It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Blogs May Have FEC Place Regulations On Them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
We have witnessed an explosion of political blogs on the internet the past few years. As a result, the Federal Election Commission is considering placing some regulations on blogs, particularly of a political nature. One of those rules will be to disclose any political funding they may be receiving for sharing their political views.

www.foxnews.com
The Federal Election Commission is considering whether to require political bloggers to disclose whether they are receiving funds from a political campaign, the latest step in a larger debate over whether political activity on the Internet should be regulated by the government.

The explosion of political blogs on the Internet has invited the focus of campaign finance reformers, who say these Web sites can be used with virtually no controls to communicate campaign material, messages, advertisements and attacks against political opponents.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is a great idea. Blogs currently aren't regulated in any way, and political candidates could start as many as they would like to use in smearing a political adversary. We've seen many accusations, some with proof, of bloggers being paid by politicians to continue to express their opinions. It would be a good thing, in my opinion, to have to disclose this so people could know when the possibility exists that that person's opinions may have been influenced with money.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
If blogs are receiving money from political campaigns or 527 groups they should have to clearly disclose that on their site. Last election cycle many liberal blogs secretly received funds from George Soros's organizations but didn't disclose it until after the election.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The FEC needs to stay out of my right to free speech.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Since when does our government care about the constitution?

This message was paid for by a fund to elect Homer Simpson for President.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Since when does our government care about the constitution?

This message was paid for by a fund to elect Homer Simpson for President.

Already thought we did elect him?

Bush=Homer Simpson
Cheney= Mr. Burns
Laura=Marge Simpson
Rumsfeld=Smithers
Asscroft=Reverend Lovejoy (now defrocked)
Wolfowitz= Moe
Powell= Lisa Simpson (now disowned from family)

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This will be difficult to regulate.

1) What's stopping a blogger from lying about it?

2) Will violators be prosecuted?

3) Who is gonna spend the time and money to prove cases one way or the other?

I guess they're just gonna try and say "it's required that you do this" and then if any evidence turns up after the fact they'll be able to take action, but they won't actively investigate complaints without already having evidence supplied to them. (That's how I see this playing out, anyways.)

Zip

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If blogs are receiving money from political campaigns or 527 groups they should have to clearly disclose that on their site. Last election cycle many liberal blogs secretly received funds from George Soros's organizations but didn't disclose it until after the election.

And many Conservative blogs recieved money as well from Right Wing groups, lets not be one-sided here...

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I think this is a great idea. Blogs currently aren't regulated in any way...

My God were you people were born (blank)?!

IT'S FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!

Regulate my pen and I guarantee you MY SWORD.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Oh thank god for that, its only political issues.

ONE thing you must remember is that once one regulation has been put on your freedom of speech this has given them a base to work on.

It will then not be a matter of if but rather when they start to regulate sites like this one. I sure hope not

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Regulate my pen and I guarantee you MY SWORD.

But if you're being payed to write in support of something then surely it isn't really your pen anymore?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I guess they're just gonna try and say "it's required that you do this" and then if any evidence turns up after the fact they'll be able to take action, but they won't actively investigate complaints without already having evidence supplied to them. (That's how I see this playing out, anyways.)

Zip
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason, I think that weather or not they investigate will be determined by what those political views being expressed are!!!

And, well, if they hassle you enough, and cost you enough money, you will abandon you blog, they won't have to prove anything!

But if their was fair and balanced enforcement, well, it would be interesting to see how many disclaimers would pop up on sites like this....confirming the suspicions some of us have....

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Yeah, it's s tricky issue. Maybe the FEC should come at it from the other side and start a campaign to inform the public that many blogs may be paid political advertisements and leave it at that.

Zip

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They have no right to regulate the internet like that... it is an infringement upon first amendment rights, and I only hope they choose not to.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
They're not stopping Free Speech at all, they're just making people show if they are being funded or not which is a good idea. Too many "Blogs" are set up to win votes by parties now. If we find out that the Government is funding these we should have the right to know; left or right wing parties. This way we can make a valid judgement on the blog.

Edit:

We should have the right to know who is being funded by who, Blogs, Newspapers, etc, so we can actually see what is going on. This is a step in the right direction. It won't stop them from saying it, it will just show us "why" they might have those views.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Odium]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Unless some one is putting a gun to your head to go find political blogs I highly doubt you or any one else is reading a blog unless they choose to do it.

top topics

join