It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nintendo Revolution and its games: just the facts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
here is a thread dedicated to Nintendo Revolution and its games...

please post FACTS and NOT rumors about these things...

i will start and you can add what you want...

this will help Nintendo Revolution fans get the facts about this next-generation system...

FACTS:

cube.ign.com...

May 19, 2005 - Some people can take part in a revolution, but how many can say that they actually touched one? We're feeling pretty lucky this afternoon as we write these impressions, for just an hour ago Nintendo of America granted us access to its Revolution. Following an interview with the company's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, we were ushered into a small room located in the closed-off upstairs section of its E3 booth. Hidden away in a room guarded by two muscle-bound security guards - we kid you not - were multiple powered-on demo units of Revolution, which Nintendo allowed us to touch, and yes, even caress. Based on our hands-on encounter with the machine, we can safely say that Revolution looks every bit as sleek and modern up-close as it does in photos.

A grand total of six Revolution consoles were on display in the top-secret room. On one side, Nintendo spotlighted the platform in five different consoles, including green, silver, white, black and red. Meanwhile, in the middle of the room an additional black system was displayed on a well-lit podium, and it was this unit that we had the opportunity to pick up and examine.
On-hand representatives for Nintendo explained that the company is still determining possible colors for Revolution and that the hues of the units on display were by no means final. Still, finished or not, the color choices are already far superior to the toy-purple that the publisher chose to run with for GameCube. We were particularly drawn to the glossy black and white Revolution units. The white Revolution looks like an Apple product, which is just about the highest compliment we can pay an industrial design.

Depending on whether the Revolution is situated horizontally or vertically, its GameCube docking section is located beneath a flap on the right side or top of the unit respectively. The flap is easily raised to reveal four GameCube controller ports and two GameCube Memory Pak slots. This area is of course dedicated to the idea of backward compatibility. Revolution's new controller is likely to be dramatically different from anything we've seen before, and therefore Nintendo needed to include ports for the old pads so that new buyers could continue to enjoy old GameCube software.

Software designed specifically for Revolution will make use of its wireless controllers and therefore there are no other ports for such devices on the machine.

The Revolution's slot-loading drive is unbelievably gorgeous when viewed up close. It really is striking. The drive is not just illuminated, but surrounded by a sleek blue light, and it accepts both GameCube Optical Discs and new 12cm discs designed specifically for Revolution. The interesting bit is that the drive easily takes both sizes without any fuss. Gamers just drop any GCN or Revolution title in and it automatically works. Nintendo indicated that the drive is one of the first to intuitively do that. Power, reset and eject buttons are located on the front panel of the unit. Meanwhile, a flap on the front of the machine hides the slots for the 512MB memory cards that Revolution utilizes for downloads and game saves.

What about the back of the unit, though? Tech-nuts want to know, what kind of outputs does the machine have? Well, there are two USB ports and a power connection. The machine features no digital audio out. Instead, it boasts a single proprietary output for video and audio. The output looks exactly like the component out on GameCube. We asked Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto if Revolution would play high-definition games and he told us that he wasn't sure if he was allowed to say yet. Still, we expect a bare minimum of 480p support and likely 720p or 1080i, too, given that previous comments from Nintendo execs suggested that the platform would be able to hook up to a computer monitor.

There's also a port that beams 3D images directly onto the viewer's retinas. Revolution!

Just kidding, but that would be cool.

Still, 3D holographs or not, this is Nintendo's best-looking system to date and unlike GameCube, whose toy-like exterior seemed out of place in the living room, the Revolution will be right at home next to any type of high-end electronics.

MORE pics...

VIDEO: Nintendo president Satoru Iwata on Nintendo Revolution...

Q and A session: Absolutely everything we currently know about the successor to Nintendo's GameCube home console...

Nintendo Revolution's specs...

more articles...

ENJOY!!!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Just to say, this system looks excellent. It's usually just the games that hold their systems back.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
Just to say, this system looks excellent. It's usually just the games that hold their systems back.

yes...

and so does PS3

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It's hard to post the die-hard facts about this system. Nintendo keeps over-exagerating it's features and specs. Mabey to make it appear better than it actually is. I would over exaggerate it a bit if I was going against a PS3 and a XBOX 360. We know the potentency of those systems. This system could be their un-doing if they keep up with that hype.

Things we know:
Backwards Comaptible
Decent High-Speed RAM
Wi-Fi LAN
Good CPU (Mabey)

That's about it, that I find useful. The rest is either going to be accesories or not going to come around at all.

As for how it looks... I dont like it. They make it look pretty hardcore for a system that 5 year olds are going to put their peanut buttered fingers in the CD drive and pretend its a mix table. Play spin-offs of Mario until they get CTS, bleeding eyes, and break out into convulsions. I don't think due to the previous systems games, that it looking pretty is going to appeal to the older gamers that much that make up most of the gamer population in Canada and the USA.

But I can't say it a write off, it's packing quite some heat under that hood.

Solid facts on this thread, info that you are 100% sure of. Not the BS and rumours Nintendo and Co. are spreading.

[edit on 5/31/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
Solid facts on this thread, info that you are 100% sure of. Not the BS and rumours Nintendo and Co. are spreading.
[edit on 5/31/2005 by GoldEagle]

yupp...

this is what i hope to show people on this thread...

am i doing a good job

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

yes...

and so does PS3

I don't know if I understand your comment correctly, but do you mean that PS3 has a bad game selection, because I always that the quality of the games on the system was what made PS2 so great.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
? PS1/2/3 have bad games? I didn't know FF was bad, I didn't know the Maddens, the ESPN, the Tony Hawk, the DBZ, and all the other great games were bad.

Sure GC has 2d graphics, and looks sure unlike a PS2 it can be used as a paperweight, doorstop, and a baseball in case you hit yours into the neighbors yard and they won't give it back, but still, PS2 kills.

Now, for the Revolution, so far I have heard/seen nothing new. They make it so you have to hook the GC up to it??? WTF? Imagine having a PS1 hooked up to your PS2, and your PS2 hooked up to a PS3, making it the size of a small car.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Ok, thank you for contributing information.

So far I do know for games there will be something along the lines of Mario 128, Metriod Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. 3, something Zelda, and something with Donkey Kong.

Oh yeah and it's going to have an internet sevice called Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which is supposedly similar to X-Box Live.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Not to get anyone excited... but I was at my local video game store today, and there was a Nintendo Rep there answering questions about Nintendo-related things. The biggest thing was of course, The Revolution. If I knew she was gonna be there, I woulda brought my voice recorder.

I heard a lot of the same that was presented in this thread... but once interesting tidbit that I haven't heard on here, or any video game site yet.

The controller.

The question was something to the effect of "What will the controllers for the Revolution be like?" and she answered with...

(not EXACT quote, but close)
"The Revolution will be different than what the average gamer is used to. It will feature technology similar to the touch-screen used in the Nintendo DS. I can't say much, but I WILL tell you that it is totally wireless, and will make use of the touch-screen technology. I guess you can call it a "wireless, touch-screen controller" of sorts."

...and that's all she had to say about the controller. She then went on to talk about how you'll be able to access every Nintendo game ever via the online service, and she hinted that some of them may be free at first... sort of like a promo. But she NEVER said that. The way she talked about the service made it seem like that.

If anyone is interested to know what else I heard today, I'd be more than happy to either add it to this thread (I'm not sure if it's all FACT, but it did come from a Nintendo Rep's mouth) or make my own. She also made claim of a release date timeframe... but I won't get into that now

I can't wait for this console. It sounds great so far.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Don't get your hopes up too high, the fall is going to hurt. Half the stuff they say they are going to put in they won't. They did the same crap for N64 and GC. It's all hype to look big up to their superiors. Heck if I was Nintendo, I would stuff it up a bit too, PS3 and XBOX 360, like come on. They don't even have a finalized concept for the system yet. Just a whole bunch of stupid concepts, that look like a tricked out car. I total lost faith in them since the last system's hype. So don't get your hopes up too high.

Funny how they always say, "Wait and see", "Can't tell you much", and "It's a suprise". I doubt it's for the suspense factor, but to keep people with them and keep them wondering until the big dissapointment when it is released.

[edit on 6/1/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I don't know if I understand your comment correctly, but do you mean that PS3 has a bad game selection, because I always that the quality of the games on the system was what made PS2 so great.

"my bad"

you said:

"Just to say, this system looks excellent."

and i said:

"and so does PS3"...

sry if i mixed you up...

BTW BTSers...

THANKS for your additions of info

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
OH ok, yeah I had thought that I misunderstood you. I know you wanted facts and all, but can I ask about a rumor I heard about it being COMPLETELY wireless, even the online multiplayer? And any word about the controllers yet?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

And any word about the controllers yet?

I posted a little thing about it 3 posts above yours. Might wanna read it

I'm still trying to see if I can get more info from the people in the store.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I had heard that, I meant more in the means of actual pics of it though. I see alot of glitches in touch screen technology...I'd probably break mine after a few days of gameplay.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ya touch screen is very sensitive and breaks easy. Just ask anyone that owns a DS or PalmPilot. Especialy all those kids with their dirty fingers and disructive habits, they won't last long.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is in reference to an earlier post I made about the possibility of some game downloads being free...

originally posted on Slashdot.org
GamesRadar has the details from an interview with Nintendo of America VP George Harrison, in which he passes on the very good news that certain past-gen Nintendo titles will be free for download onto the Revolution. The article seems to imply that primarily the games available for free download will be Nintendo created titles. From the article: "This is a clever move by Nintendo: regardless of the final power of Revolution and the frequency of new titles, Nintendo knows that its loyal fans will cry tears of joy over a free service that lets them download previous Nintendo classics straight out of the box."

Slashdot Link: games.slashdot.org.../06/03/129259&tid=234&tid=10

GamesRadar Link: gamesradar.msn.co.uk...

This is looking to be good if Nintendo can pull this off with some GOOD games. If it's just old games that people really didn't care about... then I don't know. I hope Nintendo is smart with this... because it SOUNDS really good so far.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
maybe a new version of Duck Hunt where you could actually shoot that infuriating dog... oh the games that could be played! Castle Vania, Batman, The Legend of Zelda oh there is just so many! It's like i'm five all over again! teehee

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
HA! I got Duck Hunt on my NES, love it! Damn mutt.....

Castlevania was cool, ZELDA!!! Got it for my SNES, play it all the time!

Anyways, as said, Nintendo always hypes the product, "The GC will spew out 100 dollar bills whenever you beat a game, and then god will come down and give you immortality!" Reality? You beat the game, and you only had to waste 10 minutes on bad graphics to do it!

"The GC graphics will blow the PS2 and xbox out of the water!" Reality? Give me an etch a sketch, or a atari(have one! LOVE IT! Play it all the time, got pac man, barn stormer, defender, love it!!!!) since they have better graphics.

Although, a new version of duck hunt, that would be cool! And you can buy new guns, new ammo, and hell, have a choice of buying an original handgun or buy a new shotgun style thingy for it! That would be cool!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Duck hunt was classic. However James, I'm going to ask a favor, instead of constantly bashing Nintendo every step of the way I'm asking that you instead post actual facts on Revolution, not you bias against Nintendo.

Ok facts, facts, facts. Well heres some images;

Pretty sleek. Oh yes and according to a hands on report by IGN, when pluged in the disk drive does indeed glow blue, not just an image effect.

And also from that apparently gamecube disks and RS disks will go in the same slot. You can't see it in those pics because it's covered, but it will accept GC controllers and GC memory cards. However RS controllers will be wireless which makes me wonder.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
"And also from that apparently gamecube disks and RS disks will go in the same slot. You can't see it in those pics because it's covered, but it will accept GC controllers and GC memory cards. However RS controllers will be wireless which makes me wonder."

really!?!?!?

w0w...

this will save people money...

new topics

<<   2 >>

join