It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: White Powder Mailed To Indonesian Embassy In Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
The Australian PM, John Howard, has confirmed that the white powder mailed to the Indonesian Embassy in Canberra contained a bacterial agent. The bacteria has been identified as belonging to the bacillus family which includes anthrax. It is widely viewed that this incident is in response to the Schapelle Corby drug smuggling case.

au.news.yahoo.com
The biological agent sent to the Indonesian Embassy in Canberra contained a bacteria, Prime Minister John Howard said.

Mr Howard said he had been told the substance was a bacteria belonging to the bacillus group.

"It's still being tested ... it's not an innocent white powder, it's some kind of biological agent," Mr Howard told the Nine Network.

"I'm not a scientist but they say it belongs to the bacillus group and is being tested.

"At this stage I can't tell you any more than that."

The bacillus group includes various forms of bacteria, one of which is the causative agent of anthrax.

The embassy in Canberra was shut down and its staff isolated after the envelope arrived there on Wednesday.

Mr Howard said he was staggered by the incident.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I assume anthrax is not something easily to obtain. I want to know how they expect the average Australian to obtain this biological agent. If it is in response to the Schapelle Corby case you would expect them to be irrate average Australians, not terrorists.

I think its a little too convientient that some anthrax like powder gets sent to the Indonesian Embassy when Mr. Howard is trying to ram draconian laws through parliament involving illegal immigrants. Will they be blamed for this attack? After all, terrorists are suspected to enter Australia illegally and they would assumedly be the only people with access to anthrax.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Heres a relvant.
thread

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It appears the powder was harmless, but officials are bracing for protests and/or retaliation from Indonesians over the incident.

CANBERRA/JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia will send police to Australia to help investigate biological powder sent to the Indonesian embassy as the two nations on Thursday vowed to minimise the diplomatic fallout from the security scare.

The powder, which police believe is harmless, was posted to Indonesia's Ambassador to Australia Imron Cotan in what was described by media in both nations as an act of terror and by Australian Prime Minister John Howard as a "reckless, evil act."

Howard warned of possible retaliation against Australia as public emotions rose in both nations over the scare and the jailing of Australian Schapelle Corby on drug smuggling in Bali, which authorities believe sparked the embassy threat.

ABC News

join