It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the BRAIN...love vs. sex

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This morming on the abc show Good Morning America, they had a segment that AMAZED me....

They had X rays of the workings of the human brain. It was showing bright orange colors when synapses were fireing. They can SEE the area of the brain that is sparking WHEN a person is feeling LOVE.....as well as the synapses sparking when a person is feeling the desire for sex. They showed these X rays, wich were more like little movies of the workings of the brain, than just pictures. A persons ability to LOVE can actually be charted in this manner!

This is showing, that the humans desire for acceptance and LOVE is much greater than just feeling a 'sexual' desire.

Both of these operations within the brain can be SEEN and measured!
This is an amazing thing! They say the male brain registers a GREATER need for love, than does the female brain. In both men and woman however, the need for LOVE is vastly bigger than the desire for sex.

Wow...I wonder if people will start getting this brain scan to test each others actual LOVE quotiant prior to getting married??? Seeing this Xray, and the associated charts makes that seem possible, if not plausible.

There is a vid clip on the abcnews.go.com... and it is working for today....but I bet it changes tomarow

I have been unable to capture JUST the vid clip for this topic.......sorry.

[edit on 1-6-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I have always thought that what made love was an equal portion, 50/50, respect and lust.

Don't see this changing my mind. The wife will be happy.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Just for giggles....I am going to post a little article from *Science and Technology Week

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A recent study at the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, has found that men have much greater activity in the part of the brain that humans have in common with low animals such as reptiles, while woman have greater activity in the part of the brain that is fully developed only in humans.
The researchers made this startling discovery when they used a PET(positron-emission tomography) scanner to measure the brain activity levels of sixty-one men and women who were instructed to lie still and not think about anything in paticular.

*Steve Nettleton, Science and Technology Week*

................just sayin

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I mean NO disrespect to males, by posting this last article.

It just seemed like an AMAZING thought, so I added it.

Please guys do not be mad at me.....hey I did NOT auther this information, I am just sharing it.

MANY MANY apologies to anyone who I may have offended on accident.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
While brain studies in our primitive understanding of the true operation of the electrochemical operation of the brain are a dime a dozen (for e.g. it is impossible to define what is going in in one brain centre as being the same as or a cause or effect of what a research subject reports is going on at the time), behavioral studies are ostensibly much more accurate.

Therefore one can conclude:

Males use notions of "love" to get what they are after - sex.
Females use notions of "sex" to get what they are after - love.

Just adding to silly stereotypes really.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well, it seems, the brain is a dead topic.

Must.... save.... the BRAIN!

[edit on 2-6-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
There was an article in the NYTimes a couple of days ago that discussed some research (perhaps the same study) using brain scans that discovered that romantic love is a biological urge with a neurological profile similar to hunger, thirst or craving a drug.

As a relationship deepens, the brain scans suggest, the neural activity associated with romantic love alters slightly, and in some cases primes areas deep in the primitive brain that are involved in long-term attachment.

The research helps explain why love produces such disparate emotions, from euphoria to anger to anxiety, and why it seems to become even more intense when it is withdrawn. In a separate, continuing experiment, the researchers are analyzing brain images from people who have been rejected by their lovers.

"When you're in the throes of this romantic love it's overwhelming, you're out of control, you're irrational, you're going to the gym at 6 a.m. every day - why? Because she's there," said Dr. Helen Fisher, an anthropologist at Rutgers University and the co-author of the analysis. "And when rejected, some people contemplate stalking, homicide, suicide. This drive for romantic love can be stronger than the will to live."

www.nytimes.com...

Stalking... homicide... suicide... and people wonder why breaking up is hard to do.

But anyone who has been in love doesn't need a brain scan to know that there is some uncontrollable force that makes you do obsessive things like doodle his name hundreds of times all over the margins of your notepad or check your answering machine every five minutes on the off chance that he might have called while you stepped out to get a cup of coffee.

At least there is now scientific evidence that suggests that this behavior is driven by a temporary psychosis of sorts.

Thank goodness... and I thought I was just neurotic.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Just a correction....it had to be an fMRI or a PET scan of the brain to show functionality. Xrays just show 2-D detail. The others can show 3D and changes in activity from baseline.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I mean NO disrespect to males, by posting this last article.

It just seemed like an AMAZING thought, so I added it.

Please guys do not be mad at me.....hey I did NOT auther this information, I am just sharing it.

MANY MANY apologies to anyone who I may have offended on accident.

No Offense taken... the reason the study showed these result is because men could focus and shut off part of thier upper brain and women couldn't.

Emotions and logical thought are often uncontrolled in women due to a natural affinity for communication and interaction on a constant level where as men tend to go into "animal mode" when need be and shut off emotion and logic. This is why men make fast acting soldiers and the majority of monks and other famous meditators.

Women joined the scene with the New Age movement but still can come no where near men in the ability for biofeedback control and mental self control.

Don't believe me? Search a few psychology journals or just watch people. Men will fight, then turn around and be at peace with what they did in a brutal animal state.... women will walk around with grudges for decades.

Brain scans while activly thinking show that men will pound through logic and spacial relations like they are nothing, while women have a much lower limit because they are running emotions and social skills constantly.

All this being in general, there are always individuals who are exceptions.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Therefore one can conclude:

Males use notions of "love" to get what they are after - sex.
Females use notions of "sex" to get what they are after - love.

Just adding to silly stereotypes really.

When I first read this, I thought "holy poontang. This guy was in my Religious Studies class in High School!"*.

After realising the doubtfulness of this, I had to wrack my brain (and half kill Google in the process...), trying to remember the quote, and the book from which it was so vaguely remembered..

"In spite of the claims made by sexual utopians in the 1960s, sex is never value-free, never without its human and emotional consequences. Sex may be fun, but it is unpredictable and mysterious fun. Mary Calderone put it well when she said, The girl plays at sex, for which she is not ready, because fundamentally what she wants is love; and the boy plays at love, for which he is not ready, because what he wants is sex.' Sex is not just about sex. That is why all societies and religious systems have sought some kind of control and ordering of the thing. "

Seems we didn't need a book to tell us that after all

(* - we studied Contemporary Issues, as well as The Gospel Of St Paul, in Religious Education classes at high school. This was a regular public school, not private, and not religiously funded. That seems strange when I mention it to Americans...but then I recall that in grade school we said the Lord's Prayer every morning, too. Same thing. Public (free) schools. I digress)

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Well said Quest. Just because we aren't living in jungles and beating our chests doesn't mean our original animal instincts etc are gone.

I'm no psychologist but it seems obvious to me that even though we've got equal rights nowadays, there is still that primal instinct in men to be the strong ones, to turn off emotion & get on with the job (no matter how the guy is raised), whereas women play the nurturing, supporting role. It's a perfect balance in my opinion.

This study isn't really that big of a suprise. Look at how many guys can flop on the couch, grab a beer and just turn off, whereas alot of women will tend to worry about things more...hope that didn't come across as sexist. Just observations I've made.

Btw Tinkleflower, I must be one of the few guys that works the other way around hehe. I play at sex cos I like the emotional bond...maybe I need to get a boob job & start wearing skirts?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

They had X rays of the workings of the human brain. It was showing bright orange colors when synapses were fireing. They can SEE the area of the brain that is sparking WHEN a person is feeling LOVE.....as well as the synapses sparking when a person is feeling the desire for sex. They showed these X rays, wich were more like little movies of the workings of the brain, than just pictures. A persons ability to LOVE can actually be charted in this manner!

This kind of makes me think of auras, really similar.

This is an amazing thing! They say the male brain registers a GREATER need for love, than does the female brain. In both men and woman however, the need for LOVE is vastly bigger than the desire for sex.

That's really odd, that the male brain registers a greater need, i mean...seriously, how can you tell, were mean. But then again, perhaps it is true, i NEED LOTS OF LOVIN!!!!!!
now i can say it's scientifically proven! hahahahaaaaa!!!

Just for giggles....I am going to post a little article from *Science and Technology Week

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A recent study at the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, has found that men have much greater activity in the part of the brain that humans have in common with low animals such as reptiles, while woman have greater activity in the part of the brain that is fully developed only in humans.
The researchers made this startling discovery when they used a PET(positron-emission tomography) scanner to measure the brain activity levels of sixty-one men and women who were instructed to lie still and not think about anything in paticular.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!
jk lol im not surprised personally lol. Relax rivergoddess, were not insulted.....i guess were just naturally cold blooded! heehee lol

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Im going to ask the obvious question, where do girlie-men fit into this?

But really so long as were making generalizations women tend to think of the emotional, for example soap operas,now I only watch those with my mom but I thought those shows were corny and not put together well but my mom is crying her guts out over something obviously fake. On the other hand men can sit in a boat for the better part of the day and not say a word to anyone. But its all good

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   

This is showing, that the humans desire for acceptance and LOVE is much greater than just feeling a 'sexual' desire.

Men have a greater NEED for love....
At first I thought no way, but then I thought, maybe men have this greater need but don't express it. So we women don't always pick up on it.

I do know from personal experience, some men HURT a lot when that love is challenged. They don't always communicate this hurt in a way a woman can relate.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Men have a greater NEED for love....
At first I thought no way, but then I thought, maybe men have this greater need but don't express it. So we women don't always pick up on it.

I do know from personal experience, some men HURT a lot when that love is challenged. They don't always communicate this hurt in a way a woman can relate.

Well my ears are open....how do we communicate in a way that a woman can relate? Becuase i know it's true for me what you sed about hurting alot, however ive always figured its the same for women? None more than the other.....but maybe im wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Wow...I wonder if people will start getting this brain scan to test each others actual LOVE quotiant prior to getting married???

Seems like what the average nerd would do. Gather up some facts for support of something totally idealistic.

What this little tidbit of info actually does is just as relevant as to what comes out of a friends mouth.

In other words one will percieve it as: Anything to get out of a relationship, or to convince yourself to be in one.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Well said Quest. Just because we aren't living in jungles and beating our chests doesn't mean our original animal instincts etc are gone.

I'm no psychologist but it seems obvious to me that even though we've got equal rights nowadays, there is still that primal instinct in men to be the strong ones, to turn off emotion & get on with the job (no matter how the guy is raised), whereas women play the nurturing, supporting role. It's a perfect balance in my opinion.

This study isn't really that big of a suprise. Look at how many guys can flop on the couch, grab a beer and just turn off, whereas alot of women will tend to worry about things more...hope that didn't come across as sexist. Just observations I've made.

Btw Tinkleflower, I must be one of the few guys that works the other way around hehe. I play at sex cos I like the emotional bond...maybe I need to get a boob job & start wearing skirts?

I just splurted out half a cup of coffee after reading that line.

Dude, you owe me for the Cleaning Of The Monitor cost

(sorry, sorry, I digress...carry on with discussion. Ahem.)

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Must.... save.... the BRAIN!

All we CAN do....is try MA........and if at first we don't succeed?
try and try again.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Save Teh Brian!

(sorry - I saw that elsewhere on the net today)

Kidding aside though; I've watched people spend thousands of dollars on agencies who claim to pair you off with your intellectually-similar best match.

I haven't heard many success stories though - further indicating that there's nothing like good old chemistry to get the old hormones racing

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Love at first sight is love for looks .

most people think love is like this on the TV but it not

top topics

<<   2 >>

join