It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Rumsfeld: China's Military Buildup A Threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
American Defense Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, has cited China's build up of missiles facing Taiwan as a threat to Asian secruity. "Since no nation threatens China, one must wonder: Why this growing investment? Why these continuing large and expanding arms purchases?" Rumsfeld said. He faced a heated rebuke from the Chinese Foreign Ministry Director for the Asian Bureau, Cui Tiankai, who said "Since the U.S. is spending a lot more money than China is doing on defense, the U.S. should understand that every country has its own security concerns and every country is entitled to spend money necessary for its own defense,"

news.yahoo.com
SINGAPORE - China's military buildup, particularly its positioning of hundreds of missiles facing Taiwan, is a threat to Asian security, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Saturday.

Rumsfeld rebuked China at a regional security conference here, saying it was pouring huge resources into its military and buying large amounts of sophisticated weapons despite facing no threat from any other country.

The Pentagon chief's remarks signaled a harder line against China from the Bush administration, which has criticized Beijing over trade and human rights issues but not directly challenged its military buildup.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is would be laughable if the consequences were not so serious.

The Americans criticising China for building up its army with no apparent threat? What did the Americans do from 1991 to 2001? Who threatend America during those years? The Americans spend more money on its military than any nation on the planet. They plan for all eventualities and are prepared to fight atleast 2 major wars and 1 small war simultaneously. Why can America do this but China cannot?

Also saying that placing missiles pointing to Taiwan is a military threat that is unwarranted is also questionable when coming from Rumsfeld. He said they are not needed because China and the U.S. have pledged to solve the Taiwanese problem peacefully. That would be logical if the U.S, on the same day, didnt move 15 F-117 Stealth planes to North Korea's border whilst reaffirming their commitment to solve North Korea's nuclear issue peacefully.

Just when you thought the Bush administration couldnt get any more hypocritical Rummy goes and says this rubbish.

[edit on 4/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The US and coalition attacked two countries which were harboring and helping terrorists against the US. One of those two countries was also breaking the agreements set forth under the UN, as Saddam was buying banned materials, banned missiles, banned missile technology and they even fired missiles upon the coalition which Iraq was not supposed to have.

Saddam was also ordering for his army to fire at US aircraft fighters which were enforcing the no-fly zone, and this alone is an act of war.

China is arming to invade a country which has no deals with terrorists, and has never been a threat to China, or even threatened China. They are arming to invade a country that has never been subject to the communist regime.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The joke's on us.. you have to know they sit around in the oval office at night laughing hysterically about the stuff they say. Dick and George had bourbon shooting out their noses when Don told them that one, and Condi peed her pants.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
yet more hypocracy out of the whitehouse. "we can do as we please but when someone else does it, then it is a threat to world peace". personaly i am seeing more and more that the real threat to wold peace is in fact the us government. if any country needs to be told to stop it's them. is it any wonder that countries want to gather arms, when bush and co runn arround acusseing everyone of being a threat, when thy themselves not only threaten but invade foren powers on lies and misinformation?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
And back in the real world, China is arming to invade Taiwan. A country that never hired terrorists against China. A country that was never part of the communist regime. A democratic country in which most of it's population want's to be declared once and for all that they are an independent country and not a lackey to the communist regime of China.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Muaddib:

I think the original post said US Military build-up 1991-2001. As you know, the Iraqi and Afghan campaigns were post 2001.

Does anyone here think that China would risk open war with the west just to call Taiwan their's? I hope not but the numbers don't lie- they are increasing their military's potency and stationing them in controversial places.

What is so special about Taiwan? Is it just Chinese nationalism and pride? Do the Japanese have some agreement to come to the aid of Taiwan if attacked?

I'm sorry I have only questions and no answers.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
China must have exactly the same concerns about terrorism as Mr. Bush. So what's the problem? Is the US the only one able to increase its military capabilities?
Wake up!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The United States citicizing other nation for military spending is laughable.

Let's look at the rank order:

www.armscontrolcenter.org...

Military: Expenditures - dollar figure (per capita)

3. United States $953.01 per person
79. China $43.44 per person

[edit on 4-6-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Back in the real world, Taiwan was founded as a haven for the Republic of China activists, terrorists by today's standards, who lost a war with Communists during the Chinese Civil War.

The ROC military administration on Taiwan immediately following the end of World War II in 1945 under Chen Yi was extremely corrupt. This, compounded with distrust due to the cultural differences between the natives and the newcomers, quickly led to the loss of popular support for the new administration, culminating in a series of severe clashes between the mainland military administration and native Taiwanese, in turn leading to the bloody 228 incident in which government troops massacred as many as 30,000 protesters and bystanders.

During the presidency of Chiang Ching-kuo between 1975 and 1987, Taiwan's political system began a gradual liberalization. Martial law, which had been in effect since 1948, was lifted in 1987. Upon Chiang's death, Vice-President Lee Teng-hui succeeded him as President of the ROC and Chairman of the KMT, and effective one-party rule was ended in 1991.

Taiwan was ruled by China for over 200 years, then the Japanese for 50 years, and now the Taiwanese for 60 years. It's obvious the Chinese want it back.

But, I don't think this is about the security of China, unless you want to equate security with power. Like any other war, this is a war for power. By the Chinese incorporating Taiwan, they gain a stronger economy and more land in the long run.

I don't think the Chinese are preoccupied with making excuses like the US, the Chinese just want the power. Their only excuse lies in the history of the Asian realm and not with speculation.

It's a sad thing that many will potentially die in such a war, any war for that matter, but that's what war is all about.

If this involved a full-fledged nation and not one only recognized by 25 countries, the circumstances might be different. But, of course China's military is a threat to Taiwan and the economies this may effect. Aside from that though, the only threat will be a more powerful China. If this is what countries are worried about, then one could say the same about the US or any other country who gains more resources and "conquered land".

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
America spends more on defense than every other nation on earth combined.

This sort of criticism is absolutely laughable, and explains by proxy, the reason the majority of the world hates us.

We're hypocritical idiots, or at least those are the people we choose to represent us.

Upsetting the delicate Asian balance? China's doing that? What about the delicate global balance? Isn't that more important? I think so. So who's messing with the delicate global balance? America the beautiful.

I read this news last night, and I laughed..oh how I laughed...

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Comparing the U.S.' military spending to China's(a communist country) is absurd. And all of you trying to do so know it's absurd. China is building up armaments around a free country that has never done anything to anybody. The United States has freed over 980 million people from tyranny in it's history.

What Rumsfeld said was not hypocritical. He was pointing out the obvious. For christ sakes! They're communist! I think that history has showed us that whenever a communist country starts bulding up their military and surrounding free countries, it never leads to anything good.

Yeah! The Bush administration are the hypocrits.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me how China is a communist nation?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They're not communists but if you say communist enough it sounds scary.

COMMUNIST
COMMUNIST
COMMUNIST!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well, let's see.

The world fact book says that they're coummunist:
www.cia.gov...

Every almanac says they are:
www.infoplease.com...

Wikipedia says they are:
en.wikipedia.org...

But hey! If a few of you say they aren't communist or communism isn't anything to be afraid of; I guess it isn't!

[edit on 6/4/2005 by HALLOWEEN78]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
WEEN
Your links disagree with you. China is an oligarchy, according to Wiki.

But it's immaterial, communism isn't the boogey man. It's just another half-cocked theory of government, like democracy.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The CIA factbook's definition of communism doesn't even fit with the classification of China's government. The only thing I see in it is the domination of one party. But, I guess we can just overlook the liberalization of China's economy and the growing disparity between rich and poor.

Sorry, but as Wyrde and Wikipedia have stated, it's much closer to an oligarchy.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Okay. I will give that to you. It may be closer to an oligarchy. Just let us not forget what China has done in the past. Tiananmen square rings a bell. They are not to be trusted in the least. And calling America and Americans a bunch of hypocritical idiots is absolutely rediculous.

TPL

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Didn't China recently praise Uzbekistan for dealing with Islamic Terrorists?

So maybe China does have concerns about terrorism.

It's their right to build a large army though, why should only the USA be allowed to do.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Perhaps their a real threat..their also an ongoing economic threat; their also threatening to take Taiwan - on this one America should stay the hell away and sweetly ask that if China does reincorprate Taiwan - China does it with minimal blood spatter of the Taiwanese People.

Then US should stand down from other threats to China re Taiwan, except MFN loss.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Taiwan was ruled by China for over 200 years, then the Japanese for 50 years, and now the Taiwanese for 60 years. It's obvious the Chinese want it back.

I would use the term "ruled" pretty loosely in this case. China hardly ever cared about Taiwan until it was realized how much of a tool Taiwan could be against the expansion of US policy. Read "Formosa Calling" (Shackleton) and "Formosa Betrayed" (Kerr) to get a good idea of how little China actually knew about Taiwan prior to and during Japanese rule. It's unfortunate that people like Roosevelt and many others allowed the corrupt Chaing-Soong family free reign over a beautiful, peaceful island.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join