It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit charges slave labor goods 'Made in USA'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

WASHINGTON - In the first-ever attempt to hold U.S. retailers and manufacturers accountable for mistreatment of workers in foreign-owned factories operating on U.S. soil, litigation was filed Jan. 13 in California and Saipan against 18 high-profile U.S. clothing manufacturers and retailers.

These include The Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, The Limited, J.C. Penny, May Company, Sears and Wal-Mart.

These companies are accused of violating federal law by engaging in a "racketeering conspiracy" using indentured labor - predominantly young women from Asia - to produce clothing on the island of Saipan. (Saipan is part of the Northern Mariana Islands, a U.S. Commonwealth in the South Pacific.)
Article

Tom delay visited with some of the manufacturing owners. Tom delay told them if he was the majority whip he would not bring up the subject in the house since he would be in control of the schedule. We are condeming China for slave labor and we are letting it happen in a country under our control. This is not acceptable!!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
NO it isn't acceptable and makes me wonder just how much of this goes on up here in Canada... At least they are starting to crack down this practice. As for shocking .. I wouldn't go that far as you know just how corrupts and cruel us humans can be when it comes to the allmighty dollar.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
My guess is that Canada has some slave labor in your bigger cities like Vancouver. But I would say overall not as much as America. I friend of mine has a business in kinda of a strip mall and his next door neighbors business was taking off the old labels on clothing and putting on a made in america lablel for the limited. there business outgrew that building and they moved to a bigger facility.

BTW I voted for you. Good luck!!!!

join