It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The raw truth about mental disorders(They are not all the same)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Do not close this thread
I fully understand that a similar thread exists on the same forum, but the topics of this thread will include the differances between mental disorders. In here, i will show people how different disorders can affect people. And, thank you infinite for inspiring me to honesty.

Why do i know all of this 'stuff' about mental disorders
No, i am not using this post to express an opinion, everything here is the truth. Why do i know all of this stuff? I have a widespread knowledge of most mild (usually more common)mental disorders. I myself have a just smattering of them, and i have many friends who have some sort of a mental disorder or another. Also, i have done hours upon hours of research in this field of information as it intrests me greatly.

Common misconseption: 'disorder is synonamous with disease'
Wrong! If someone tells you that a mental disorder is a disease, they are incorrect. A person who has a mental disorder has absolutely nothing wrong with them. They are simply different. Their brain does function differently, but that is how they are, how they were ment to be.

Mild vs. serious disorders
To start this off, i will list some of the more common mental disorders:
ADD, ADHD, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, paranoia, bipolar. Even these can lead to a serious mental disorder, though. Just because a disease is mild does not mean that it should be taken lightly, or that it does not exist. Some people (not liking what they don't know) will make the statement that all of these are made up.
While mild disorders tend to affect the thought processes, and cause other strange habbits/behaviours, serious disorders can be dangerous. Some disorders will cause parts of the brain to stop performing their normal functions. These can leave people out of control and disoriented (not knowing what they themselves are doing). I have a friend who is bipolar. Most of the time, he is just like everyone else, but sometimes he is totally different. one time, he passed out and woke up with a suicide note infront of him. Yes, this is very real.
interuption
sorry, i need to go take one of my finals. i will take some more time out of my busy schedule to finish what i want to say very soon.
-tom

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
more...

Moving quickly to my next point as i am typing this in between final exams

beautiful minds
It is known that people who have mental disorders have rare talents. Some are artistic. Others can be abnormally intelligent. It is always true that we take the good with the bad.
This causes much frustration as people only see us for our abilities, and don't know how we think. If people actually cared about us and how our minds work, it would be a great help. That is the point of this thread. I am trying to battle the ignorance pertaining to this subject.
If you are reading this and have a question, Please post it. I will answer anything i can.
For me, everyday is a battle...
next test

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Cool thread...

I have hypercognition. I think almost constantly about lots of things. I'm very logical, have a great love and grasp of math, physics, and to a lesser extent other sciences. My verbal skills are almost non-existant and while being very social I tend to often speak without regard.

I also tend to see the world in different terms from most people with everything being hazey and a set of probabilities, but put a ton of faith those. I do not think anything is "truth" but rather the most probable truth. My IQ test out around 140-170 depending on the test.

The biggest issue in my life is that I think in ideals and this causes me lots of social problems. I think honesty, directness, and speaking in logic and facts are the best way to act, but this is counter to society which has formalities and half-truths that seem important to others.

The problem is that I think humans, by nature, are good trusting interpersonal people, but in modern society these things are replaced by social customs, shame, and secrets. So even though I'm an open book, people are either uncomfortable with that or do not reciprocate and it causes problems.

I'd love some feed back on this.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I know your type

Originally posted by Quest
I'm very logical, have a great love and grasp of math, physics, and to a lesser extent other sciences. My verbal skills are almost non-existant and while being very social I tend to often speak without regard.
I also tend to see the world in different terms from most people... I do not think anything is "truth" but rather the most probable truth. My IQ test out around 140-170 depending on the test.
I think honesty, directness, and speaking in logic and facts are the best way to act, but this is counter to society which has formalities and half-truths that seem important to others.
So even though I'm an open book, people are either uncomfortable with that or do not reciprocate and it causes problems.
I'd love some feed back on this.

summary
You are very inteligent, logical, honest.

My take:
I am going to guess that some people label you as arrogant because you have all the right answers, and you use them. You tell people 'the way it is' to help them, and they think that you are just trying to sound smart?
Taking a tactical aproach to everything, you are one of those 'lets do something' people with the burn out friends.
Do you find yourself saying "how can you not care?" to all of the people around you?
You can't accept reality unless you can grasp it.
Currious one.

Correct me if i have been false.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I can type unusually fast. I also have been complimented as being a "good" writer. I was a child prodigy on the piano, and play guitar on occasion. No jokes please..I'm really good with my hands.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be telling you things, or you're supposed to tell me things? Okay. I just re-read your thread. Then I re-read it again. And again.

No short term memory. Long-term memory is too precise comes in flashes. Primary Diagnosis: schizo-affective disorder.

I take my meds to the T most of the time, but my questions are these:

What if the people and orbs and atomic particles that I see really are there? I mean, we can't see electricity, but we know it's there. What if I'm right and it's the rest of the world that is wrong? What if these fat-pills just supress a knowledge that few people have? What if I'm superhuman?

Not trying to be an egomaniac, but everyone gets tired of hearing me ask them that. Then they go and say the reason I am asking these questions are because I am indeed quite sick. What's your take?

Dot.

p.s. okay, the mood swings I can accept as being an imbalance, but how does anyone know that what I see is true or false? I know the difference between right and wrong. I just don't know the difference between real and unreal.

[edit on 3-6-2005 by dotgov101]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
My belief is that when some people are so talent and geunis that there brain copies mostly on his talents thus leaving little for other such as social

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well... I had a bad experience with a mental disorder. When I was 15, which wasn't too long ago. I wanted to see what it was like to be a rebel. So i did the typical teenage thing. I went to parties, and drank. I want to make it clear that I did not do drugs. Bc drugs are bad. But back to what I was saying. I learned after a few months of doing that, what a crapy lifestyle it was to live. I then started cutting, but I only did it maybe 10 times total. I didn't do it very much at all. But I thought of suicide a couple of times.
I'm what you would call a Christian, and my religion is very important to me. I started talking to God about what was going on in my life. He helped me to understand what was going on in my life. He helped me along with my Pastor to get things back on track. I was happy and everything. Then I got excepted into the Congressional Page Program in D.C. That was such an honor for me to have. I felt greatly blessed.
This is when it all started. While I was in D.C. being a page, I had one just aweful day. I mean aweful. And for no reason I just cut myself. After I did it I felt so bad. Becuase I knew I shouldn't had do that. I vowed from that day on I wouldn't even think of it. Which I've kept my promise to till this day. Anyways, I felt bad about what I did so I told one of my freinds. You know thinking it wasn't that big a deal. I mean I didnt' even bleed. I just felt so bad it entered my mind. Well after I told one of my freinds. She freaked out and when and told my RA. Then the RA person went and told the counselor, then the counselor went and told the person in charge. Who is the Clerk. They all freaked out and made me go to a doctor. HE was a naval doctor by the way. I had to tell him everything, So I told him about the time when I was 15 and so on. I also told him. I wasn't dealing with those issues anymore. And that what I had done the other day was a huge mistake and that it wouldn't happen again. I also told him that God was helping me deal with all of my issues. And that I was extremely happy. He thought I was crazy for believing in God, and said I had a borderline personality. So of course I was sent home. Which I'm still deeply upset by that fact. Becuase nothing was wrong with my life. When I got home I had to do all of these tests. Which none of them proved I had a borderline personality. I was never allowed back to be a page. So I eneded up missing an oppurtinty of a lifetime, bc of some misunderstanding. I'm now 17 and I feel more emotionally damaged from all that, then when I was 15 and being a rebel.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
dotgov101, ive always thought my skitzophrenia was a disability and ive never looked at the possibility that its more of a "super human" ability. thank you for that point of view maybe what we see is really there, what we dream really is true, i dont usually believe in that sort of thing but the other day my ex-girlfreind was talking about some of the dreams i told her about and what happened in them came true to the weeks later, that is cool, but it bothers me becuase i have dreams that aren't anyone ever wants to come true. and eversince everything started my outlook on everything has changed, i can see and feel things from other people position which befor i was a very selfish person. thank you for your veiwpoint dotgov101 it really helps

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I don't know if I'm supposed to be telling you things, or you're supposed to tell me things? Okay. I just re-read your thread. Then I re-read it again. And again.
No short term memory. Long-term memory is too precise comes in flashes.
Not trying to be an egomaniac, but everyone gets tired of hearing me ask them that. Then they go and say the reason I am asking these questions are because I am indeed quite sick. What's your take?

Dot, here is my take

I could never live with that. My brain works if i can't find a peice of information, i simply hit the 'search' button. If i still cant find it, i hit the 'panic' button. This results in a total system meltdown.

anyway

If you had no short term memory, you would not be able to finish your sentances. You Must have a short term memory, it is just that you have dificulty transfering data from your short term to long term memory. Information enters your short term memory pushing out what doesn't fit. Instead of transfering the oldest ('old' is relative)information in your short term memory to your long term memory, it is released into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again. The problem that you face is that your brain can't recognize the important information and store it. I may be able to help you, i know many people with the same problem.

hope this was a help

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Someone with better credentials than yours has beaten you to the punch. The fact that you seem to have overlooked is that those with "mental illness" suffer from being the way they are, regardless of what label you use or whether you use one or not. The reality is that certain medications and treatments help those who are suffering from these conditions.

www.szasz.com...

www.google.com...

[edit on 05/6/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Hi i woul like to know on how to deal people how are stuborn

Is it a mental disorder to be stuborn and never satisify on what you get?

another thing how could i tell that i have a mentaly disorder and how do i solve it myself before it gets bigger

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hak3r_13
maybe what we see is really there, what we dream really is true.....but the other day my ex-girlfreind was talking about some of the dreams i told her about and what happened in them came true to the weeks later ... and eversince everything started my outlook on everything has changed, i can see and feel things from other people position which befor i was a very selfish person. thank you for your veiwpoint dotgov101 it really helps

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I used to have dreams that came true. I would tell people the exact details, and it would happen. Some of them were downright wierd (including a dream about the manager of a diner having a black eye), but they happened.

Now my dreams are common. Last night I dreamt about Benicio del Toro. Grin.

Though I question myself and my diagnosis, I still listen to my doctors and everything they have to offer. I mean, they literally saved my life. It's a small payback to have to take meds. Plus everyone tells me how much better I am now.

I'm glad your outlook has changed. It means we're growing. As far as I'm concerned, it's okay to ask "what if?" as long as I don't take it too far. Besides, my religion says there is no way I can be superhuman. There's already a chosen candidate for that.

Oh welllll...I'll keep taking the meds and making the bed...but it's healthy to ask "what if?"

Dot.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas

another thing how could i tell that i have a mentaly disorder and how do i solve it myself before it gets bigger

Contact a mental health professional. If you are in school, a school counselor or the campus mental health center can be a good place to start. Please, don't rely on the advice you receive here, especially in this thread.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer

Dot, here is my take

I could never live with that. My brain works if i can't find a peice of information, i simply hit the 'search' button. If i still cant find it, i hit the 'panic' button. This results in a total system meltdown.

Yeah, it's difficult at times, but people have grown accustomed to my asking, "Did I already tell you this?" and "I already said that, didn't I?" Ted has fun with it. If he wants to see a movie that I've already "seen," he'll tell me that I already saw it.

If you had no short term memory, you would not be able to finish your sentances.
Nawww...the short-term memory loss is a result of a head injury I sustained several years ago. It's been documented and filed by the area's best neurologist. The loss varies at any given moment. Sometimes I can't finish my sentences without looking up at the screen and re-reading what I just wrote. Other times it lasts a few hours. This is why I will sometimes go days without responding to a thread, even a thread I started.

The problem that you face is that your brain can't recognize the important information and store it. I may be able to help you, i know many people with the same problem.

I'm currently in the process of "training my brain." It's been explained to me that it's an organ that needs exercise. So I'll open an old calculus book to improve my logic skills, or reply to a thread to improve my communication skills.

Now I'm re-vamping my yoga to improve relaxation techniques.

But I still need my meds....
Dot.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Someone with better credentials than yours has beaten you to the punch. The fact that you seem to have overlooked is that those with "mental illness" suffer from being the way they are, regardless of what label you use or whether you use one or not. The reality is that certain medications and treatments help those who are suffering from these conditions.

www.szasz.com...

www.google.com...

Thomas Szasz developed a test that I took once. It was much more accurate than the MMPI. We always thought it was the "Shots" Test, as shots were a common thing back then. I didn't know it was named after a developer.
Dot.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by dotgov101]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dotgov101
What if the people and orbs and atomic particles that I see really are there? I mean, we can't see electricity, but we know it's there. What if I'm right and it's the rest of the world that is wrong? What if these fat-pills just supress a knowledge that few people have? What if I'm superhuman?

[edit on 3-6-2005 by dotgov101]

I would like to ask the *Above*........

But Also......These things *Below*

Constant Surviellance.......
Constant Phone Tapping....
Conversations with Past Historical people....Nephrotecy (spelling?)
The 'obsession' with the 666 Devil
The 'having telepathic' conversations
Aliens Stuff***
Creating 'time machines' with Einstine......

What if these ARE true.......(these are Not My delusions by the way)

Not that I would be embarrassed to admit it if they were, not at all. I am just pointing this out......

***the Alien thing......well, not being able to go into details, but I know they are around......So, I guess I shouldnt be asking "What if this is true"......But perhaps 'some' aspects seem a little far fetched.....Like being able to tell the Aliens to Attack the Government, or something, and they "Will"......NO YOu Cant Have This Persons Phone Number!!......LoL....Just kidding

Anyway......The way this person describes this stuff to me.......It sounds SO true, I don't know......, This is why Im asking this hard question....

Is it true, but how do we really know?.......How can we 'ever' know.....? Or Can we.....

As someone *above* says.....Just because it is not What 'Everyone' Else sees, hears, or experiences.......How do we know it is NOT There?

Why cant they Just create a Drug......Med.......that somehow 'calms' down this delusional Stage.....Olanzipane, doesn't do this.....The Side affects are really 'Bad'......I can't believe that by now, they haven't discovered a Drug.....that can help these people Live amongst us in a 'successful' way.......and Not be Scared of stuff......

Im in Australia......Are there Meds in America, or somewhere that are better than here. I know our Goverment is very 'strict' about what they let in here. And we don't have the types of drugs that 'other' countrys do......

Thanx

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Jacqua]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas

Contact a mental health professional. If you are in school, a school counselor or the campus mental health center can be a good place to start. Please, don't rely on the advice you receive here, especially in this thread.

We dont have one but friend will do fine

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
eazy_mas:

No, you should find someone who knows how to do psychoanalysis and diagnose mental disorders. I can not do that, although i know alot about it.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

The fact that you seem to have overlooked is that those with "mental illness" suffer from being the way they are, regardless of what label you use or whether you use one or not.

No, i never over looked it. You can find this in the post that started this thread:

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer
Common misconseption: 'disorder is synonamous with disease'
Wrong! If someone tells you that a mental disorder is a disease, they are incorrect. A person who has a mental disorder has absolutely nothing wrong with them. They are simply different. Their brain does function differently, but that is how they are, how they were ment to be.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I am currently looking up the answer to this question:

Im in Australia......Are there Meds in America, or somewhere that are better than here. I know our Goverment is very 'strict' about what they let in here. And we don't have the types of drugs that 'other' countrys do.

Please, i am awaiting your questions, ask away!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join