It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embassy under bacterial attack

page: 1

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:17 AM
THE biological agent sent to the Indonesian embassy in Canberra contained a bacteria related to anthrax

The embassy in Canberra was shut down and its staff isolated after the envelope arrived.

The incident followed death threats made last month to the Indonesian embassy in Canberra, and the sending of bullets to the Indonesian consulate in Perth in April.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:23 AM
This stuff goes on all the time. To all nations embassies, especially US embassies overseas.

It really is sad that people target embassies, most of the people that work in embassies are people of the local nation, not citizens of whatever country the embassy represents.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:44 AM
Yes you are right innocent people are the ones who get hurt

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:52 AM
Hmm, this part stuck out...Ive heard of this type of bio agent can be made almost anywhere by anyone with an ounce of sense.

"It's still being tested ... it's not an innocent white powder, it's some kind of biological agent,"

they say it belongs to the bacillus group and is being tested

There are many forms of bacillus,

Bacillus represents a genus of Gram-positive bacteria which are ubiquitous in nature (soil, water, and airborne dust). Some species are natural flora in the human intestines. When grown on blood agar, Bacillus produces large, spreading, gray-white colonies with irregular margins. A unique characteristic of this bacterium is its ability to produce endospores when environmental conditions are stressful. The only other known spore-producing bacterium is Clostridium. Although most species of Bacillus are harmless saprophytes, two species are considered medically significant: B.anthracis and B. cereus.

Link for more info

Bio agents....sad that people will stoop down this low.

[edit on 1/6/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:02 AM
Ouch where would people get this stuff ..surely this kept under lock & key & accounted for

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Sth Hemisphere
Ouch where would people get this stuff ..surely this kept under lock & key & accounted for

It can be made pretty much anywhere

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:27 AM
The idiots who've done this have just made Corby's life harder as in this won't reflect well during her appeal.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:48 AM
The thing that's setting off my warning signal is the fact that the media and the government are putting words in our mouths. They've decided already that this is about Corby and that it's done by Corby sympathizers yet they've made it very clear that it's not going to help but only make things worse.
They are being very vocal and clear with their message and it's just reaking of propaganda.

They come out with the words and we'll all start repeating them.
We don't know what the sample is, we don't know who did it and we don't know why but the government and the media are SURE they know who and why.

I'm just being cautiously skeptic about this because when they put words in our mouth, it's for the very reason that we'll put logic and forsight aside and roll with their outrage. This leads to worse scenarios.

I think the whole Corby issue is actually to mask a drug trafficking problem within Australia's airports which could lead to anywhere and anyone. Why isn't this an issue when it's been admitted too? She's an easy attention diverter from a real problem. A minor fake Terrorist reminder is a perfect deflection.

Are Australian's really this outraged by Corby? I don't think so. I think they are pissed off and annoyed but not outraged enough to warrent mindless Terror attacks.

If you know how to harvest a biological attack, your smart enough to realise that it's NOT going to help free someone from prison. That's ridiculous.

It will be interesting to see who they bring in for this or if it stays 'anonymous'.

We can be sure thou that they've just bought a few more weeks of Corby headlines and delegating our Airport problem (among many other issues right now) to the back pages.

I don't think it will be found to be anything more than a small scare with little intention of harm. It could very well be a revenge manuvour but the way the media and government have pre-empted any actual investigation is a worry of how their minds are working.

Feels like Australia is steping up it's work in the drum up for support on fighting Terrorism. If not setting up their own scares, they are definitly running with them in a very dominant way, not allowing the public to come to it's own conclusions with actual evidence.

[edit on 1-6-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:29 AM

Originally posted by D
The idiots who've done this have just made Corby's life harder as in this won't reflect well during her appeal.

Right there is the possible motive. A month or so ago, the same embassy was sent a letter in an envelope containing 2 rounds of ammunition. A supposed threat to the embassy in relation to Corby's incarceration.

Now if this isn't some opportunitic stunt by those who wish to frame Australians in an attempt to make Corby's appeal more difficult (which it could very well be, and does very well look like), it stinks of drug running thugs using the only means they know to "get back" at Indonesia.

Either way it stinks. I don't know what to believe. I think the Indonesian judicial system is a bit of a farce. Also given that one of the Bali bombers only got about 13 months for killing 202 people (his crime pre-dated the terrorism legislation I think) and some girl gets nabbed with 4.1 kg of dope and gets 20 years. But you have to realise the reasons why they have such heavy drug penalties. The Golden Triangle is rife with the drug trade. They have to send a message I guess. This particular case just seems extremely harsh. But you must also consider that this girl is lucky to get away with her life, and by that I also mean her life AFTER she has served her heavily reduced 20 year sentence down from LIFE imprisonment.

Nobody would give a crap if it was some scrawny Vietnamese-Australian sentenced to death by firing squad for importing drugs. That's what also pisses me off about this whole thing. The media has been a total disgrace in dealing with this whole affair.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:59 AM
It's possible that the 'bacteria' sent to the Indonesian Embassy might just be Bacillus thuringiensis, an increasingly popular insecticide.

Or maybe a well known biological tracer such as Bacillus globigii (Bacillus subtili var niger), often used in the water industry or health environments to trace water or air flows.

Colin Powell held up a vial of Bg during his UN briefing on Iraqs alleged WMD programme.

zero lift

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:31 AM

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis
The thing that's setting off my warning signal is the fact that the media and the government are putting words in our mouths.
They are being very vocal and clear with their message and it's just reaking of propaganda.

I don't think it will be found to be anything more than a small scare with little intention of harm.

I said the other day that this will turn out to be nothing.
Now the government is getting questioned about over reacting to it in the first place.
I believe this was staged, it was never meant to harm but to only scare.
The reason this stood out as a fraud was because the government and media jumped all over it without any proof or reasoning. They made it out to be a big threat, threw the 'Terrorist' word around, reminded us of the deaths due to the American Anthrax scare (which was an inside job remember).

You have to remember that Australia isn't as big as America, we aren't as divided and we aren't as patriotic to our government. These are smaller scale versions of CIA style propaganda and disinformation.

I've been waiting for something like this to happen, i expect more in the future.

Here's a few interesting quotes from the latest update on this stunt:

"Prime Minister John Howard has denied the government over-reacted in its handling of the biological scare at the Indonesian embassy in Canberra.

The embassy is set to reopen, with final testing on a white powder sent to the building expected to confirm it was not toxic."

"Mr Howard said he could not rule out a similar biological scare happening again in Australia.

"You've got crazy people in this country who will do irresponsible things," he said.

"We shouldn't be so indifferent to the possibility of this kind of thing happening in the future, it could, I hope it doesn't, but I can't guarantee that people won't behave in an irresponsible way."

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:42 AM
And just so we don't instantly think the government was behind the 'scare' in order to piss off indonesia, keep Corby in the headlines and continue to bury the real drama - the drug trafficking problem with our airline security - they sent a sealed package of white powder to themselves.

The media keep referencing the US Anthrax 'scare' in regards to this which was an inside job, yet they refer to it without mentioning that part of course, they don't talk about the research that went into the Anthrax scare, they just remind us of that 'attack' on America.

This is all staged. Howard is a NWO member, he's publicly mentioned it before and Australia is ever increasing following US footsteps.

"Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, the target of a suspicious package containing white powder, has described the incident as deplorable and possibly criminal.

Mr Downer is caught up in the second major security scare in Canberra this week after a parcel addressed to him containing a sealed plastic bag of white powder was intercepted at the Parliament House mail room on Friday morning."

"There is no evidence at this stage that links the two, however there is an ongoing investigation," Sgt Cook told reporters."

Expect nothing to come of these cases. They are scare tatics, not legit threats. Expect a big drum up for the 'War on Terror' instead.

new topics

top topics