It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing 787 vs Airbus A350. Which will you choose ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Which will you choose if you were to own an airline and why?

Argument form Airbus : The A350-800, with more seats than the 787-8, will be able to fly about 300 miles farther than the Boeing plane with about 4 percent lower fuel burn per seat and lower maintenance cost per seat. The cash operating costs to the airline per seat will be less than for the 787-8, as will the plane's empty weight per seat.

The fourth incarnation brings the promise of 60 percent advanced materials, 37 percent of which composites and 23 percent new aluminum lithium alloys. The rear fuselage as well and wing would be made from composites, and new cabin comforts include bigger windows and special interior lighting to match Boeing developments.

The A350 will be offered in two versions. The A350-800 will typically seat 258 passengers, while the A350-900 has a stretched fuselage and 316 seats.

The A350-800 and A350-900, based on the A330-200 and A330-300 respectively, but with range increases of “1000 miles or more” – that would be 7650 NM (14170 km) and 6600 NM (12225 km).

Airbus would deliver the A350-8 by 2010 and the bigger, A350-9 six months later. Boeing's 787-8 enters service in 2008.

Boeing's arguments : Moving the crew rest below the cockpit as Airbus did on the A350 eats up valuable cargo space.

The A350 is based on the A330, an airplane designed 15 years ago. And while the A350 would use the 787 engines, they'll be adapted to the A330 platform, so you won't get the efficiency of a totally integrated design.

After claiming a 12 per cent lower fuel consumption per trip in December 2004, Airbus reformulated the gain in May 2005 as being 15 per cent less sfc by the GEnx against the CF6-80E1. It also said the A350 would have 15 per cent less maintenance costs.

The A350 still offers a maximum of operational commonality with the current A330/A340 line - including Common Type Rating with the A330. It will also be certified as a variant of the A330.

Boeing's 787-8 is designed to offer a 30 percent improvement in operating economics over the 767 it replaces, thanks to new engines from General Electric Co. and Rolls-Royce Plc and to extensive use of lighter-weight composite materials.

It's a heavier airplane, and has higher operating costs than the 787. And the systems being used in the A350, again, like the A330, were designed 15 years ago.

And because this is basically an A330 derivative, you're going to get the A330 passenger experience, based on a 1970s design cross section.

On the other hand, from your first moment on board the 787 you'll notice a difference - open space designed in a way you may never have seen before.

The mood lighting in the cabin also considered. It can change intensity and color with the time of day. Even the huge luggage bins are going to make your experience more comfortable. You'll never have to stress out about overhead space for your stuff.

That all adds up to getting where you're going feeling relaxed and refreshed.

And what's the comfort level on the A350/A330? Same old, same old.

Please keep out nationalistic feelings and judge the two by merit

[edit on 3-6-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

gudge the two by merit

- How can any non industry people judge these 2 planes?
They don't even exist in reality right now and are nowhere close to it.

All you are inviting people to do is read and repeat a sales brouchure here and argue the toss over the projected performance figures (such as are public at the moment).

Commentating over the correct or up to date information is one thing but making any kind of meaningful actual judgement between the two?

Come on, own up; this is just another call to a pi$$ing contest.

[edit on 3-6-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Also, it is unfortunately calling people to argue over out of date information as Airbus has realisied that the A350 being based on the A330 meant it would not be as competitive as they hoped and has decided to launch the A350 as a new design, this means a delay to the A350 programme but Airbus feels the move is necessary. Personally I think that as far as competing with the 787 goes Airbus may have missed the bus as Boeing has in the jumbo market.

The information also has a few errors, the glaring one I noticed was that the same engines that are fitted to the 787 will somehow be less efficient on the A350 because they aren't 'fully integrated'. Well I don't know how that works because podded airliner engines intended for pylon mounting are self contained units and their efficiency is not affected by what aircraft they are bolted onto. I suspect that infrmation came from Boeing

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I'd have to say that when choosing travel plans, one has very little choice over which plane an airline uses in that particular leg. Other than concord, i am not sure that there would actually be options as to which plane one would ride. I guess you could choose an airline based on which plane they have bought, but in reality the lowest cost is waht drives me not what there aircraft specs are. I am sure in the next ten years, I will fly on both, I will decide then.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
cool down spinkey...i'm not saying the A350 or the 787 were copied Nazi concepts

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
cool down spinkey...i'm not saying the A350 or the 787 were copied Nazi concepts

-

Now that made me laugh.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
787 is an all new aircraft, while the A350 is basically just an updated version of an existing aircraft.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You know what sounds cool about the 787, it's cabin will have 35% humidity while current aircraft cabins only have 5% humidity. Something about better building techniques.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sorry nwguy but your last two posts have mystified me. The first seems completely pointless while I don't understand why cabin humidity is 'really cool'. Maybe I need to look into it a bit more.

On a more positive note Airbus is set to unveil an order for 50 A350's from Emirates at the Paris Air Show later this month

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Per this:

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

Please could members refrain from starting threads that are based around:

what is your favourite aircraft

who would win if ??? and ??? were in a dogfight with each other

who has the best fighters........
etc etc ...

This forum is for information about Aircraft Projects.

Please could we get back to threads with genuine interest.

The above list is subject to change and additions and is not set in stone.

Amended: There will no longer be allowed:
* 'this "versus" 'this topic threads
* "pathetic" topic threads or topics with the mention of "pathetic"
* "copied" or "copies" or "copy" like type threads

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

As such, topic moved.

seekerof

join