It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mixed Results in privatization of schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Michael F.X. Gillin, chairman of the state-appointed board that brought Edison in, said the tempest has left him dispirited. Next year, he said, the district will reopen without private companies.

"At this point, that is probably the best thing that could happen," Gillin said, adding: "There are a lot of social problems down there. You can't just blame the administration or Edison for the kids' low test scores."

Edison stayed only a short time in places like Dallas and Minneapolis, where officials concluded it hadn't improved things enough to justify its fees. In other districts, like Baltimore and Philadelphia, Edison has taken over hard-luck schools, produced improvements in student performance and won acceptance.
Edison also found itself in a perpetual three-way power struggle with the board and the central administration. The contract did not allow Edison to hire or fire teachers. The company also did not control the district's finances and had limited ability to shift resources to places that needed them. It was not involved in generating the faulty information that hid the system's budget deficit.
CNN

This proved to be quite interesting I for one would support the privatization of schools. What can be read into the results ? Well you have to put social issues aside because only people not free enterpise can tackle social issues.

Did private enterpise run the schools better then the government?
I dont think free enterpise was given a fair go in this case how can you run a school if you cant hire and fire teachers?
I think the local government wanted privatization to fail.
Why else would have free enterpise been handcuffed in the running of local schools?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If you privatized all the schools, what would happen to those children whose parents couldn't afford to pay their tuition?

If I had kids and the ability, I would homeschool them until they were in many jr. high then I would let them choose where they wanted to go.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
If you privatized all the schools, what would happen to those children whose parents couldn't afford to pay their tuition?

Well in theroy you would pay less taxs so people would be able to afford the fees of course governments never come to the party with the tax breaks.

If I had kids and the ability, I would homeschool them until they were in many jr. high then I would let them choose where they wanted to go.

Dont see the point of homeschool but thats another topic.....

[edit on 11-6-2005 by xpert11]

[edit on 11-6-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Actually home school children do extremely well perhaps better than children in public school.

Taking in consideration that most of our property taxes goes on to support our public schools I would be one to be more than happy to stop paying taxes to schools when my children are not longer in school.

I think is unfair to pay for a service I don't use.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't have any children of my own, so it burns me up that I have to pay taxes for other people's kids to go to school. Especially considering I don't feel the public school system is up to snuff.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
And it really kills me, ECK, to pay for kids to go to school when I pay money extra money to send my kids to Catholic school!! Go vouchers! Also considering the $20 million dollar deficit my cities public school system discovered and now my mortgage payment is up like $100 a month because we support the kids and all so we voted to give them more money. So be it, it's only money.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I don't really understand and never cared to look up why we have to pay property taxes to support schools. We're never gonna lost that burden

Back in the time, the citizens paid the teacher, supplied the builiding, etc. etc. But it seems the education system has turned into this vast money drain. And, in many disctricts, the results are appalling.
Not only do I have no kids, but I must pay for my school district AND the community colleges. That's just nuts.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
And, DontTreadOnMe, my state for example declared paying for schools via property taxes unconsitutional. (now, I could be a little wrong here, I'll admit)

top topics

join