It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Blair Cracking Down on British 'Hoodies'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Britain has a new public enemy; the teenager in a hooded sweat shirt. Blair says rowdy public drunkenness, noisy neighbors, petty street crime, even graffiti and vandalism, are top priorities. He is enthusiastically backing an English shopping mall's ban on hoods, baseball caps and other headgear that obscure the face.

www.guardian.co.uk
Britain has a new public enemy - the teenager in a hooded sweat shirt.

Hoods, no longer just an adolescent fashion statement, lie at the center of a debate over what many, including Prime Minister Tony Blair, see as an alarming rise in bad behavior.
Blair says rowdy public drunkenness, noisy neighbors, petty street crime, even graffiti and vandalism - are top priorities. He is enthusiastically backing an English shopping mall's ban on hoods, baseball caps and other headgear that obscure the face.

"It is time to reclaim the streets for the decent majority,'' Blair told the House of Commons.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Last week, Doctors called for a ban on Kitchen knives, now Blair wants to ban teenagers that wear hooded sweat shirts, base ball hats.

What I want to know is what comes next, a ban on clothes???

Not that I would mind
I just find this series of bans rather funny.

On the serious side, I can see why they would want to ban them, so it is has a good side to it; although I am sure that Muslims, especially the female gender no doubt will be outraged over the ban.

[edit on 5/31/2005 by shots]

[edit on 5/31/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The beginning of culture control. Homoganize the the look, the emotions, the thinking of the populace. Issue uniforms, control the media, punish all who don't conform. "l984" a little late but here none the less.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It goes to show you how leaders are grasping at straws, and resorting to little Hegalian "problem-reaction-solution," scenarios. Maybe this is a relief since their fake terrorism doesn't jibe with the people, however it is still more of the same. Perhaps they are sharpening the tools of their craft with some "all politics are local," kinds of strategies. One little freedom at a time is going down the tubes, and well what if it is just plain cold and you want to wear a hood and you are "bloody 80 years old," and even knighted? Will the constable on patrol make your life a mess?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Once again, I find myself ANGRY.

This is obviously a measure to reduce the amount of squinting that security officials have to do while playing back videos taken from cameras in the U.K. that record, like, 95% of your public actions.

BAD.

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Crime in britain is going up, and i dont care what government statistics you use to prove otherwise.

The ban on hoods, by youths, in areas like shopping malls, are a good measure, seen as, those are where a lot of the crime commited by these kids is happening.

My whole point is that this crackdown on anti-social behaviour, and crime in general, is a good thing. So many people have got off so many charges, because of bueracracy, too many liberal judges, and the governments decision not to have built any more prisons since they were elected. The police have also had their hands tied, regarding policing, because of red tape, political correctness, charges of racism, etc etc!!

This is the way of a TOO liberal way of dealing with crime and policing.

So to all the FAR FAR TOOOOOOO LIBERAL!!! YOUR FAULT!!!!!!

Thats better, i can relax after having a # of day!!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This is bloody sad, banning hoodies???? Loads of my mates (and me) wear hoodies and whenever you walk into a shop with one on you always get the eye. (oh, and there not chav hoodies, nice black ones:lol

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I dont agree with this ban and you can rest assured the ban wont be a governmental ban. It wont pass through the Commons, its ridiculous.

The Bluewater(?) shopping center that banned hoodies is within its rights to do so, its a private property and can demand a dress code if it wishes. The government shouldnt legislate this though, its a gross violation of our rights.

What annoys me though is that muslim women are exempt from the Bluewater headwear ban. If some one wanted to cause trouble they could just wear a hejab! If you are going to discriminate on headgear you should at least be 100% ignorant.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I just hope you guys don't ban Blu Blockers. You're still gonna have criminals, they're just gonna be really dorky looking.

Zip

EDIT

[edit on 5/31/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It won't even get to Parliament, I can guarantee it.

I wear hooded tops, some rather nice ones to boot. I don't go round muggine/stealing/raping and the kids that do that wear hoodies would still do the crimes if they were wearing pink skirts and stockings, because they are twats.

This is not the way to go about it. Parenting is too blame, always has been and always will be. It makes me cringe when i am out and see the way some parents either let their kids behave, or the way they treat and talk to them.

Most of the "chavs" are from deprived areas, where the mum is to busy either having sex with black men so she can have her "brown baby" or scheming how she can get more benefits, rather than paying attention to what the rest of her tribe (best way to describe some of these familes) are up too.

Oh, for the non-Brits who don't know of chavs, here you go:

Wikipedia on Chavs...the mosted hated of all tosspots

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Oh man, I love it...

Sports or jogging trousers, often tucked into white sports socks, so as to show off the sports label on the socks which would otherwise be hidden.

Hah! Thanks for introducing me to a rad new term.

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The HOOD and CAP, i might add, are of course an item of clothing, fashion, that everyone should have the right to wear, and will continue doing so.

The main part of this article, is really talking about "YOBBISH" behaviour, carried out by youths wearing this attire.

The reason some places are banning such clothing, is because when they are commiting crimes, the "95%" of cameras watching there every move, cannot identify them, because of HOODS and CAPS. Thus preventing the police and crown prosecution, from being able to do much about convicting them. P.S. They also can look intimidating, with ther faces all hidden, to some people.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think the 'hoodie' has become the buzz word of the moment to exemplify all that we've come to see as dangerous and undesirable in British society at the moment. Banning hoodies is essentially an empty gesture and I doubt it can be enforced or even that they'll attempt to enforce it. The kind of scum that cause all the misery are now so confident in the laws inability to do anything that wearing or not wearing something to conceal their identity is rather irrelevent.

Shoot the buugers!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
lol educating Americans about chavs. I love it

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This nanny state is getting ridiculous, hoods/caps then kitchen knives.
What will be next shades because they cannot see your Iris?
John Prescott wants temperature gauges on taps so its a certain temperature coming out, so we don't burn ourselves, how kind and considerate. So if you want to heat up your bath you have a problem.

In a state in the US, a guy got charged $50 because his grass was 3 inches high.

Tony Parsons/Blair and all the other puppets are taking us closer to the abyss with a Brave New World / 1984. The method is ever so slowly turn the temperature up until the frog is cooked.
Love your government, war is peace, sieg heil.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yeah i do agree about the nanny state, and it is getting ridiculous!
But crime is going UP and we DO need to clamp down on the whole situation, in a big way, NOW!!!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
most crime is due to drugs right, ask yourself this then, how come countries are flooded with so many drugs?

How come theres tenfold increase in Afghanistan opium production?

The answer is simple drugs is big business, and on top of that it degenerates society and so they get more powers to clamp down.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
no ball caps or hoods. guess i wouldn't be wise to go to the uk on my vacations then. this is because in order that i don't suffer headachs from being outside i find a NEED to wear a baseball hat and sunglasses.

this law would be ludicres, to say the least. i admit that i find that a person wearing a hood can look a bit intimidateing. but hey it's realy no worse than someone wearing their pants down about their knees. (how the heck the keep them from falling down is a mystery
). it is NOT what someone wears that makes them a criminal. yet another case of treating a symtom and not the disese. a hood or a baseball hat might help conceal a persons face from a camera, but so what?. camera's are a poor replacement for a security gaurd, or a cop walking the beat.

might we dare speculate that it has possibly been the cameras being so invasive that have caused this "new fashon craze"? no teen especialy would be comfortable with "big brother" watching all the time. cause and effect are real things. i know that i for one don't like the idea of cameras watching my every move. also teenagers do like to do some rebelling, i am not saying that crime is ok. but pointing out that one way to rebell at being watched by cameras all the time, is to cover yourself up so you can not be easily identified.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hoodies do not intimidate those who are not intimidated by some chav in a hoodey. Push back if you are being pushed. If you are happy slapped, you need to angry slap. If you don't take what's yours, somebody else will.

(I used the word chav!!)

Zip

dh

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The crux of the matter is identification by surveillence cameras
None of this will matter by the year 2008, when compulsory ID cards (forget the 2013 date - that's all fernangle) read by GPS will give way to implanted chips read by the cellphone tower
The cameras will be obsolete as the timescale is reduced

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
With the cost of national I.D cards said to be anything up to £18 billion, as stated by the home office, several days ago, im wondering, when and if they will actually come into place. There is alot of hostillity towards them, from all political parties, and now with a reduced majority, the government may find it hard to implement these changes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join