It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live 8 (LiveAid2) Lineup Announced (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The most ambitious charity event ever devised, Live 8, has announced its lineup today. The charity concert will take place in 5 countries simultaneously and attract an estimated 2 billion audience. The concert aims to spread awareness about African poverty and show the G8 meeting in Gleneagles, Scotland, how much support their debt relief plan has.

uk.news.yahoo.com
Live 8 Line-Up Announced

Sir Bob Geldof has announced the line-up for his Live 8 concerts - and the Spice Girls are definitely not on the list.But details are still being finalised for the five concerts - and Victoria Beckham's spokesman said "a number of conversations had taken place and are continuing to take place about the Spice Girls".Live 8 organisers said the Spice Girls would be welcome to play if they were to re-form.

London line-up

* Mariah Carey
* Coldplay
* The Cure
* Dido
* Keane
* The Killers
* Elton John
* Bob Geldof
* Annie Lennox
* Paul McCartney
* Madonna
* Muse
* Razorlight
* R.E.M.
* Scissor Sisters
* Snow Patrol
* Stereophonics
* Sting
* Snoop Dogg
* Joss Stone
* Robbie Williams
* U2
* Velvet Revolver

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow. That line up is pretty impressive. You'd think that 20 years down the line that these kind of events wouldnt be able to replicate the achievements of LiveAid.

There is also an estimated 1 million stong march in Scotland to show support for the debt write-off plans for African countries.

With so much negativity abounding its heartening to see that some people with clout also have good hearts.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It's always hear to hear some good news

Yeah it's not thier responsibility, but if all these celebs and many more would give money, I mean like alot of money....they would have enough to make a HUGE Impact on the African education Infrastructure, poverty, AIDS, the list goes on. They could do it, if they wanted to.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

A contributor voting NO on your submission: (submission) (news) Live 8 (LiveAid2) Lineup Announced has indicated they did so because they feel your story may be too biased for ATSNN.

LMFAO, there should be an IQ test before allowing some people to vote here on ATSNN. What is biased in this article? How can you be negatively biased with regards to debt relief for Africans?

I've said it once and i'll say it again, some accountability has to be made for the voting process on ATSNN. Some people dont have a clue and I think they should be told so.

Even if every ATSNN user is assigned a 'voter id' and that is quoted in the U2U you get. Atleast that way you can see whether the same 'voter id's' are repeatedly voting spuriously. You could also quote the 'voter id' and send them to moderators if they continually vote incorrectly. Click on their voter id and see how they vote. A long list of "No: Bias" and on what stories could easily show some one up that is trying to censor these boards. I've sent gripe/help suggestions on a few occasions but to no avail.

Some accountabilty please

[edit on 1/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It's good that these celebrities are lining up for charity work. But, writing off African debts would only mean more money in the pockets of African dictators. More effective IMO, would be giving money to field organizations like Red Cross.

The charity concert will take place in 5 countries simultaneously and attract an estimated 2 billion audience.

Where do media people come out with such statistics? 2 billion people is a third of the world population. I would not expect, a third of people to see the concert in the countries they are hosted in. And in no case will a third of people in Asia, Africa and South America be interested in a concert in languages they hardly understand or use as a second language.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yeah I thought a 1/4 of the Worlds population has no access to electricity.

That would mean that, of the people who have access to electricity, 40% of them would be watching Live 8. I find this hard to believe as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Some accountabilty please

Well - Clearly you were just way out of line with your enthusiasm....

I think we've all pleaded that case subz....But regardless of the irrational “no” votes, good submissions will still get voted in….I’ve said it before – We have a plain and simple “yes” button…We need a plain and simple “no” button, so those who don’t agree it’s ATSNN quality but have no beef with the “no” options can make their voice heard without raising the blood pressure of the submitter with “No – It’s bias” or “No – Your grammar blows” when in fact the person just randomly chose one b/c they had nothing else to choose from….

Anways....What a great show of humanitarianism on the part of those artists though
I doubt I'll watch it, but it sounds like fun....

new topics

top topics

join