It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution, is this a possible future for humans ???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Has anybody heard of BrainGate

It allows physically handicapped patients move robotic arms, mouse cursors and even type just by thinking.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
I don't have a link to the uber-prosthetics as it was a part of a Discovery channel feature show about robots narrated by the girl from the X-files ten years ago, if you are interested do your own research.

You have the time to ask for links, it takes the exact same time to go to google's website and find out for yourselves.

Cyborgs and robots will replace you, because you are lazy!

Let me demonstrate:

Feasibility of self replicating nano-machines

Google News Search: Self-Replicating Robots
News from May 11 to 29th.

Research is painless.

thanks for nothing, does anybody else care to discuss the thread ?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Legalizer, this is my job doing research then making money off of it
The links you posted were NOT nano-self-replicated they were MACRO SELF ASSEMBLY!!! THERE IS A BIG NO A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Sorry for shouting but you have it confused with Micheal Chritons Prey.

These so-called Nano-Machines are 10 CM in length! Nothing NANO about them
Perhaps YOU should do your research before opening your mouth...

Here is an actual link with a Video of these so-called Nanobots,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.mae.cornell.edu...

There is the direct link. As you can see they are primitive and btw I will prolly become a Cyborg fairly soon due to medical issue so no I won't be replaced maybe you will be due to your illogical fear but whatever...

[edit on 2-6-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
just to clarify, I have no fear of cyborgs, and I think the other humans are more interesting anyway, the one with radiation-proof skin, and the astran...I'm just trying to spark a good discussion......

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
just to clarify, I have no fear of cyborgs, and I think the other humans are more interesting anyway, the one with radiation-proof skin, and the astran...I'm just trying to spark a good discussion......

And I applaud you for that
Personally the only issue I have with that MSN article is the timeframe. I no you have no fear of Cyborgs but Legalizer does for some odd reason. *shrug* I thought the most far-out prediction was the Radiation Hardened humans, but who knows our collective stupidity could send us down that road eventually as I am of the school of thought that if we don't kill ourselves off due to ecological devestation or Nuclear war then I guess we could specalize that way, or we could use Genetics to make humans more adaptable to Zero G so we can start sending Colonizing Ships to other planets. BTW This is a good thread!
Keep up trying to promote this discussion by thinking out of the box

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

byrd,
do you think sexual selection could be replaced/eliminated by cyborgs ?

I mean if it became routine where a large percentage of the population received mechanical cyborg "upgrades"

No, because the implants/upgrades aren't genetically inheritable. And genetic inheritance is what makes evolution.

I've had surgery to remove my appendix, but my kids still had appendixes. If I cyborg my vision (which would be nice, I think) to enhance what I see and put me online permanently, it's just My Technology (just as my laptop is) and not something that can be passed along.

That's another reason why I think the article is a bit lame.

Sex might be a replaceable thing for some folks (sex with fantasy robot/android or whatever) but there's people out there who want a real human with all their faults and all their delights rather than an elegant machine.

Genetically... who knows? I think the one clear direction we see is an increase in height.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

for the purposes of this thread, a cyborg is an individual combined with or GREATLY enhanced by a machine. Think 6 million dollar man. Hearing aids really aren't the point.

The greatest journey is begun with a single step. Evolution takes time. The trick is to watch for signs of the acceptence of change however small they may be.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey Byrd,
Good old lamarkian thinking raises its ugly head again !

I was trying to get at the idea that evolution could be halted/ended by a culture where what determines who lives to be old enough to reach sexual maturity and reproduce and pass their genes on is no longer survival of the fittest, but a world where medical technology and cyborg technology ensures almost everyone reaches sexual maturity, therefore ending the selection process. Does that make any sense ?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think the transition of the human race from purely organic, I.e., natural, to a mixture of organic & inorganic parts has already started. Over time humans will take on more and more artificial add ons until someday we'll be cyborgs. First will come inplants such as ID tags & tracers that let us keep up with our kids and loved ones (this has already started), Then will come implants containing greater & greater amounts of information about who we are, where we're from, what our security clearance is, etc., etc., etc.., (this too has already started).
Once we get past the basic implants of who & what we are will come implants to monitor our health and perhaps even make adjustments to it if needed. (These types of implants are being discussed now and trials will commence soon.) Next will likely be communications capabilities imbeded inside us to allow us to summon help anytime, anywhere, or just chat with our friends & loved ones. Eventually we'll move on to memory aids & enhancements so we'll never forget important things (to us) anymore. All the while, we'll also adopt fixes at first, and later, enhancements for our hearing, eyes, etc.
These changes to ourselves will be voluntary and welcomed by the overwhelming majority of humanity. When will we stop tinkering with ourselves? Who knows, probably never.
Why will we do it? Because we can.

In parallel, we will monkey with our organic parts and try to improve them as well. At first, these types of changes will be for health purposes, but that won't last long. Before you know it we'll be lengthening our life spans and making ourselves better (in our collective opinion) than nature did/can. This kind of activity is not likely to stop either--not ever. Somewhere in the not-so-distant future we will truely be part man & part machine. I.e., true cyborgs.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Further to the above:

There is no question at all about doing the things above--we will. Does that mean they are bad, or imorale, or atheistic? Not at all. Oh! I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree at first, but in the long run they won't matter in the slightest. Imagine the enormous advantages our descendants will have over us. They'll be healthier, they'll live longer, be smarter, etc. Somewhere along the way we'll have to more-or-less coordinate our changes lest we become to different from one another, but we will change--and change more or less collectively. The simple truth is that mankind is taking control of it's own evolution.

However, none of these things will matter over the long haul because we will end up exterminating ourselves unless we learn how to get off this single planet we all live on and scatter our seeds amongst the stars.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Prepare to be assimilated -- resistance is futile.

In the unforgetable words of "Pogo", we have met the Borg and they is us.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
In the near future we will have implants that can send/receive signals to and from the brain, so that we can think something and it will happen. Such as if I wanted to open my garage door, I would think it and PRESTO an open door. We have something close to this technology now but nowhere near to what Im talking about(wireless).

This Technology has already been mentioned by Vegemite which helps paralysis victims:
www.guardian.co.uk...

It seems quite promising and the possibilities are endless.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Charlie Murphy]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charlie Murphy
In the near future we will have implants that can send/receive signals to and from the brain, so that we can think something and it will happen.

Yes we will Charlie, in fact all the pieces of the technology you envision are already here except the sensors. We still can't detect, measure, and understand all the signals coming from the brain with anything near the precision and speed required. We'll get there, but progress in this particular area is, and will continue to be, slowed by the necessity to open up peoples brains so we can learn enough to not have to open them up anymore. Once we can really read and understand the brains signals (and that understanding/reading doesn't have to be perfect) then progress will proceed at a dizzying pace.

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I know the we already have the tech, hence the link. I said in the near future we would think it and PRESTO it would happen. As you mentioned currently it is not very fast.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused on the primary question and the strain of thought posting replies. Is this a discussion concerning homo sapien evolution or the possible event of a cyborg war in the future? Re-address the question to be more specific, I'm sure there is alot to talk about with both.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by quarterforty
I'm a bit confused on the primary question and the strain of thought posting replies. Is this a discussion concerning homo sapien evolution or the possible event of a cyborg war in the future? Re-address the question to be more specific, I'm sure there is alot to talk about with both.

hey quarter, feel free to add to the thread, but pointing out it has gone off topic just pushes it further off topic.......

I was trying to spark the discussion about sexual selection, and if medicine and cyborg technology might actually halt evolution as we know it. If a huge percentage of the gene pool live long enough to reproduce, we're just mixing the same genes around right ? no "weaknesses" get weeded out so to speak. Once you have reproduced and passed on your genes, it really doesn't matter if you get hit by a bus when your 50, your contribution to the pool has already been made.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by alias101
I don't think its possible. I honestly don't think evolution is real. I mean I know I didn't evolve from a monkey. I may act like a monkey sometimes, and I may have similar features as a monkey, but that doesn't mean I came from one. I mean people say I look like the old Ann Margret does that mean I evolved from her.

Evolution isn't something that happens in one singular lifetime. You say that you didn't evolve from a monkey. Well, no, you didn't. Your species slowly, over millions of years, changed and adapted in connection to where the individuals migrated. Way too many people hear the words "we evolved from apes" and take it so literally that in their minds eye they visualize a monkey transforming into a modern human. That is so far from the actual idea of evolution. The fact is, you are evolving right now. Look down at your foot. Your little toe, pinky toe if you will, is becoming useless. In ten or twenty million years, should we survive that long, we may develop with only four or fewer toes, or perhaps even a toeless foot shaped like the inside of a shoe. You have a few organs in your body at this very moment that you no longer need. Why? because your ancestors ate the meat from carcasses and needed the extra processing power to aid in digestion. The actual organs merely aren't done evolving out. It will happen, but those changes are very slow.

Little mutations happen in different individuals all the time. Some don't stick, and some last for generations. I have a mutation myself, that has been passed down to my son. I have a urethra that is seperate from my seminal canal. All of the other men that I know have one canal for both functions. It's all a matter of mutations and changes and adaptations that assist our species in this long journey of evolution.

So, you are right. You personally didn't 'come from' an ape or monkey. But it is very likely a fact that we developed, over millions of years, from more ape-like versions of what we are today.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

So, you are right. You personally didn't 'come from' an ape or monkey. But it is very likely a fact that we developed, over millions of years, from more ape-like versions of what we are today.

Sort of like Bigfoot
Which brings us to the fact of why so many of us are interested in that rumour or an ape-man living today....not that I believe a word of it, it's still interesting nontheless

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
you people have no idea what the evolution trick is. your country is playing with your hopes. you will survive because you are gonna change. haha. they will take blackmen's soil, they will take the oil, they will bomb you, they will enslave you,and you are gonna survive because of evulotion. what the hell? thats all about reserves. they will take all what you have. and that is called evolution, if you look through enough.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join