It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld Defends Treatment of Prisoners At Gitmo (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
U.S Defense Secretary, Donald H. Rumsfeld, has defended the treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. He acknowledged the fact that prisoners had been mistreated, "some times grievously". The statement is in direct response to Amnesty International's report comparing Guantanamo Bay to the Russian gulag system.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld defended the military's handling of detained terror suspects Wednesday while acknowledging that some have been mistreated, "sometimes grievously."

At a Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld criticized Amnesty International, the human rights group, for calling the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, "the gulag of our time." The group has urged the United States to close the prison, where about 540 men are held on suspicion of links to
Afghanistan's ousted Taliban or the al-Qaida terror network. Some have been there for more than three years without charges.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How can he defend the treatment of these detainees when he admits himself that 370 criminal investigations have been launched into abuse. 130 of which cases have resulted in prosecution.

The pure fact that these men have been in detention for 3 years with no charges brought against them is a travesty. They are not POW's, there was no war declaration against Afghanistan so they have been kidnapped.

If I were detaineed like they are I would be suing the pants of this administration when I get released!

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
(submission) (news) Bush Dismisses Amnesty International Report That Criticizes The U.S

[edit on 1/6/05 by subz]

join