payload capability that the `vark has , let alone to over water loiter time which the AUS need

it`ll be a while till the order books are completed for the AF , let alone be ready to sell them to anyone!

i say , sell them F-111G`s (super aardvarks) then sell them F/B-2x as thats what they need (and super hornets)

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'd say that the poms NEED the Australian cricket team to play for them if they ever want the ashes back.... (and yes, I realise that's a contradiction).

As for the F-111, there are other problems than just age. The aircraft fleet has been grounded a few times in recent years because of cracks in the 'box' where the wings hinge. This is due to fatigue and a number of 'fix' solutions have been submitted. Another major problem is the number of maintenence workers on the F-111 are getting very sick indeed. There are a number of claims for compensation going at the moment.

My choice for a good long-range strike aircraft for Australia would be the Su-34 'platypus' (see? It's even got an aussie name, how cool is that?). Unfortunately, with us being such good vassals... ahem... allies with the US, I doubt that any major purchase other than US aircraft will be sanctioned any time soon. (I still don't know how we managed to get Eurocopter Tigers for the army, but I'm glad we did!). I choose this aircraft over others due to it's combat survivability, high dash speed, excellent range capacity (including a toilet and small kitchen on board for really long trips!) and good payload capacity.

For a replacement of the F-18, I'd probably go with the Typhoon or Gryphon. Very nice planes, no matter which way you slice them.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
It would orrrsumm to have 100 F-22's

And maybe some FB-22's if they eventuate.

D

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Why have'nt the aussie public started a revolution for independence ?

Independence? This country's already independent. UK has no control over the country. UK can't impose taxes, can't conscript Australians if they ever had to, no control over our Parliament or voting.

But we control their sporting teams on the field. (Rugby World Cup didn't count. Johnny Wilkinson doesn't count as a country. Someone ought to break his foot.)

new topics

top topics

join