It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan's F1-X Stealth fighter designs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I don't know I still feel that the Gripen, Eurofighter and Rafale still have a chance, they be built in Japan, have room for growth and on the most part are already in squadron service. You can't get it any more off the shelf than that.

I would ten to agree with you on this point. only one thing that i could add to it. the F-22 is currently being shipped out to a number of bases in its final version A production state. I'm not saying though that this changes the fact of it being able to be produced in china though due to the previously stated reasons. My gut feeling is that if the went with a european fighter it would be the Gripen.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Greetings,

I would have to agree, the Gripen, is the only version, bar maybe the French Rafale that was designed with Martime Patrol and Strike from the start, with Japan looking at defending itself from a possible threat from China, I feel that the Gripen would be the better choice that the Eurofighter or Rafale.

As for the F/A-18 I don't see it as an option mainly because it is coming to a point where what ever could be done to it, has been done to it, and with the avaliable of newer aircraft at the same price tag I feel that they would go for the newer aircraft.

Plus I think that depending on the US for all of your military needs and procument is a mistake, an old saying "Never put all your eyes in one basket"

- Phil

[edit on 3-6-2005 by gooseuk]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The only thing with the Gripen though is it is very small and single engined, while Japan is specifically looking for an F-4 replacement. With this in mind I would naturally prefer to see them buy the Typhoon which is more capable than the Rafale by quite a margin) however this almost never comes into play with these things and I can't see Japan buying any European solution. Thats why I believe that the choice for japan is basically either wait a bit longer for the F-35 or buy a relatively inferior or out of date(F-15) solution.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I can see the rising sun already painted on the wings and fuselage of an F/A-18E, which I forgot to include in my first post.

[edit on 3-6-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It looks really cool, and I just wonder wath the top-speed would have been...

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
The only thing with the Gripen though is it is very small and single engined, while Japan is specifically looking for an F-4 replacement. With this in mind I would naturally prefer to see them buy the Typhoon which is more capable than the Rafale by quite a margin) however this almost never comes into play with these things and I can't see Japan buying any European solution. Thats why I believe that the choice for japan is basically either wait a bit longer for the F-35 or buy a relatively inferior or out of date(F-15) solution.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I can see the rising sun already painted on the wings and fuselage of an F/A-18E, which I forgot to include in my first post.

[edit on 3-6-2005 by waynos]

Greetings,

I understand how you mean about the F-4 replacement, although I would have to note that newer aircraft that have replaced some of the F-4s roles in USAF service have been fitted with only 1 engine, a prime example of that is the F-16 in SEAD roles, some thing that it took over from the F-4G Wild Weasels.

The Typhoon is the better of the 3 current european options, but I still feel that with the lower costs with the Gripen and the Martime Strike ability that it is still a possible choice, I admit that the F/A-18 would be a possible choice for them, either outright sales or as lease until the JSF enters full production.

But like I said, Don't put all your eggs in one basket, plus you never know what will happen.

- Phil

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So we are all pretty much agreeing that the JSF is out hte running now ? my problem that i can see them having is that if they buy one of the European stated planes is that are they still going to buy some JSF to complement the other plane, seeing as they still are in the JSF program and providing funding for it. it seems stupid to fund something you will never use or eventually buy.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The JSF is comparable in my opinion to the A-4, its a bomb truck, rather than the fighters that the European aircraft where designed for from the start.

- Phil

[edit on 3-6-2005 by gooseuk]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Yes, because the Patriot Missile system is so accurate, how could the North Koreans or China ever hit Japan with a missile. If it comes down to it, if North Korea wants to, it'll nuke Japan... after which North Korea will be destroyed.

Gooseuk, clearly you did not sense the sarcasm in this. I say its accurate and then claim that it's going to get hit by a missile. I dis-like that the internet can't always convey my sarcastic remarks properly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join