It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution, is this a possible future for humans ???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

unihumans, survivalistian, numan, cyborg, astran......

I don't think it will take 3 million years to have a cyborg, and the battle between genetically altered humans and natural humans may be only 300 years away, imo....

thoughts ?

[edit on 1-6-2005 by syrinx high priest]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I don't think its possible. I honestly don't think evolution is real. I mean I know I didn't evolve from a monkey. I may act like a monkey sometimes, and I may have similar features as a monkey, but that doesn't mean I came from one. I mean people say I look like the old Ann Margret does that mean I evolved from her.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I can't believe there is so much ignorance when it comes to evolution. Evolution is not a religion. It in fact does not take anything away from any religion. It is just saying that their is certain similarities in nature that change over time to adapt to their ever changing envirements and the strongest species will survive. It does not say we came from monkeys, it says that a certain type of birds beak will get stronger over time as the bark of their favorite trees get more solidified.

Evolution is undeniable if you have any smarts in your head at all. People's problems aren't evolution. people's problems are their understanding of evolution. I doubt anyone who has a ant feelings towords evolution I'm almost positive that they havn'e read "Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. They just talk about what they hear other people say about it, and that is sad. Do research on your own and the world will be a lot less confusing.
thanks.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
imo, i dont think well ever have cyborgs, or any robot that will be able to reproduce or 100% control itself like humans do, i dont think the government or human race would allow it for fear of being taken over by something we created.genetically altered humans, as in altered genes and stuff, definitly a reality but wed probably never go to war with them.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I hate to go off on a rant here, but I don't understand why it is so bad if we were to have descended from apes--and if I'm not mistaken, that's not how the theory of human descent goes anyways, we have a common ancestor to apes. Regardless of that, what is so special about us that we can't be associated with them? What difference does it make in our lives anyways? Is a boss going to fire someone because they have a chimpanzee as a long-lost cousin? I doubt it, because it'd be his cousin too. Is some hot girl not going to give me the time of day because millions of years ago my ancestors swung from trees? I doubt it; she'll find much more current reasons to ignore me. It has little, if any, bearing on life. I mean, we've all got a family tree we'd love to go back and prune a couple of limbs off of, but we can't and I'd say over 99% of the time it's entirely irrelevant anyways.

Vox

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
thats a good point, the entire human race came from necessity rather than the freak mutation of one naked ape,

it's like the Mammoth, after the ice age, the remaining Mammoths Shed their Hair to keep their body temperature down, its a similar thing with us,

we aren't descended from Apes, we share a common Ancestor, thats why people are so interested in Bigfoot, he's supposed to be the missing link or something,

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I hate to break it to you, but...

Cyborg

Main Entry: cy·borg
Pronunciation: 'sI-"borg
Function: noun
Etymology: cybernetic + organism
: a bionic human

A great many people are cyborgs by definition.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Why would cyborgs and humans fight? That doesnt make sence?

I dont think there are many ppl who hate cyborgs after playing
external image

But seriously I dont see why we would fight. Unless maybe some religous nutjob thinks its unnatural and calls for some sort of war.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If you ask me, cyborgs are gonna be THE THING some time to come.It;s probably going to be the 'plastic surgery' of that generation and naturally, 'ordinary people are gonna have some reservations about the sanctity of the human race which would bring about a 'war'.

But i'm not really worried about cyborgs as i am about the machines themselves.with all this A.I breakthroughs, i'm really beginning to believe that robots are soon gonna be able to 'think' and subsequently program and create others of their kind.You can guess what comes next.

Anyway that's just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I think that people are mistaking cyborgs with AI. People often forget that individuals with hearing aides, heart valves, pacemakers, electronic enhanced limbs, etc are cyborgs by definition. A cyborgs basis is an organic creature.

For that scenerio to become a reality, all organics of an orgnaism must be replaced at which point it would be questionable as to whether the subject is still a cyborg or a 'ghost in the machine'. Not AI, but an acutal mind that has been uploaded into a pure machine. I don't think anything that advanced will happen in my life-time, but the concept is wild and quite possible if you consider that the 'mind' (ie functioning of an active brain) is seemingly nothing more then electrical impulses.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It seems you don't grasp the timetable of evolution. Your grandparents obviously were not simians, use your #ing head.

As for cyborgs: I cannot wait until I can buy a Jennifer Lopez clone with a chip for a brain. Imagine the possiblities......

"J.Lo 4654, bring me my dinner, borricua!"

Hopefully her programming would be updateable for new sexual positions, recipes etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vox
thats a good point, the entire human race came from necessity rather than the freak mutation of one naked ape,

Technically, evolution specifys that we all come from freak mutation; mutation is supposedly the source of all variation in the world and is necessary for natural selection to take place.

According to evolution, we didn't evolve because we needed to, we evolved in our present form because we had what was needed to survive.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the possibility of cyborg / clone / genetic engineered people being the next step an one that is not too far off in our future.
With the advances that we are making everyday in these areas, it is no long a science fiction stiory to be written of only in the outer limits.
As a previous poster stated, cyborgs by definition are here with us today. The question is at what point would they no longer be considered huma. This is a question that Artur C. Clarke addressed in his "I Robot" book.
Clones, well, there have been reports already that there have been cloned babies.
With the Gene mapping project nearing it's completion, whatg will stop us from improving our next generation to be smarter, healthier, faster etc than we are today?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yep cyborg's live with us today, ye olde punk rocker Billy Idol wore some electrical leg brace for a long while that stimulates the cells with electrical shocks to regrow badly damaged parts, he thought it was ironic that his injury occured just as he had finished his album "Cyperpunk" in which he qoutes Gibson "through science and chemistry we are all becoming cyborgs", and then he in fact became one. That was 13 years ago.

Already there are people involved with cybernetic eye implants research, ten years ago they could see shapes and light variances.

There are similiar ear implants I believe.

The current model of prosthetic legs allows the "cripple" to run 20% faster than the fastest human, and the material its made of its pratically indestructible.
The arm/hand implant is simular, the recipient must be trained not to crush everything he/she grasps, and they can of course stick their hand inside some burning thing without noticing, if they turn off the sensors, because they've added sensors that allow a person to feel pressure and temperature through these prosthetics!!!

Over 300 unmanned ..read robot...aircraft are flying over Iraq at any given time, some of these are armed with hellfire missiles, they also have programming to allow them to make a decision on their own about firing on targets.

Police bomb robots are now armed with shotguns.

Just recently self replicating nano-machines have been produced, that replicate cell like feed and reproduce activity. Nano-tech will be the end of us, there are curently no safe-guards, no laws, no restraints against their use, and already they are being introduced in cosmetics, in America with zero information on the labeling. If we have not gotten virus or bacteria under control in our entire history, how do we expect to get mechanized virii under control?

There are assembly lines of robots building other robots, all it takes is a rampant computer to take the humans out of the equation.

If you are under 50, I say in your lifetime, you may see a war against robots, learn to program and build your own while there is still time....or I might just being crazy.

Humans...the majority of us, will not see super evolution, clones of ourselves, or cyborg upgrades, because most of us aren't filthy rich. Only the most wealthy, and at first the most eccentric of the most wealthy, will be the ones involved in this tech.

The rest of us, are dinosaurs.

[edit on 1-6-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Just recently self replicating nano-machines have been produced,

Really, I would love to see the proof of that claim

Remember Cybernetics + Genetics = Our chance of competing with AI Robots

And remember we have the Net now so when this technology becomes available it will proliferate like mad driving the price down.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Well, I dont think that it would take as long as that article says for geneticaly enhanced humans and cyborgs to come around, and as Jonna said, by definition there are cyborgs today.

The current model of prosthetic legs allows the "cripple" to run 20% faster than the fastest human, and the material its made of its pratically indestructible.
The arm/hand implant is simular, the recipient must be trained not to crush everything he/she grasps, and they can of course stick their hand inside some burning thing without noticing, if they turn off the sensors, because they've added sensors that allow a person to feel pressure and temperature through these prosthetics!!!

I am unaware of any system that advanced in use today, would you have a link for it?

Just recently self replicating nano-machines have been produced, that replicate cell like feed and reproduce activity.

A link to this to would be appreciated.

Also, I do not think Nano-technology will be our demise.

[edit on 6/2/2005 by iori_komei]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
for the purposes of this thread, a cyborg is an individual combined with or GREATLY enhanced by a machine. Think 6 million dollar man. Hearing aids really aren't the point.

would cyborgs mean the end of natural evolution, or are we headed towards organ farming, where you get a new set or organs, grown with your own dna, say at age 50. sort of a tune up.......

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Meh, I think it's rather silly speculation by someone who needed to write an interesting piece of reporting. The fact is that there ARE cyborgs among us and there have been since the 1980's. Dr. Steve Mann is probably the best known of the cyborgs:

wearcam.org...

sousveillance.org...

www.tribes.org...

And it's an interest of science fiction writer David Brin as well:
wearcam.org...

(one of Mann's devices

eyetap.org...

And Kevin Warwick with HIS implants:
www.kevinwarwick.com...

...and a host of others.

Technically, a borg is ENHANCING something or adding a new function (direct radar sensing) rather than just replacing a function.

We can't say what the next major mutation for homo sapiens will be. A lot of it depends on who we like to breed with. And with genetic engineering, this may become an interesting tangle.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
byrd,

do you think sexual selection could be replaced/eliminated by cyborgs ?

I mean if it became routine where a large percentage of the population received mechanical cyborg "upgrades"

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I don't have a link to the uber-prosthetics as it was a part of a Discovery channel feature show about robots narrated by the girl from the X-files ten years ago, if you are interested do your own research.

You have the time to ask for links, it takes the exact same time to go to google's website and find out for yourselves.

Cyborgs and robots will replace you, because you are lazy!

Let me demonstrate:

Feasibility of self replicating nano-machines

Google News Search: Self-Replicating Robots
News from May 11 to 29th.

Research is painless.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join