It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Trust Hormone Unveiled - Stimulates Trust in Humans: Can Bottle, Spray It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Scientists have found a hormone secreted by the brain is linked to the ability to "trust". Increasing the hormone in a person stimulates trusting behavior.

www.suntimes.com
It sounds like the plot for another Batman sequel: The villain sprays Gotham City with a trust hormone and people rush to give him all their money. Banks, the stock market and even governments collapse.

Farfetched? Swiss and American scientists demonstrate in new experiments how a squirt of the hormone oxytocin stimulates trusting behavior in humans, and they acknowledge that the possibility of abuse can't be ignored.

''Of course, this finding could be misused,'' said Ernst Fehr of the University of Zurich, the senior researcher in the study, which appears in today's issue of the journal Nature.

Oxytocin is secreted in brain tissue and synthesized by the hypothalamus. This small but crucial area deep in the brain controls biological reactions such as hunger, thirst and body temperature, as well as visceral fight-or-flight reactions associated with emotions such as fear and anger.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow. The implications of this find are horrific. Business dealings, politics, relationships, entertainment, criminal activity, animal and zoology related issues, you name it, and this hormone has the ability to affect it.

This could lead to incredible new opportunities for intelligence gathering... Imagine, *squirt* "So, who do you work for and where are you guys keeping the C4? I won't tell anyone, you can trust me!"

This may be the best shortcut to mind control ever conceived. The trust hormone is associated with the hypothalamus, meaning that it is an extremely BASIC attribute - and BASIC attributes are most closely associated with survival. The ability to trust and distrust is a cornerstone of human discernment, directly related to survival.

Related News Links:
www.theglobeandmail.com
www.kansascity.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com
www.newsday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Trust...bottled?

[edit on 6/2/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Note: this is my submission. It is not a duplicate, I have merely changed the title several times due to only getting 17 views in an hour.
Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Belief. Acceptance. Love.

Trust. The new fragrance from Calvin Klein.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Oxytocin is the hormone that causes uterine contractions in humans and animals, it's used to induce / assist labor artificially. Anyone that farms or breeds animals would be familiar with it, I have a vial in my fridge and just gave it a sniff. Can't smell a thing and I don't feel any different...

did I tell you how much I trust you Zip?

[edit on 6/2/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

did I tell you how much I trust you Jake?

[edit on 6/2/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What's to say it hasn't been used already?

Ever wonder why some partisans are so insanely fanatical in their protection of the cult of personality? How they defend their 'phant and their mule with determination, almost like personal allegiance?

I thought for a long time that brainwashing was being used..I never even considered this possibility.

It's something that should be looked into, IMO.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
With utmost shame and embarassment, I must admit that I have discovered that my post is indeed a duplicate of www.abovetopsecret.com....

*seppuku*

Zip (aka ripoff artist)

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Them thar chemtrails mustin be full of it.

Or something.

But seriously, intersting implications. If I was a maniacle global dictator, i'd be putting stuff like that in the public water supply, and the private 'bottled water' supply too.

Hell, I'd try to figure out how to get containers to leach the stuff into whatever's in em, or have someone enginer stomach bacteria that squirt the stuff out and infect everyone with it.

Then agian, it might not be good for an 'evil dictator' to have a public that trusts anyone around them. Might make it easier for the competition too.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Don't they serve sandwiches and stuff at political party conventions?

I did some online research on Oxytocin and found several articles relating it with love / relationship endurance and whatnot, as far back as 1999. Can't get it without a prescription.

I guess the love / relationship stuff makes sense. When my ex stopped trusting me, that was pretty much the end of our relationship. I couldn't get her to produce enough oxytocin, I guess. Oh well, here's to new horizons! And oxytocin!

Zip

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think you're right Nygdan, it wouldn't do much good in the public water supply, or spread around a huge area..you don't want people trusting just anyone...

No, it would have to be targetted towards those who would give their full attention to the object of trust for some time, to be sure the 'emotion' and the perception cemented together.

Think about the political rallies, the speaking engagements, perhaps even corporate, pop star, television endorsements? Or..the next frontier...

www.temple.edu...

web.media.mit.edu...

Think about the possibilities...

Whacky conspiracy or what?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Sounds like just another description of sedatives.

When it comes to human behaviour and the multi generation learning of behaviour ,chemicals are not the long term solution.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I guess I am lacking in THIS hormone..........because I am not all that sure I trust this whole idea.....

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yes. How bizarre, the possibility that chemicals and electrical signals manipulate our very consciousness!

Gaw, who came up with that crackpot theory?

Zip

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I saw an interview with the lead senior researcher on Fox news. He said that a squirt of this stuff only lasts about 3 minutes and in order for it to be effective it needs to be squirted into the nose or injected into your veins.

The applications for this stuff is endless.

top topics

join