It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

57-year-old grandmother/principle, now a suspected terrorist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Here's a small glimpse into how quickly one can be declared a terrorist, having all your constitutional rights taken away in a split second.

"I'm a 57-year-old woman who is taking care of 37 kids," she told them. "I'm not gonna commit a terrorist act."

"They said 'no' and they said it's a national security issue. And I said what about my constitutional rights? And they said 'not at this point ... you don't have any'."

www.komotv.com...

America's newest terrorist suspect

A few amendments later to our constitution, and I can't help but wonder if Cecilia Beaman would have been sent to Guantanamo Bay!
Was the procedure carried out justified and acceptable concerning national security?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Dear Lord,

Well, just look at that face! Its got terrorist written all over it, for the love of Pete!

Everyday is more shocking than the previous one

What next?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
im glad they find the knives and possibly consider her a terrorist since it shows that even a white person could be a terrorist so that means they aint doing color difference. they compare all.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
im glad they find the knives and possibly consider her a terrorist since it shows that even a white person could be a terrorist so that means they aint doing color difference. they compare all.

Although you make a good point, I think its being taken to absurd lengths.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by colin_hal]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
it does seem a little over the top to put her on a terrorist watch list for her mistake but it is her responsibility to ensure that there are no prohibited items in her baggage so I would support the fine but not making her a terror suspect.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is just pathetic, A little old white lady a "Terrorist" if only our government would stop wasting time with this bs, and go after the real enemy, Islamic extremists, but the left would scream "omg thats profiling" well guess what it is isnt, but we are at war, get over it.

It could be worse we could go jap on em and throw all american arabs in camps till the wars over.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by C0le]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
This is just pathetic, A little old white lady a "Terrorist" if only our government would stop wasting time with this bs, and go after the real enemy, Islamic extremists, but the left would scream "omg thats profiling" well guess what it is isnt, but we are at war, get over it.

It could be worse we could go jap on em and throw all american arabs in camps till the wars over.

Arnold I think your suggestion is the best.
C0le do you love war?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo
it does seem a little over the top to put her on a terrorist watch list for her mistake but it is her responsibility to ensure that there are no prohibited items in her baggage so I would support the fine but not making her a terror suspect.

Well said. A mistake is a mistake and a violation regardless should be fined. But putting her on a terror list? Bonkers! No wonder we're not really making progress!

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
A blunt-edged butter knife? For this the School Principal is declared a Suspected Terrorist? WOW!

And I said what about my constitutional rights? And they said 'not at this point ... you don't have any'."

She should have had the kids lick her toes like the teacher in Georgia, USA. She is not facing any charges.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-6-2005 by rawiea]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by colin_hal

C0le do you love war?

I dont think anyone LOVES war but it does employ hundreds of thousands of people. I know I am definately going to sign up when I leave school and get through college. British Army/RAF................here I come!!

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le

[edit on 2-6-2005 by C0le]
I cant beleive you actually turn this around and blame the "liberals"...Oh wait..yes i can..Hannity and Limbaugh do it all the time...

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If you will take the time to read the article, the people who this lady is asserting made those statements were apparently the screeners themselves at the airport.

Have any of you travelled recently, and have you seen these screeners? They are not, exactly, the cream of our nations security forces.

I would not take anything these people say too seriously.

However, if you purposely pack a knife in your luggage on any domestic flight within the US, you have to be a complete friggin' moron, after all that has been said and done within the last 4 years.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
If you will take the time to read the article, the people who this lady is asserting made those statements were apparently the screeners themselves at the airport.

Have any of you travelled recently, and have you seen these screeners? They are not, exactly, the cream of our nations security forces.

I think you have to take their words VERY seriously. They are the people in authority and what they say, goes----UNTIL a court reverses them. They have a bit of training. She, as a traveler, is at their mercy. Yes, things can be straightened up in court later, but at the moment she only wants on her flight.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rawiea

Originally posted by Pyros

I think you have to take their words VERY seriously. They are the people in authority and what they say, goes----UNTIL a court reverses them. They have a bit of training. She, as a traveler, is at their mercy. Yes, things can be straightened up in court later, but at the moment she only wants on her flight.

In a nut shell, you're basically allowing the submission of your fundamental constitutional rights since the "authorities" of an airport say what goes until the judicial courts decide otherwise? Have you recently seen how much they make?

You should pay attention to how long suspected terrorists are being held without trial, believe me, that alone is a long enough sentence for supposed promoters of freedom to question. I fear we're two or three amendments away from seeing 57-yr-old grandmothers sent to Guantanamo Bay without trial..

We know butter knives will result in adding your name to suspected terrorist watch list. I wonder what are the repercussions in carrying matchbooks and lighters?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The problem with this issue, and law enforcement in general, is that nobody uses, or is capable of using, common sense and discretion any more.

Not so very long ago, such an incident would have been treated as a simple mistake. Of course, the more people fined/prosecuted by these agencies gives the impression they are effective and worthy of bigger budgets and management bonuses

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer

In a nut shell, you're basically allowing the submission of your fundamental constitutional rights since the "authorities" of an airport say what goes until the judicial courts decide otherwise?

No I am not "allowing" that. Once you are singled out, you are presumed guilty. Prove your innocence. Our civil rights went down the toilet with that Patriot Act.
Some people are so willing to give up their rights for "security", that the rest of us don't even realize just how much we have lost until something like this happens.
I wonder if the Terrorists had any idea how much effect their 9-11 attack would have? We used to be "presumed innocent until proven guilty". That used to be the legal standard.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I work for TSA and I've never heard of such a system. The screener was probably grossly overstating his authority in this issue. However knowing how this organization is run and I've been working for them since the begining, I wouldnt be surprised in the least if actual actions are being taken against the lady. Nobody knows the rules. Two weeks ago my supervisors recieved a memo on new procedures shortly after putting the procedures in place we found out that the procedures had been taken out practice before we even had gotten the memo. Suffice to say I hope to be finding other means of employment.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar

Originally posted by colin_hal

C0le do you love war?

I dont think anyone LOVES war but it does employ hundreds of thousands of people. I know I am definately going to sign up when I leave school and get through college. British Army/RAF................here I come!!

I was actually waiting for C0le to answer.
But since you did, I want to tell you that I also live in the UK.
The people who instigate wars, and profit of wars, and wish to prolong wars for their own benefit, are transgressing.
Although I am completely against war, I am not against you joining the army. Since one feels the need to protect his country.

Nor am I against you fighting a war, if you have good intentions and believe war is necessary. However if its due to hatred, or to create mischief in the land then I am against it.
I can't search your heart, so I will assume that you have good intentions.
Have a nice day Zanzibar, you were right, nobody loves war.

new topics

top topics

join