It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Add MA to the list states that have made spanking illegal...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This may seem trivial on the surface, but Massachusettes is now counted among the 28 other states in the US that have made spanking your child illegal. This is not just an issue for the US. Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Austria, Germany, Italy, Cyprus, Croatia, Israel, Latvia, and Canada have outlawed the practice also. (entire countries)

And they wonder why our children are becoming so violent and "disobedient". I'm presently trying to find statistics and research regarding this issue and will post as I find them...

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You information is inaccurate.

In fact, the town of Brookline passed a non-binding resolution to "discourage spanking" by parents and child-care workers. It has no basis or legal binding in law.

Massachusetts is, however, one of the 27 US states that does prohibit spanking in public schools.

The complete story can be found here.

I think this quote from the article just about sums it up:

"Critics of the measure described it as a waste of the legislative body's time.

'It's the stupidest article ever to come before Town Meeting,' said Fred Lebow, who has served in the body for 14 years.

The main reason the measure passed, he said, was because so many people left the meeting because they didn't care to hear the debate again. 'It doesn't mean anything,' Lebow said. 'It doesn't have any significance. Most people don't even understand it.' "

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well then, what kind of "discouragement" do you think they will impose? As far as "nonbinding" goes, so it is the officials decision as to whether or not the parent is charged.

Today children aren't raised as much as they should be by parents. Unfortunately single parents, in many cases, have to work two jobs to make ends meet. With two parents, both may work, leaving daycares, schools, babysitters, and TV to raise their children. I'm not trying to blame parents...they're just trying to provide for their children. With the government drawing up the guidelines for most of these alternatives, it makes me wonder if eventually the state might confiscate our children at birth...

new topics

join