It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Despise Old People !!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The metemucil thing has never happened to me. When it does though there may be a violent conflict.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i love old people most of them are cool and can tell u a lot of interesting things if u listen.
with regards to the elderly driving - what can they do? they need or want to go somewhere and god knows the bus systems are crappy overcrowded and depending where they live could even be dangerous for them.
and regarding the snail carts in the supermarkets who cares!! have some patience, that being u are young and hopefully have your whole life ahead of you, they dont their days are coming to and end. let them take time picking out there items.

and as far as the elderly that are rude or never smile, for the most part people dont change they were probably rude and never smiled when they were young.

thats my 1 cent

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here's another reason to hate old people.

States Bar Teen Drivers Using Cell Phones

[...]

A growing number of states are creating legal barriers to keep young drivers from using cell phones, even as few ban adults from talking — at least handsfree — while driving.

[...]

Now, laws in Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland and Tennessee say young drivers must keep the phone off. Illinois's measure is waiting for Gov. Rod Blagojevich to sign it into law, but his staff says he intends to. Maine already bars cell phones for drivers with provisional licenses up to age 21, and New Jersey bans them for those drivers at any age.

[...]

Whether or not they're using cell phones, teenagers are much more likely than older drivers to get into accidents. At age 16, boys get into 27 crashes per million miles driven and girls 28 crashes. Those numbers drop quickly as drivers age. By the time drivers reach the 20-to-24-year-old group, there are eight crashes per million miles for men, and nine crashes for women, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, based on 2001 data.

Those crashes take a deadly toll. The insurance institute says that 32 16-year-olds died per 100,000 drivers in 2003, four times the fatality rate of the 30-to-59 age group.

[...]

In Maryland, advocates had pushed for years to get tougher restrictions on teenagers that included many of the elements of graduated drivers licenses. They had always failed — until this year, when a series of fatal crashes sharpened public attention to the problem.

"There were 18 teens killed in about three months," said Bronrott, a longtime advocate of safe driving rules. "It was a huge wakeup call."

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050625/ap_on_re_us/cell_phones_young_drivers

I always use my headset when using my phone while driving and I really get annoyed when I see people holding a cell phone to their ears while driving, regardless of their ages.

[edit on 2005/6/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I dont hate old people. I believe their wisdom can be important. What I dont like though, is when you do a good deed for them like oh, say, wait that extra 20 seconds to hold open a door at a resturaunt for them and they walk right by you and take no notice. Its almost like they expect the kind stranger to be there, like they take me for granted.

IT PISSES ME OFF.

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't hate any particular group of people, but I gotta admit some elders are rude and just asking to be hated.

I guess everyone had seen some just trying to get ahead of them in waiting line... I hate that..Like if they do it without looking at you, you'll just stop existing? WTF is up with this?!?! So rude.

Their was also this one time, got out of a coffee shop and slightly bumped a old person, with the laptop bag throwed on my shoulder. I got out and went to the left, and the person was going to the right. So I actually turned and said "Hey sorry for that, mister." Then the old jerk turns and tell me "Sorry not gonna fix anything , just pay attention !" so I say "Hey, it was an accident and I said sorry" then he started walkign and cursing.

I swear, I so much wanted to throw my boiling hot coffee at his face and start to beat the crap out of the old jerk, right their on the side-walk, with all the coffee shop customer staring at me... But then, I would have been the "bad guy"... Unfair world it is...

[edit on 13-7-2005 by m0rbid]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catfish
What I dont like though, is when you do a good deed for them like oh, say, wait that extra 20 seconds to hold open a door at a resturaunt for them and they walk right by you and take no notice. Its almost like they expect the kind stranger to be there, like they take me for granted.

To be fair....I think they're perfectly in the right to expect basic politeness and courtesy from a fellow human.

In their generation, it was taken for granted that you would open doors, respect your elders, without the need for thanks; it was absolutely expected. Why expect special thanks or attention for doing something that you were meant to be doing anyway?

Imho, yeah, I'm with that. Basic courtesy shouldn't be so unusual that we deserve more attention when it happens, you know?

But that's just me

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
basic courtesy or not, I think people should be thanked for their actions. I didnt have to wait for them, I could have continued on with my day and not even take note of their existence.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I've never had seniors be as rude, and I mean -aggressively rude- to me as younger people have. I used to get aggravated when I'd be stuck behind an oldie in the store or something. Maybe they were moving too slow or in the way. But then I began thinking about the lives some of them have lived. Some had to fight to be able to vote. Some had to fight to be able to ride the same bus or eat in the same place as white people. Some spent time imprisoned far away during times of war. Lived through the depression when $5.15 per hour would have been monumental. Some have seen children, grandchildren and spouses die before them. They've experienced more prejudice and heartache than many of us will over our own lifetimes simply due to circumstance. Now they turn on the tv and see things that would have been scandalous "back in their day". The group of young people hanging out in the parking lot are perhaps more menacing looking than they used to be, even the wannabes from the suburbs who try to look "hard". They hurt and maybe that's as fast as they can make it through the store. Maybe that's as fast as they can get out of everyone's way. Maybe they have to try and get $900 worth of meds per month on social security and medicare. Maybe they have to choose between their pain medication and food because they're broke, so they don't have the luxury of grabbing just any old thing off the shelf because that .19 can make a difference and add up. Maybe they are lonely and just doing their best to get by in this fast-paced, markedly more vulgar world. Maybe they are tired of being met with the same expression of inconvenience on the young faces around them. They hate having to ask some young cashier who talks like an auctioneer to repeat herself because they didn't catch everything being said because they're going to get That Look. How awful to live so long only to be seen as an annoyance. To commit the sin of developing alzheimer's, thus making the lives of healthy people less enjoyable. To have the nerve to give in to physical limitations instead of sprinting and jumping through the hoops that a younger society sets up for them.

I'm no saint, but I found that working to develop more tolerance toward those who annoy me has helped me become a person I like more. It doesn't kill me to help an old woman carry her bags to the car. Doesn't even hurt to make the offer. I don't burst into flame if someone, anyone, doesn't thank me for something or credit me for good behavior. I've been involved with several seniors that I did housecleaning for and the running theme I found was a reluctance to ask for help. They don't want to be a burden. They don't want to be seen as helpless. They don't want to have things done for them. They don't want to be hated or to inconvenience anyone. They're alone and in this society it can be costly to need help. I think it's a shame that more able-bodied people don't make the offer. I'm not talking about organized volunteer groups. I'm talking about just helping fellow humans out. Especially when those fellow humans have been through a million more miles of road than I have. This doesn't only apply to the elderly. I mention them only because that is what this rant is about. I'd offer a hand to a young person in need as well. No easier going through the grocery store at 72 with a hip replacement than it is with 4 young kids from diapers to toddlers. I lose nothing by offering to help.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
Yup old people still make me mad. My grandfather just called me. (he has alzeimers) he asked me who i was 7 times.....sigh

My grandfather also has alzeimers...

Heres become really insulting in his old age..

Thing I hate most about old people is the ones who drive 10mph...
I was out the other day and some old person was driving 10mph maybe even slower... the old girl was holding up at least 3 cars...I ended up hitting the horn a few times. After that she stops.. and sits there for about 10 seconds, then continues at 10mph untill finally after half a mile she finds a turn. Thank God

Vorta

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hey - you young buggers! Chill out!

I suppose by your standards, I'm 'old' at 53 or am I nearly senile?

We have much to teach you, as we [at my age] are still being taught by the 'real' oldies.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Originator of thread is now over TWO MONTHS older now.
It's happening..you are getting older...

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Yes i can feel my bones aching and im forgetting that i have to be courteous to people.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well, my fiance had to work and I had togo visit her relatives and setup a computer for them.. I went with her mom and dad who are a mier 47 and 48, and very nice people.

We get there and the 6hours we were there these were the following topics of conversation which i remember just for the benefit of this thread:

dead friends
dead relatives
dead people
Iraq and all the dead
Hurrican Katrina and the dead people that might arise
Ebay?? strange
Medication
Stays in hospital
The kids when they were young (now 40+ year olds)

Then the phone rings:
A:"sue the baby sitter died"

Anyone else notice how old people talk constantly about death? If i were that old i'd try not to think about it but maybe I dont understand being a youngon..

Vorta

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Damn old people at ABC Warehouse(where I work, sometimes, we pretty slow most of the time so watch tv/play on the computers) I know computers can be tricky, they have numbers, some even have letters!(AMD) But if your kid/grandkid wants a computer and you don't know how to turn one on don't come here, one day I will snap and beat you over the head with a keyboard, maybe use the mouse to choke you.

Or worse yet driving to work, shortest distance, takes longer then longest distance, for I have to pass a old folks home, they are a nice couple I guess, but damn it you can't go 30 in a 45! That's dangerous dammit. When I get the money for a new car, or one that doesn't have more rust then metal, just go the speed limit right into the back of their hugantest(new word) SUV they can't see over the steering wheel without sitting on phone books and make finally get my revenge! I got chocolate bubblegum!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't hate old people but I wish they'd realize how annoying they can get.

My father-in-law is pushing 70 and he's had some mini-strokes and can't remember what pill to take half the time. And he wants to drive. I told my mother-in-law to hide his car keys--which I think she did.

And it seems every other week I'm hearing about some old person slamming into a wall because they thought the accelerator was the brake. I'm like--hey, if you can't tell, you have no business behind the wheel!

I realize people need their independence, but they need to realize that it's not worth endangering their lives and the lives of everyone else just because they think they can drive.

Old people think it's agism or something. Fact is, the older you get the more your reflexes slow down and/or the worse your sight gets...so most old people go slow or drive like they're clueless. And it's pretty irresponsible to go around driving when you're impaired like that!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Your an ageist then.. HAHAHA.. One day your going to be old!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm already old--I'm 32.

Our landlady turned 100 a few months ago and she still has all her marbles. She tells us she's a health nut, which I think would help.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
You know what I really hate about old people?

(1) Most of them haven't done a lick of work in their lives, having lived like leeches off of other old people (their parents, usually), yet they babble on about wasting the earth's resources and inflation and all -- as if they have a clue.

(2) They have the lowest rate of voting, civic involvement, and community interaction of any age group, yet they make the most noise howling about how bad this or that political figure is.

(3) They completely ignore anyone else, yet they seem to think that their petty concerns are actually worth having other people stop what they're doing and listen to them.

(4) The really believe that their ideas and concepts are unique and should be accepted as gospel, yet they're the same ideas that just about every other person had and dropped like a hot potato after they realized just how silly they were.

Now that's what annoys me about old people!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
oops, sorry!

What I should have said is that's what annoys me about young punks.

Now go clean up your room.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
hey our ideas are taken as gospel. when you are here complaining about that, just think that you were the same way when you were a young punk

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join