It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westminster Abbey Denies Access For 'Da Vinci Code' Filming (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The producers of the 'Da Vinci Code' movie have been denied access to film in Westminster Abbey in London. In a statement released today the Abbey said "Although a real page turner, 'The Da Vinci code' is theologically unsound and we cannot commend or endorse the contentious and wayward religious and historic suggestions made in the book -- nor its views of Christianity and the New Testament. It would therefore be inappropriate to film scenes from the book here."

news.yahoo.com
LONDON (Reuters) - Producers of the upcoming movie based on the blockbuster novel "The Da Vinci Code" were not allowed to film in Britain's Westminster Abbey after church officials denounced the book as "theologically unsound."

The 940-year-old London Abbey, where British monarchs are crowned, features in the international murder mystery by U.S. author Dan Brown which has been condemned by the Vatican and Anglican Church leaders for distorting the Christian message.

The novel alleges Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children, whereas Christians are taught that Christ never married and was childless when he was crucified.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A shame that Westminster views this book as such a threat that it gives more publicity to it. The Da Vinci Code was a great read and whilst provocative in its content and dubious in some areas, it did have some merrit.

Westminster can be recreated digitally and im sure the movies budget can withstand it. Assuming getting Tom Hanks as the lead actor didnt break the bank

[edit on 1/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
You have to see why Westminster didnt allow it to be used...obviously its highly political....and they dont want a part of it...no matter...the book...with Hanks...will be an awesome movie...just started reading Angels and Demons this week...and so far...so good...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Angels and Demons is good, not in the same league as Da Vinci Code, but a good read nonetheless.

I would recommend his other two books as well. Digital Fortress is better than Angels and Demons in my opinion, so is Deception Point.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Do they think the Abbey will be left out of the movie if they don't film there -- heck if they can recreate the Coliseum for Gladiator they can make a set and use digital skills to recreate the Abbey. And most people won't question that it is the real thing either. I think it is hysterical that people are getting in such an uproar about this book -- it is a work of fiction -- he is using ideas that have been out there forever and put them in a great page turning book. It is great if it gets people to think about if it is a possibility because at least they are thinking -- but the book is fiction.

I don't remember that even (oh heck - I hope I get the name right it has been a long time) "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" had such an uproar and that was presented as fact.

I can't wait for the movie -- just to see if they can do it in a way that will do the book justice. I usually hate seeing movies after reading the books because they never live up to the book.

top topics

join