It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Abbas undergoes angioplasty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian leader has undergone a cardiac procedure in a hospital in Jordan. The procedure called angioplasty, is used to open up blocked arteries. Abbas was taken to the hospital Wednesday complaining of fatigue. Officials report that the procedure was successful, and Abbas is expected back in the West Bank today.

www.msnbc.msn.com
JERUSALEM - Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas underwent a heart procedure to open clogged arteries Wednesday at a hospital in Jordan, a senior Palestinian official said.

Abbas was taken to a hospital in Amman, Jordan Wednesday complaining of fatigue, where he underwent angioplasty, said Tayeb Abdel Rahim, a top Abbas aide.

He said the procedure was successful and the 69-year-old leader was expected back in the West Bank on Thursday as planned.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Abbas has had several health issues in the past including hypertension and even cancer. However, the procedure he had while routine bears some watching. If he is perceived as weak or in a weakened condition, a internal power grab could occur and wreck any progress that the Palestinians and Israel have made to this point.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The last thing the Palestinians need now is another change or shake-up in leadership. Let's hope he recovers quickly.

Interesting that you chose the "War on Terror" classification for this story FredT...

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Interesting that you chose the "War on Terror" classification for this story FredT...

Could not decide exactly where it fits. Poltics was another considered as well. We need a ME catagory that does not tie in with terrorism.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Yes, a "Middle-East" category would make sense. I've done the same thing as you when submitting stories on Iran - torn between Politics and War on Terrorism. I guess, to a small extent, it shows our subconcious prejudices.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Crap. Finally things start to get better with Arafat gone, and now this
Probably a lot of wannabe power players in the sidelines, hoping for (or actively working towards, Abbas' early demise.

I hope they screened the doctors very well and all the aids who'll be near him.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Inflate the balloon with too much psi and watch Abbas fly around the Gaza Strip.

new topics

join