It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF losing the Edge

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
HockeyGuy,

Using the figures available on the USAF website and the UK MOD website for a USAF FJ pilot to get to aircraft selection stage (ie F15, F16 etc) they will have completed 210 hours of flying during 46 weeks of training.

The equivalent RAF FJ pilot will have completed 316 hours of flying during 106 weeks of training.

I am awaiting further info on OCUs for various types.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
HockeyGuy,

Using the figures available on the USAF website and the UK MOD website for a USAF FJ pilot to get to aircraft selection stage (ie F15, F16 etc) they will have completed 210 hours of flying during 46 weeks of training.

The equivalent RAF FJ pilot will have completed 316 hours of flying during 106 weeks of training.

I am awaiting further info on OCUs for various types.

Cheers

BHR

But annually, USAF pilots typically get more hours, and the training is much harder.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The thing is, American pilots get 210 hours of flight training before graduation. UK pilots get 316 hours of flight training before graduation. Usually, after the end of training, pilots don't get to fly around much, maybe once in a few years another Iraq war, but between that not much flying. What I'm trying to say is, US pilots train more intensely for a shorter period of time while UK pilots train at a more relaxed pace for a longer time.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
The thing is, American pilots get 210 hours of flight training before graduation. UK pilots get 316 hours of flight training before graduation. Usually, after the end of training, pilots don't get to fly around much, maybe once in a few years another Iraq war, but between that not much flying. What I'm trying to say is, US pilots train more intensely for a shorter period of time while UK pilots train at a more relaxed pace for a longer time.

Both the USAF and RAF train extensively during war time (like now), where the will get a ton of hours, even during peace time they will both get a lot of flying hours, just not as much as war time.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by Hockeyguy567]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Do the pace of training and the flight hours differ in the USAF depending on the fighter the pilot will fly like the F-16 F-15 F/A-22?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If you are talking about fighter planes, then there is a bit of difference, maybe like 5-10 hours but not much. If you fly bombers like the B-52s, you won't get to fly it for 200 to 300 hours, simply because they guzzle fuel

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Doesn't the American pilots experience come into play? It would seem the US (and UK) fliers have had more combat experience in varying terrain than most any other country due to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I live very close to a NAS and my ex-girlfriend worked at an on-base restaraunt. She met many pilots from Israel, UK, France, India, and I think even Japan. If the US is so far behind, why send your pilots to train here?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Yes while most US pilots graduating the academy have a couple of hundred fight hours on, they are not directly sent into war. The typical pilot flying in Iraq or Afghanistan now probably has a couple of thousand flight hours under him. By the time the graduates are sent into a war they will have more flight hours under their belt, and a pilot in the USAF probably has or will have more combat experience then most other pilots.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
USAF is not really losing the edge... just lowering the training hours. The USAF is still the AF to beat, even with the training cut, its pilots are still the best trained in the world and has the most hours (and UK
). Now you know where your taxes are going towards

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I thought it was a general consensus that the IAF (israel) had the best pilots in the world..

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The thing is Israel hasn't been holding exercises with anyone, while the US is always going around having wars like Iraq and Afghanistan while also holding many exercises with other countries.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join