It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Supplies and Tips

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If you are told to evacuate, then GO. Planning ahead starts now!. If you live from paycheck to paycheck, start saving a s much per payday as you can, even if it is just a dollar. This is your gas money for escape. Buy a tent (put it on lay-a-way). Collect other camping gear. Keep all of you emergency gear in the same place for quick and easy loading.

Be aware of your enviorment. Find out what the worst case scenario is for your area. If you decide to ride it out, put clothes and food in plastic containers. Place all of this and your water on the highest floor possible.

Please remember that hurricanes spawn tornados. There were at least 100 reported in St. Tammany Parish alone. You may think that you can survive flooding, but most homes along the gulf coast are not very good tornado shelters. Tree damage alone can make your home uninhabitable.

Your best bet is to plan ahead for evacuation. You should get at least a 1 to 2 day warning so get as far away from the cone as possible. Material possessions can be replaced, family members cannot.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
get one of these hand cranked radios with cell phone chargers

I bought one at Target for about $50.00, I think it is an invaluable investment.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That's damn cool! and it's going in the kit!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I would also suggest a small photo album of your favorite pics. After all, unless you have them all on-line, that is the one thing most people miss most if they lose everything.

I'd advise getting them put onto CDs, much easier to carry than tons of photos....
But a great idea

One more tip...

In the aftermath, do NOT drive around unless you either have to, or are at least experienced at driving in such situations. Remember that no stoplight or a broken light is treated as a 4 way stop in most states (and should be in those that don't).... Also, you have to drive slower, and be more cognizant about potential road hazards, such as downed power lines, debris, and areas of standing water that may be deeper than they appear.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
After watching the NO Dome situation play out, I'd also recommend staying away from any shelter that can house more than a few hundred people.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I saw this advertised in a magainze and got one for myself. It's a charger for your cell phone that runs on a AA battery.
Could help in some emergency situations:
www.chargetogo.com...

Charge 2 Go™ is the reusable solution for constant wireless mobility. Has a dead cell phone battery ever slowed you down? This is the first reusable cell charger that makes sense. Take it anywhere for up to 3 extra hours of talk time.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
get one of these hand cranked radios with cell phone chargers

I bought one at Target for about $50.00, I think it is an invaluable investment.

I got one on line last month for about the same price. Played with it for hours. Don't wait until the emergency to figure out how it works. It's hard to read an instruction book by candlelight. Also got a nice little carry case with a shoulder strap.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
FEMA's failure in New Orleans has given us an invaluable lesson.

Today we need to plan for an extended period of time without food, water, sanitation, electricity or fuel.

Every time you go to the store add a little to your survival inventory.

If you live on well and septic, by all means have a hand pump installed on your well.
Consider a 100 gallon in ground fuel tank.
Solar panels
Generator
Wood stove, fireplace and wood
Propane tank or small coleman cylinders
Chain saw, ax hatchet
Swiss army knife
A dirt bike, bolt cutters, or wire cutters so you can choose your escape route
if the roads are jammed.
Sadly, something to protect yourself and your family.
First aid kit
Things to barter

Also a family plan and a meeting place if you a separated.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
What we bought. I think some models are water proff. I think this one is water resistant:
www.nitro-pak.com...

Solar powered AM/FM radio/flashlight/siren/weather band. Also can be hand cranked, regular batteries, plugged in the wall or car.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I pretty much try to keep about two weeks worth of food (one week of good stuff (like those meals in a box), one week of just survival stuff(like Ramen or Chef Boyardee, etc.)) as an emergency supply. Likewise, I keep sodas and bottled water for the same period. In addition, when the power dies, eat the stuff in the freezer and fridge first. I usually stock up on some meats, etc. right before a storm is to hit, to eat damn good for those first few days...
(and they cook great on the grill)

Don't forget too, your hot water heater holds quite a few gallons of water, so this is an idea also, if desperate. Fill up the tubs and sinks for more, before the storm hits. Use that water for sanitation needs.

I like to have a few bags of charcoal, and a few cans of Sterno also (you can get it at even grocery stores, but cheaper at discount stores, in the camping goods).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to have a "safe room" in the house (no or few windows, secure area, etc.) to hole up in, and have supplies handy in that room. If flooding, be sure to move those supplies up to higher ground also!

[edit on 2-9-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Can't find bottled water, fill your own containers with tap water and freeze.

Also if there's no water, but other juices and drinks left in the store, stock up on those, anything will be better than nothing.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
A Radio with Batteries – or preferably a portable battery powered tv. This way, you can keep track of the storm as power is likely to go at the worst time, when the storm is about to hit.

Great overall advice Gazrok.

Where do you get a portable battery powered tv?

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Questor]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My brothers friend said it took him and his family 12 hours to travel about 15 miles. They ended up turing back.

The best way for anyone to evacuate south of Houston is to take 517 or Dixie or something other than I-45, head west, try and catch HW6 and keep going further west. The storm will most likely strike just east of Houston so heading west is just as good as going north. I would also suggest people use 146 rather 45 if possible, as 146 is almost completly empty and then make your way up towards Lufkin.

My 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I got a bunch of bottled water (12 cases) because CNN said the hurricane would hit Austin a few days ago. Well now it isn't hitting here. Does anyone know how long bottled water is good for? I want to keep it on-hand, but don't know how long I can keep it for.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by eeper69
I got a bunch of bottled water (12 cases) because CNN said the hurricane would hit Austin a few days ago. Well now it isn't hitting here. Does anyone know how long bottled water is good for? I want to keep it on-hand, but don't know how long I can keep it for.

I doubt your water will spoil but it may not taste as good as freshly bottled water does, it absorbs some of the flavor from the plastic in the bottle.
Rotate your stock. Drink a case then replace it. This should be done with most of your supplies. Use the older supplies and restock as used that way you can keep from having to trash supplies that may have gone bad. It also keeps you from having to rebuy all your supplies at one time. It would suck to find out in the time of need that all your vienna sausages and chef boyardee have gone bad.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Thanks. I got canned chicken and tuna instead so it wouldn't need heating. I was wondering why people were buying charcoal at the store. Now I know.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Also I didn't see anyone mention a decent first aid kit.
I keep basic otc meds as well, aspirin tylenol benedryl etc.
Take a first aid class as well.
On a side note. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a few prophylactics around as well. Long periods of boredom can lead to unexpected surprises.

You can keep them in the first aid kit along with a few feminine hygiene products too (maxi pads make great bandages on top of their intended use)

I agree with a small generator as well. Mine came in handy when Isabelle came though Va, as we were without power for 2 weeks. We managed to keep the neighbors basement from flooding by supplying power to his sump pump.

If you have a gas grill, make sure you have enough propane to fuel it, unfortunately when we were without power after Isabelle I realized I had enough to cook my dinner halfway. Luckily since I had the generator it wasn't a big deal.

[edit on 24/9/05 by Skibum]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Does anybody know what type of plywood is best to use for window protection?? 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch?? I want to make sure I get something
strong enough, but not too heavy to handle in an emergency situation.

We were caught off guard with Rita and were not able to get plywood.
Luckily it went to the East of us. I want to make sure we are prepared
for the next one. There will be a next one, maybe not this year, but the
Houston/Galveston will see a big one during these years of increased
hurricane activity.

Also, has anyone had successful/unsuccessful experience using the plylox (sp?) clips for securing plywood to windows?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This may be a helpful guide...

It takes about a 3/4" thick piece of plywood to provide close to the same protection as the Dade County-approved products, and that will make for a very heavy shutter. You can, of course, use thinner plywood, and IBHS recommends plywood over oriented strand board (OSB) because it takes 30% thicker OSB to equal the impact resistance of plywood. Recognize that the resistance to penetration by wind-borne debris is reduced in direct proportion to the thickness of the plywood. In other words, a 3/8" thick plywood shutter would be only about half as effective in resisting penetration as a 3/4" plywood shutter. IBHS recommends 5/8" thick plywood as a minimum unless you are having problems with handling the weight of the shutter

Also, bumping this for the impending storm of doom....

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Questor

Where do you get a portable battery powered tv?

Do you have a Brandsmart in your area? They have a COBY brand tv, which runs on 10 C size batteries for about $10.00. Weekends they usually have a special on it for $8.88. Limit 1 per family.

It works great btw even though its so damn cheap.

<< 1    3 >>

join