It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israel: Syria Test Fired Scud Over Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Israel has announced that Syria has test fired 3 Scud missiles, one of which broke up over Turkey. The missiles are believed to be technology bought from North Korea and are capable of carrying a chemical warhead. The Turkish ambassador to Washington, Osman Faruk Logoglu, confirmed Israel's story but said they had been in contact with Damascus and that "during a (Syrian) military exercise, there was a technical mishap. The Syrian government was sorry about this,"

news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Syria test-fired three Scud missiles last week, including one that broke up over Turkey, senior Israeli security officials said on Friday.

The officials, citing intelligence data, said the missiles, using North Korean technology and designed to carry chemical warheads, were fired last Friday from northern Syria in the first such tests by Israel's arch-foe since 2001.

One of the missiles was fired southwest toward the Mediterranean, the Israeli officials said, and broke up over the Turkish province of Hatay, shedding debris over two villages.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why is Israel trying to stir up anti-Syrian and anti-North Korean world sentiment?

Turkey itself is not worried about the Syrian scud missile and has sorted it out between them. Why did Israel stick its nose into Syrian/Turkish business?

Last month Israel accidentally fired a missile into Lebanon. Whats their point?

[edit on 3/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Israel has accused Syria

"accused"????

Israel had film of the launching and breakup.

All the missiles were launched from northern Syria, near Minakh. One was sent about 250 miles to southernmost Syria, near the Jordanian border. The one that broke up was fired southwest toward the Mediterranean, over the Turkish province of Hatay, the ancient Antioch, and shed debris over two villages there.

The test was the first time Syria had fired a missile over another country (and the first such Syrian missile tests since 2001) , but Israeli officials said, little was especially startling about the tests - except the embarrassment to NATO-member Turkey and the timing, during the Lebanese elections.

Rebekka

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think you mean Lebanon fired a missile into Israel

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Could be why they're concerned...

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Fixed the "accused" mistake.

Mythatsabigprobe, when I said Israel "accidently" fired a missile into Lebanon I was refering to the mortars that were launched into a Lebanese territory "by mistake".

An Israeli military source in Jerusalem said that soldiers fired a shell 'by mistake' that fell onto Lebanese territory.

Lebanese police have reported that the Israeli army fired eight artillery shells into southern Lebanon on Monday, near the disputed border region of the Shebaa Farms, causing damage but no casualties.

Israel fires shells into southern Lebanon

[edit on 3/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Interesting,wonder why they have to test it over other people's territory?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Apparently it was an accident and was not intended to enter into Turkey. The Turkish are satisfied with Syria's explanation but Israel is trying to fuel a fire that didnt even start. Thats what interesting here and why the mention of North Korea?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
interesting this coming now, seems to be linked to a few things that seem to point to increased tension or maybe some forward planning to action.

"Within the last 2 weeks the following has happened that seems to be a tad worrying

While European negotiators focus on Iran's development of enriched plutonium, U.S. intelligence officials say Tehran already has completed all of the elements required for an atomic bomb.

The news has stunned President Bush, according to Geostrategy Direct, an intelligence news service led by national security reporter Bill Gertz of the Washington Times"
Link to Stunned Bush

and a week later Another Axis of Evil club member N.Korea had the Dick Cheeney Experiance Just as bush was recovering from the Iran news Dick Cheeney parked 15 Stealth Bombers on their doorstep!

Well in true to form they did a good and as always sane "Comedy Ali" analysis
on the situation calling good old Dick
A "cruel monster and bloodthirsty beast". Im sure they have the same script writers as the Godzilla movie ? whats scarier is thats is it off the cuff or adlib??? I wonder?lol
Anyhow the North Koreans wont give back the dead soldiers fromt he korean war now that they met Cheeney and his Invisible Planes so maybe thats why the thread original source was mentioning N.Korea?
Cheeney aka the cruel monster and bloodthirsty beast

Im being a bit light hearted about this really because to tell you the truth Im just a bit worried about both Syria and Nkorea and Iran all acting up at the same time... I just hope there is no more war especially as recent talk within the administration is more leaned to tactical nuclear preemptive strikes

"This blurring of the nuclear/conventional line, wittingly or unwittingly, could heighten the risk that the nuclear option will be used. Exhibit A may be the Stratcom contingency plan for dealing with "imminent" threats from countries such as North Korea or Iran, formally known as CONPLAN 8022-02."
Washington Post - Conplan 8022

:-(

hey reminds me of Stanley Kubricks "Dr Strangelove"

MischeviouslyWorried

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Apparently it was an accident and was not intended to enter into Turkey. The Turkish are satisfied with Syria's explanation but Israel is trying to fuel a fire that didnt even start. Thats what interesting here and why the mention of North Korea?

Because they used N.K. technology.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
They know that for certain do they? Or is it proof enough that they say its so?

Its a little too convenient that North Korea is dragged into it. The Bush administration hasnt exactly kept its distain for Syria and North Korea quiet. Nothing like good pals to set you up a raison d'etre for attacking two obviously disparate arch-enemies.

I predict (in this order)

- North Korea is vapourized for apparent missile technology proliferation to terrorist sponsoring countries (Syria)

- Syria is invaded by Israel under the protection of the United States

- Iran is forced to protect Syria under the Mutual Defence Pact and America bombs its nuclear plant with nuclear bunker busters and "protects" Iraq's border when Iran retaliates.

[edit on 3/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Which country is the most impartial in all of this hoopalah? Turkey.

What's Turkey got to say about it? "No worries.
"

Everyone else involved in this incident has an agenda of some sort, so you can read the true intent of any of their reactions or statements like a book.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Looks basically like a joint Syrian/Turkish military exercise, perhaps to assess arrow defenses against the newer Scud type. I don't know what Israel is meddling into it. They should rather care about homemade hezbollah drones reaching tel-aviv.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Moretti]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I don't know what Israel is meddling into it.

That's right... I guess Israel shouldn't be worried when one of its arch enemies test fires Scud missiles capable of carrying chemical warheads. The nerve of those Jews! Right?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

I don't know what Israel is meddling into it.

That's right... I guess Israel shouldn't be worried when one of its arch enemies test fires Scud missiles capable of carrying chemical warheads. The nerve of those Jews! Right?

So you are saying that the Syrians don't have a right to defense as well?

Damn, the nerve of those Syrians.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yeah those poor Syrians dont have a right to be worried about Israel's nuclear weapons and the Americans on their doorstep do they. They shouldnt have the right to beef up their military capability should they?

No one is saying that Israel shouldnt be worried by these tests. What Im saying is that Syria should have the same rights to protect itself from Israeli agression (remember the Golan Heights) as Israel does Syrian. That equates to Syria's rights to arm herself as much as they can afford, like Israel does.

top topics

join