It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Forces Issue Hi-Tech ID Tags for Insurgent Suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Suspected insurgents in Iraq are now being issued Hi-Tech Identification Tags by the U.S. Military. These tags will be linked to a US intelligence database which will store information such as three-dimensional cranial mappings, retina scans along with past medical history. Each card will have a a unique barcode enabling the U.S. military to instantly patch into a person's records.

www.gulf-news.com
The cards allow American intelligence services to keep track of people taken into custody even if they are released because they are found to have done nothing wrong.

Most militant suspects in north central Iraq are taken by US military intelligence to a prison in Tikrit, part of Saddam Hussain's personal palace complex and now a major military base

Cutting-edge computer technology allows a three dimensional map of the suspect's head to be drawn up from this information. That way, even if external changes are made to a face, such as a beard, the computer will be able to recognise the person from unchanging facial dimensions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Actually hundreds of Iraqis have already been tagged in this manner. If this technology prevails in the War on Terrorism, then it would only be logical for these Hi-Tech ID tags to be used on other countries. However I'm very unconvinced as to why America is so interested in keeping tabs on the 'suspected' terrorist while the 'real' terrorist are still at large.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
They're guinea pigs for what our governments have planned for us.

The minute I get issued with one of these I.D tags im going to cut it in half and wear it around my neck
Im willing to go to jail over these I.D cards.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Doesnt this strike a strong comparision to the prisoners tagged and barcoded in Nazi concentration camps? Or is it just me

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
no, it's not just you and this is starting to piss me off, pardon the language.
our government is now roundly violating the human rights of these people.:shk: maybe the ant-war lobby is right and we have no business in iraq.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
No, no..you haven't heard the best part yet...

The IDs will be encased in a durable, attractive plastic shell, in the shape of a crescent and star.

How far we've come from tattered yellow felt and shoddy tattoos...

I tell ya, this kind of thing really gives me hope for the future..I mean sure, we're still seperating and exterminating those different than us..but hey, at least we're keeping up with all the new technology!

(that was a joke)

Look, I'm sure this is practical, and sensible, and perfectly reasonable in the minds of many here and abroad..but this is very disturbing to some others...

My people were practically wiped out in the death camps..and it all started in exactly the same way...

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The mark of the beast. a crecent and a star? this is going way to far.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
xphiles
I was joking, but I liked your rhyme...

Yaknow..the star of david is the symbol of the jews, who were forced to wear it to identify themselves, and now the muslims tagged and barcoded..similarities..humorous..

Nevermind...

Another lead balloon joke launch from Wyrde's airspace..disregard.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Doesnt this strike a strong comparision to the prisoners tagged and barcoded in Nazi concentration camps?

What?

These guys are suspected terrorists in a country that has a large insurgency that is violently killing its own civilians. The use is giving them tags to keep track of them, not shuttling them to death camps and stamping them with numbers to help administrate the death camps.

Yes, its pretty different.

xphilesphan
our government is now roundly violating the human rights of these people

How? By having them wear these tags? Thats not a violation of their human rights.

wyrdeone
My people were practically wiped out in the death camps..and it all started in exactly the same way[/quiote]
No, it didn't. The jews and gypsies were made into second class citizens within their own countries and actual laws were passed by the government to do that. Then they were rounded up and put into ghettos and their movement within and in and out of those ghettos was regulared by the paramilitary SS. Then they were made, literally, into slaves and forced into labour camps and then exterminiated. This is entirely different.

This is taking peopel that have been arrested and keeping a record of them and giving them identification cards after they are released. They are fingerprinted and 'hi tech' photos are taken of them.

This is what is done with criminals. This is not 'nazi like'. They are not being put into ghettos. They are not being 'tagged' like with animals getting radio tags clamped onto them. They are being fingerprinted, scanned, and photographed.

Why shouldn't the military be doing that? Thats the big difference. There was no reason to do what the nazis did, it was insane. This taking fingerprints and photographs. Its reasonable and sensible.

subs
The minute I get issued with one of these I.D tags im going to cut it in half and wear it around my neck

Do you have a passport or drivers license?? Because then you have a card that identifies you, which is what these things are.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
And what exactly is keeping them from tossing the cards?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

EXACTLY! This is a friggin' joke if you ask me. What? If they don't have an ID card....then they are a terrorist!!! OMG!!! Right. I think the "test dummy" theory is probably correct here.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Do you have a passport or drivers license?? Because then you have a card that identifies you, which is what these things are.

No they are not. The cards are to include RFID technology which can be read remotely and without your knowledge.

I am free to walk around my country without needing to produce a passport or a drivers license. With these cards the government can legislate that you show your identification when asked or they can simply read them from a gantry or readers in doorways etc.

These are invasions of privacy and I wont tolerate it. We the people own this government, we the people are this governments boss. Not the other way around. If they want this information on me then they can apply for a warrant and do it the old fashioned way. I will not willingly sign my freedom of movement and privacy away simply because the government demands it.

These are not the same as passports or drivers license. I willingly get into a car knowing I could possibly be asked to produce my drivers licence. When I willingly travel overseas I know I will have to produce my passport. I would have no choice as to whether or not I want to produce these ID cards as I could be asked for them at home or walking down the street in my own country.

Completely different and I wont tolerate it.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
subz thats not true, did you even read the link? its like any other id card..

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
subz thats not true, did you even read the link? its like any other id card..

Sorry namehere I wasnt clear enough in what I was ranting about

Originally posted by subz
They're guinea pigs for what our governments have planned for us.

Im British and the compulsory ID cards our government is trying to get passed into law will have RFIDs in them.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Are they being tagged and released because they truly "haven't done anything wrong"? Or is it that the catching them with a weapon in a Taliban holdout isn't enough to keep lawyers from getting them free? Or are they being "let go" so they can be followed like roaches to their nest?

If the first, this is seriously wrong. If the second, the lawyers should be tagged. If the third, well, then it works.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Couldn't help but wonder the same thing....sounds like a waste of money and effort to me...

new topics

top topics

join