It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mil Mi-24 Hind..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Look at this video:

video.kavkazcenter.com...

A Mil Mi-24 Hind (likely to be Mi-24P with Gsh-30-2 cannon..) Gunship is shotdown by Chechen rebels using SA-16 MANPAD.. "Allah akbar!" Crys out the shooter as missile hits the helicopter..
Fanatics i tell ya..

www.fas.org...

Quite good pics and info on Mil Mi-24.. There are many pics of the Iraqi Mi-24 captured by US troops in 1991..

[Edited on 7-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I didn't see the rocket leave the barrel and the rocket's impact. I didn't even see the smoke trail that showed the path of the rocket, it looks B.S. to me.

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
I didn't see the rocket leave the barrel and the rocket's impact. I didn't even see the smoke trail that showed the path of the rocket, it looks B.S. to me.

R U STUPID?
SA-16 Is a "smokeless" missile.. and watch the video.. there is a direct hit on the HIND.. and allthough it doesnt burst into flames.. (it is quite unusual to hind to start burn as it is well protected all around) it loses POWER and makes a forced landing behind the hill.. you can see it on the video.. So it is a shootdown..

BTW i have by myself holded in my hand a SA-7 and SA-16.. (In Finnish army.. were i served in Anti aircraft artillery..) they are quite nice.. only bad thing about them is the thermal battery witch lasts only 30secs after it is turned on.. and allso that one launcher fits only to 2 pecific missile tubes.. (1 launcher for 2 missiles..) and other thing about the video.. they only shoot one missile.. in Finnish army we were told allways to shoot 2 missiles at the same target at the same time.. 2 of any missiles.. Strela, Igla, Igla-m, Crotale-ng or Buk-m1 (SA-11 Gadfly).. So that the hit propability would allways be high 70-100%

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 11:24 AM
link   
R U STUPID?
SA-16 Is a "smokeless" missile.. and watch the video.. there is a direct hit on the HIND.. and allthough it doesnt burst into flames.. (it is quite unusual to hind to start burn as it is well protected all around) it loses POWER and makes a forced landing behind the hill.. you can see it on the video.. So it is a shootdown..

BTW i have by myself holded in my hand a SA-7 and SA-16.. (In Finnish army.. were i served in Anti aircraft artillery..) they are quite nice.. only bad thing about them is the thermal battery witch lasts only 30secs after it is turned on.. and allso that one launcher fits only to 2 pecific missile tubes.. (1 launcher for 2 missiles..) and other thing about the video.. they only shoot one missile.. in Finnish army we were told allways to shoot 2 missiles at the same target at the same time.. 2 of any missiles.. Strela, Igla, Igla-m, Crotale-ng or Buk-m1 (SA-11 Gadfly).. So that the hit propability would allways be high 70-100%

No, I am not stupid. That's why I say the video is, TO ME, B.S. I did not see the firing of the rocket. I did not see the rocket impact the helicopter. I did not see the rocket in flight. I do not have audio on my CPU here, so, i'm asking, is there a thumping sound to indicate the rocket was fired? Is the rocket heat-seeking?

So if you're not stupid, tell me, why do you prejudge me given the facts i've stated?

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   

R U STUPID?

No, I am not stupid. That's why I say the video is, TO ME, B.S. I did not see the firing of the rocket. I did not see the rocket impact the helicopter. I did not see the rocket in flight. I do not have audio on my CPU here, so, i'm asking, is there a thumping sound to indicate the rocket was fired? Is the rocket heat-seeking?

So if you're not stupid, tell me, why do you prejudge me given the facts i've stated?

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I dint know that you had no audio..
But in the video there is the Real sound of Real missile fired.. there is allso the sound of the missile flying.. and the explosion as it hits the HIND.. and by the way if you want to watch the video properly you should "save as" the link and not try to stream it..
Belive me it is a real downing of the HIND..
And just before the explosion you can see some smoke of the missile as it nears the HIND some 100-200 meters of it..

And about the sound of the explosion.. it comes many secornds after the hit as sound only travels some 330m/s and the Hind is many (3-5 Kilometers / 2-3 Miles) away..

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Helicopters are very vulnerable; but the Hind is a particularly ill-starred one: I remember figures of 330-plus for combat losses in Afghanistan -largely Stingers as the SAM's there, I believe (never mind operational losses)
Thank heavens, I suppose, it was a gunship-version and not a troop-carrier -I guess loss of life was minimised.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Mind you, the Vietnam figure was, I believe, somewhat over 5,000 - hence my point about the vulnerability of choppers.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Helicopters are very vulnerable.. even the HIND witch is in fact THE FLYING TANK.. but the figure "330" is number of all aircraft downed or damaged by Stinger missiles.. 1000+ of them were fired.. so only about 33% hit their tarhets..
And the US lost some 6500 helicoters in Vietnam.. But this figure includes all loses and not only shoot downs.. (crashes, write offs of the damaged aircraft.. etc..) but due enemy action the US did lose between 2000-3000 helicopters.. also not all of these were shoot down either.. some were just damaged so badly that it wasnt worth repairing..

And had same though as i looked the video.. as first chopper to over fly the Chechens was Mil Mi-8 HIP troop carrier.. if they had shoot at it there may have been as many as 33 casualities.. as it has crew of 3 annd can carry 30 passangers.. but in case of hind there was Probaply 3 men aboard.. pilot, weapons-officer and flight mechanic (MG Gunner) but also the HIND can take 8 passengers also..

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You actually can see the smoke trail from the rocket right before it hits the helicopter.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
You actually can see the smoke trail from the rocket right before it hits the helicopter.

I kinda allready told that?

Nice downing wasnt it? But really i hope none died in it.. Because even if i like (as i do..) weapons of all kind.. i do not like killing people..
All life is precious..

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well, being I haven't posted to this....and being I love military aircraft and such....

The "Hind" was an awesome assault/attack helicopter. I believe the "Hind" was given the dubious honor of being called the "Flying Tank." It was a monster....heavily armored, pilot protection, able to absorb heavy ground fire, and a fearsome sight to see on any battlefield. It may be possible that the term: "Can of Whoopazz" came when someone watched this beast unload on a target. *shrug*

It was ugly, to me, but its ugliness grows on ya. Today when I see one in pictures, etc., I get a few goose bumps.....as I am sure a few Western observers did when they first saw it.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
ALLAHU AKBAR ALLAHU AK-*KABOOM!*
*a Su-25 sends a volley of rockets at them*

Crazy bastards.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 07:34 PM
link   
allahu akbar is I think translated says God is great. Well I suppose you people can come up with better phrases?

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverDeath
allahu akbar is I think translated says God is great. Well I suppose you people can come up with better phrases?

Did you even look at the video..? The Chechen rebels, gunmen, terrorists.. anyway you like them to be called, shouted some 50+ "Allah akbar" the god is great.. thanking and praising their lord for their success in downing THE HIND.. what is the big deal? Btw allah is god (not allah is allah..) the moslems serve the same god as we cristians.. they just use Mohamed as their leader and not Jesus as whe..

GOD IS SAME FOR US ALL.. WE JUST USE DIFFERENT WAYS TO SERVE HIM/HER..

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uninen

Originally posted by SilverDeath

Did you even look at the video..? The Chechen rebels, gunmen, terrorists.. anyway you like them to be called, shouted some 50+ "Allah akbar" the god is great.. thanking and praising their lord for their success in downing THE HIND.. what is the big deal? Btw allah is god (not allah is allah..) the moslems serve the same god as we cristians.. they just use Mohamed as their leader and not Jesus as whe..

GOD IS SAME FOR US ALL.. WE JUST USE DIFFERENT WAYS TO SERVE HIM/HER..

Yes I saw the video and it was annoying the way they said the phrase. And they were excitied because they blew up a helicopter not many ppl can say that.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
US and UK bomber navigator and pilots and apache gunship gunners repeated again and again:

Get some, Get some, Get some, Get some, Get some, Get some..

As they dropped their laser guided bombs or fired the hellfire missiles.. at people.. or when they were looking trough FLIR sight hunting down single escaping soldiers with 30mm chaingun..

I have seen the gun camera footage with the audio.. do you think that this is better? I think that what these US / UK pilots are saying is way more sicker..

During 1991 Gulf war..

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
They were mimicing Full Metal Jacket

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outtis

Yep, that episode with machinegunner is one of my favorites.

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by Russky]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outtis

You ruined this topic.. tnx..
WORLDS MOST SH!77Y movie.. mentioned here..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join