It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does China stand as any real military threat to the anglo- american world power?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
could anyone with any real information ellaborate on this subject i would be interested to know more about china's capabilities.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The chinese millitary is primarilly geared towards defence... the doctrine would have to be drastically changed.

I don't think China has any intetion of challenging western interests as of yet

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
nope not yet, China definitely wants to be a superpower and to change the balance of power, but they smart and are taking their time. they will confront anglo american power in the near future.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
correct me if im wrong but do you remember when an american spy plane was caught in chinese air space a few years back and president Bush had to publicly apologise about the intrusion?.... it makes me wonder wether the americans know someting about china's power and capabilities.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
China is powerfull enough that if the US and such attack them it will be a very hard time.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by joe public
correct me if im wrong but do you remember when an american spy plane was caught in chinese air space a few years back and president Bush had to publicly apologise about the intrusion?.... it makes me wonder wether the americans know someting about china's power and capabilities.

if i remember correctly China return the prisoners, i guess they couldnt keep them for information from interrogation. i wonder why they couldnt keep them i mean the U.S. government aint gonna go to war over a couple of prisoners and China knows that, so they should have kept them.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
China is powerfull enough that if the US and such attack them it will be a very hard time.

sure it will be a very hard time but we still win
. China aint powerful enough yet, why they aint even invading Taiwan is still a question that goes on my head but in any case they aint hard to deal with right now.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i have read that they have over a million soldiers, is this confirmed?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
2.3 million regular soldiers which includes 400,000 special forces

there is also a reserve of 1.5 million armed police

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by joe public
i have read that they have over a million soldiers, is this confirmed?

yeah they have a million man army but they are cutting it down to make it more like quality over quantity theory. but most are still conscripts and they could have as many as 350 million man army.

www.cia.gov...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
As far as I know there are no conscripts in the PLA...

In fact competition is very high to get in and they are now looking more towards college graduates

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
there is a saying that....." when china wakes up, the whole world will tremble"

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Napoleon Bonapart said that.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well, i wouldn't worry about their airforce (while they do have a large airforce, most of their aircraft suck, + they steal pretty much all their tech from people), their navy, i won't worry abou it, i said a 3 US carrier battle groups can take care of china's entire navy. their ground force... well i won't worry about it either cause they don't have any borders with any western countries + our airforce can destory most of their tanks and ground forces before we sent in any boots on the ground.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
Well, i wouldn't worry about their airforce (while they do have a large airforce, most of their aircraft suck, + they steal pretty much all their tech from people), their navy, i won't worry abou it, i said a 3 US carrier battle groups can take care of china's entire navy. their ground force... well i won't worry about it either cause they don't have any borders with any western countries + our airforce can destory most of their tanks and ground forces before we sent in any boots on the ground.

well , based upon your theory that just leaves there nukes with multi megatonne war heads and 100+ delivery systems to mainland usa , oh and there mirv capable as well.

going to worry about them?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
when any country has nukes.. they are a threat.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
when any country has nukes.. they are a threat.

We have nukes - so does that make us a threat?

define `a threat`- a threat to who?

*The American way of life*?

yes , very much maybe , but think of this - don`t you think that maybe there are other countries who are scarred sh*tless that a stars and stripes covered missile is gonna land on them and they start looking at the fire in the sky?

All because its the USA who have the nukes and they perceive us as the threat in the world?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
As far as I know there are no conscripts in the PLA...

In fact competition is very high to get in and they are now looking more towards college graduates

18-22 years of age for compulsory military service, with 24-month service obligation; no minimum age for voluntary service; 17 years of age for women who meet requirements for specific military jobs (2004)

there is still conscript in the military it depends on how many. they go in and get out back to civilian life after being taught in military ways.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Conscription is in the national doctrine but it is not enforced.

In theory anyone could be drafted into the PLA... but since the 1980's when less than 10% of elegible conscrpits were actually employed... it has faded away.

Today although still technically viable, it is not fundamental part of the PLA structure anymore

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
China has been threatening US, AUS and Japan, while taking land or rather ocean from smaller se asian countries.

The Chinese leaders seem to be pushing their medium framed bodies around more than they used to in the past couple years, makes me wonder if their growing power is starting to give them neapolian syndrome aka little man syndrome.

What was that killed French's Grand Armie? supply.

Its great having a Huge army there are big problems with that:

A. the bigger the army the greater amount of supplies at are needed to maintain that force, its great to have a 10 men but if its 10 men pure rifle with only five rounds in the rifle it does no good.

B. troop movements are easy to spot with a huge army, no way to hide the supply train and the troops.

C. the cost is huge how much would it cost china to man that 350 million man army?

d. the civilians suffer when countries field huge armies

D. there is no surprises when you field a massiave army if fact if they try to squeeze 200 million into taiwan there would be friendly fire deaths and weight of the crush of bodies would slow down the force making them easy targets.

e. the army matches on its stomuch what happens when the food runs out or the supplies have to be flown in? Starvation and desiese spread ask any ww1 vet what that is like.

the us would use a lot of robots and uavs to counter the mass troop,s thats what metal storm was designed to defeat, large infantry based armies aka china and nk.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join