It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudis outrage over the proposal of women driving.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - He just wanted his colleagues in the government's legislative arm to discuss the possibility of conducting a study into the feasibility of reversing the ban on women drivers — the only prohibition of its kind in the world.

But Consultative Council member Mohammad al-Zulfa's proposal has unleashed a storm in this conservative country where the subject of women drivers remains taboo.

Al-Zulfa's cell phone now constantly rings with furious Saudis accusing him of encouraging women to commit the double sins of discarding their veils and mixing with men. He gets phone text messages calling on Allah to freeze his blood. Chat rooms bristle with insulting accusations that al-Zulfa is "driven by carnal instincts with 454 horsepower."

There even have been calls to kick al-Zulfa from the council and strip him of his Saudi nationality.

The uproar may be astounding to outsiders. But in Saudi Arabia, where the religious establishment has the upper hand in defining women's freedoms, the issue touches on the kingdom's strict Islamic lifestyle.

Conservatives, who believe women should be shielded from strange men, say driving will allow a woman to leave home whenever she pleases and go wherever she wishes. Some say it will present her with opportunities to violate Islamic law, such as exposing her eyes while driving or interacting with strange men, like police officers or mechanics.

"Driving by women leads to evil," Munir al-Shahrani wrote in a letter to the editor of the Al-Watan daily. "Can you imagine what it will be like if her car broke down? She would have to seek help from men."

pretty unbelievable. i dont believe that the Koran ever said anithin about banning women from driving. this is another type of law design by the clerics for their own views. i mean wat happens if she is a widow and have no other relatives that is male, how she expect to get from point A to point B?

[edit on 2-6-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Step One:
Lift Burkha to enter Driver Training Vehicle.
Step Two:
Check rearview mirror through veil.
Step Three:
Fasten infidel seatbelt
Step Four:
Behead Instructor.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
And people wonder why I hate that friggin country and their lovely society.

Just so you know, folks, In saudi Arabia, it is not called a Burqua, it is called Abbayah. We simply called it Ninja Women Suits.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Its mostly from the culture nothing to do with islam

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas
Its mostly from the culture nothing to do with islam

You are 100% correct on that one. This mentality is almost exclusive to Saudi Society. Even the Kuwaitis, their neighbors, are hospitable, pleasant, and much more relaxed in attitude. Most Arabs from other countries are also really nice folks who are generous, friendly, and likeable.

The Saudis are like the punks of the middle east.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I recall, in a documentary, that there was a 'protest' not so long ago in SA that had women have their drivers take them to a parking lot, and then they started driving in the large lot themselves. Eventually the police came and stopped it.

Not so insane. In the US, they want to change the fundamental law of the land to forbid gays from getting married in their own churches. Or they refuse to use stem cells if they come from fetuses that are going to the incinerator.

If a boob is flashed on tv, even tho it has a pasty over the nipple, it can result in thousands of dollars in fines and the alteration of entire series of programming.

Over there, they don't want their women driving cars. like the man says, what if it breaks down? She's got to ask a guy to help? Its improper, it will lead to abuse of women, it will lead to fornication.

"You can't have condom ads on tv, it will encourage young people to have sex"
Same reactionary traditionalist urge. Only for a far more traditional society than ours.

Hell, from what I understand, there was serious discussion as to whether TV was allowed in SA, because you're not supposed to make images of living things, and thats what TV is.

In SA, apparently they even have paramilitary 'ettiquette' police, who go around malls to break up groups of young men and women who are scandalously mixing (re:talking to each other), or to whack perverts who look at women for too long.

Is it really so strange? I think its folly, but is it really so different??? How many people think that a women 'deserves' to be date-raped (or is 'more guilty') if she goes into a bar with mostly men and has her TnA hanging out all over the place? The saudis are expressing somethign everyone expresses. Hell, a lot of people in the US think that everything went 'down hill' when women got the vote, got out of the house and started worked, dressed 'loosely' and mixed with men (like in the 60s). Lots of politicians have made their careers out of railing against anything that isn't traditional. The Saudis aren't really even thinking in an extreme term in that sense. They see it all as a Slippery SLope torwards inevtiable moral decline, I am sure.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Having lived in Saudi for a few years....they certainly couldn't be any worse than the average male Saudi driver!!!

I lived in Saudi for a little over 2 years, and in that time I saw a traffic accident at least once a day, and often more than one in any given day... I've seen strange ones too, from a Pepsi truck driver oggling the girls on my bus slamming into a wall and exploding, to a woman taking a "Saudi squat" in the middle of the road, and then getting mowed down by a truck...

Trust me, they couldn't be any worse,

Actually, ANYTHING leading to LESS Saudis on the roads is probably a GOOD thing, no matter how ass backwards it is!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It is nothing to do with the text associated with islam, text can be percieved in many different ways, as said earlier its to do with culture. many relgions/cultures do it , ive never read in the bible that codom,s should be banned but if its in there someone please tell me. I would like to see this reversed where women were in absolute power and men dident have the rights, since its just about interaction that can lead to evil it shouldent make a differernce.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Dont get me wrong I`m all for civil rights and equal rights as well but there is one exception to the rule. Ban women drivers worldwide, I`m sorry but for the most part they are not very good drivers. Of course we would have to offer something to make up for taking away this privelage and I think I know one thing that would work. Offer them 24hr foot massage parlors on every corner paid for by male tax payers. Just a thought. What do you think, especially any female responses on the subject.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Again I suggest the free world stay away from commenting on other cultures, unless needless cruelty or death is involved for seemingly minor infractions of their laws.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Again I suggest the free world stay away from commenting on other cultures, unless needless cruelty or death is involved for seemingly minor infractions of their laws.

Dallas

dont worry Dallas u dont have to be scared as long as u are on the other side of the world, the fanatics cant hurt u, can they?.........................

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
Ban women drivers worldwide, I`m sorry but for the most part they are not very good drivers.

Guess you missed the Indianapolis 500, seems like one of the "not very good drivers" had the nerve to come in fourth place.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

I'm sure she'd be all over that foot massage offer as well.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Should have gotten second, but 4th isn't to bad.

Also, and how is this different from the republicans? I mean, the men Bush has made judges are known for their books about how women are to be slaves to men, and that they are good for nothing more then baby factories. Gee, wonder why the dems try to block them.....

Also, a famous one, his wife AGREES! sShe is a slave in her own home, no shopping, no driving, no job, no socializing outside of political functions, nothing but a baby machine and sex slave that cleans the house. Hey wait, why am I complaining? That sounds pretty good, except I am a democrat, so everyone is equal, and the only sex slave should be a willing one with a safety word. How we chose Jew Bag IDK, but never had to use it, yet.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If western society had to hate someone the Saudis would be up there at number one.The men treat the women like slaves and preach about Islam but are often seen drinking and hiring prostitutes in London, thats Islam in a few words.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Just what I'm thinking re respect for other cultures and their laws to certain degrees. Honestly though, do you think you could stay with the subject matter and not to comments about ATS members there deltaboy?

How do you feel about other Countries and their Laws and Cultures which are more intense than yours?
Oh, I'm closer than you may think.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Talking about driving in that particular region, my friend was telling me that if a taxi driver is in an accident while driving you somewhere that you are blamed for it (this is in Abu Dhabi). The logic is that if you hadn't wanted to go somewhere he would never have been there to have the accident. Pretty strange... Also pretty irrelevant...sorry

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
If western society had to hate someone the Saudis would be up there at number one.The men treat the women like slaves and preach about Islam but are often seen drinking and hiring prostitutes in London, thats Islam in a few words.

Dont judge Islam by those people because even if you see other muslim like Yousef (cat Stevens) and some other muslims you could tell a lot

Second thing i agree that women to have licence in Saudi Arab is very hard espcially the way there man driving
I seen i video of a drivers degrading the police that is the most powerful of thing in a country what about if its a women . They will be Harrased so its better keep that way because of the mentiallity of the people there.

I live in the UAE where it is better

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Dont get me wrong I`m all for civil rights and equal rights as well but there is one exception to the rule. Ban women drivers worldwide, I`m sorry but for the most part they are not very good drivers. Of course we would have to offer something to make up for taking away this privelage and I think I know one thing that would work. Offer them 24hr foot massage parlors on every corner paid for by male tax payers. Just a thought. What do you think, especially any female responses on the subject.

Come on now - get real. Just as well you live on the other side of the world or you would be in deep doo doo to say the least. It is a proven fact that per capita men have more accidents than women.

: Originally posted by Bulldog 52

No, it is MEN not Islam. It is about weak men hiding behind and devaluing their religion because they do not have the courage of honesty.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake

Come on now - get real. Just as well you live on the other side of the world or you would be in deep doo doo to say the least. It is a proven fact that per capita men have more accidents than women.

: Originally posted by Bulldog 52

No, it is MEN not Islam. It is about weak men hiding behind and devaluing their religion because they do not have the courage of honesty.

YOU right

I totally agree with you

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   

As a woman driver, I have not a ticket, accident, or infraction on my record. And the little bastards rapidly changing lanes, cutting people off, and swerving through traffic, last time I looked, were little punk males ages 18-30. Youre probably one of them.

Next time, remember how bad a driver I am when Ive run you off the road

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join