Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Is it just me or is religion the cause of 90% of major wars

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Lets look at the facts. Religion plays a huge part in a lot of peoples lives. I have noticed though that religion plays a huge huge part in major wars. Lets look at this.

The war on terrorism- Terrorists call christians infidels..they bomb us to kill christians and jews.

Balkan conflicts- Slobadon hates the slavs...kills a bunch of them. NATO is forced to respond.

WW I- the Austrians HATE the serbs...an austrian national kills archduke ferdinand. Russia backs up hungary and they join. Everyone else joins.

The crusades- Muslims take over what the christians and jew call the holy land, pope urban calls for a war. The long term effect of that....a lot of terrorism by muslims today.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
sweetness on the triple post man!

I agree as well, religion can be and is used to manipulate it's followers, what we need more of, is science

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
There was a thread quite some time ago on this topic and I will respond here as I did in the prior thread.

As much as I am against organized religion, it is not the problem. The problem is the desire of the Ego for power and control.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yes I do agree that religion is not totally to blame, but I do think that people use religion as a crutch to start conflicts.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Lets look at the facts. Religion plays a huge part in a lot of peoples lives. I have noticed though that religion plays a huge huge part in major wars. Lets look at this.

I would not only say major wars, but all wars. Everyday you hear about more and more desicration and degridation of people and there lives, homes, families. War has been here since the dawn of time. I dont see it changing anytime in the future either.

When people can look at one another and stop judging because someone else is different then they are. Which is a contradiction in terms. Because we all want to have our own opinion, beliefs to be heard. And yet this causes so much discontent.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I would urge caution when expressing that "ALL" wars have been caused by religion, cause I can simply spout out evidences to the extreme contray.

Was the Vietnam War caused by religion?
Was the 1st or 2nd Gulf War caused by religion?
Was WWI or WWII caused by religion?

The examples can go on. "All" is an absolute and leaves no room for error, unless of course, one uses it improperly.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Human Nature is the cause, religion is merely the pre text.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I would urge caution when expressing that "ALL" wars have been caused by religion, cause I can simply spout out evidences to the extreme contray.

Was the Vietnam War caused by religion?
Was the 1st or 2nd Gulf War caused by religion?
Was WWI or WWII caused by religion?

The examples can go on. "All" is an absolute and leaves no room for error, unless of course, one uses it improperly.

WWI-caused by religion-if there was no religious dissent between austria hungary and the slavs then there would have been no catalyst for wwI.

The reason our troops are still in the gulf region-sunni and shiite conflict.

Religion is everywhere in war. If you look at it hard enough theres always some kind of religious conflict that drives or starts war.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'd just like to state that religion has never caused war, however humanity has been the cause of all wars.

Its like, who is responsible...the knife or the person who wielded the knife

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Religion hasn't caused every war.. [holy wars are a different story] but it does supply the soldiers.
And.. for all the people who keep stating that it is humans not religion that cause wars.. religion is made up of masses of humans.. that is by defintion what religion is so it is just as morally flawed as human beings.

[edit on 26-6-2005 by riley]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Religion is the devils best invention because he causes man to fight man and he doesnt need to help too much.
Jesus never claimed a religion and God never told us to.

top topics

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution