It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Avoids Off-Shore Drilling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I just came across this article announcing a deal between the State of Florida and Coastal Petroleum, who is seeking compensation from the state due to a law barring off-shore drilling.

So, while President Bush is fighting to get oil-drilling opened and approved in many areas around the country, his brother is cheering on the prevention of oil-drilling in Florida.

I think we are in desperate need of more oil for immediate relief, but even more importantly, a better solution than oil for long-term relief. Maybe Jeb's taking a step in the right direction by stopping this drilling, as it may force us to seek other sources of energy... or maybe he's just another Floridiot.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Really I am. A Bush is actually blocking Oil Exploitation. Good Job
This will provide yet more incentive to research alternatives.

I really hope he isn't planning to use that money for new Reactors though...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Really I am. A Bush is actually blocking Oil Exploitation. Good Job
This will provide yet more incentive to research alternatives.

Really. I'm too lazy to pull up the research again (and it's not like anyone cared the first time), but it's about the most cynical thing the Bush crime family ever did on prime time tv. This stuff started back during Jeb's re-election campaign. Part of a HUGE federal payoff for the election of his brother. We, through federal taxes, sent our money to Florida to pay the oil companies not to drill in Florida (while expanding drilling everywhere else!) and make Jeb look like this great environmentalist, blah, blah, blah. Swampland. My money dambit. Hug a tree today. Bush loves puppies. Whatever.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yep, most of us Floridians are pretty well aware of this little ongoing scam. This has always been about a build up for presidency... While no fan of Jeb, especially after his numerous attempts to skirt the process in the Schiavo mess, and abuses of power, he'd STILL be better than the current idiot in chief.

Still, I'm hoping the Libertarians can actually field a palatable candidate in 2008. Florida is also a tourist mecca... Just one oil accident could cost the state BILLIONS in eco-damage and lost tourism, so they'll definitely pay big oil to NOT drill.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I agree with Gazrok, the threat of losing all those tourist dollars after an oil accident is the real reason the drilling was blocked.

Don't forget that Florida already runs a big risk from an oil spill, Miami and Tampa are the main depots for gasoline refined in carribean. All the gas for those rental cars the tourists love and the cars us regular folk drive here comes in thru Miami and Tampa by ship. Hess has huge depots at those two ports and owns the western hemisphere's largest refinery which is in the Virgin islands. It's almost crazy because a shipping accident in the port of Miami could seriously hurt the cruise industry and cripple the supply of fuel to the state.

new topics

top topics

join