It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

live 8 concert for African debt relief

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Live 8 producer wants Jackson.

HIP-hop impresario Russell Simmons, a co-producer of Saturday's Live 8 concert in Philadelphia, is still holding out hopes of getting Michael Jackson to perform at the show.

Simmons said he had no concerns that Jackson's recent acquittal on child molestation charges would overshadow the concert's mission of raising awareness about poverty in Africa.
"He was found not guilty," Simmons said. "The guy deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's the most newsworthy (performer). If he jumps on that stage, that'll mean a lot."

Article

I can see Bob Geldof and Midge Ure making frantic calls as we speak.

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I would have to say that I doubt jackson would be ready to perform this early since the trial but what a way to kick start his career and the ratings would be through the roof.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Another excellent must read concerning the debt of third world nations

The Debt Threat by Noreena Hertz

See her interviewed on Democracy Now!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning

Am reposting an interview with John Perkins who wrote Confessions of an Economic Hitman. This is a must read in order to understand the plight of the 3rd world and poverty...and the stranglehold the World Bank/IMF have on countries around the world.

John Perkins audio

John Perkins interviewed on Democracy Now! This is an excellent interview - lots of background to his life as an Economic Hitman.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This sounds like 1969 all over again. Instead of trying to stop a war with music, it seems as though today's musician have become more sensible and would rather stop the entire debt of a continent with music.

Did anyone catch that South Park episode with the hippy music festival? Hillarious I must say.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
You can watch the show live at music.channel.aol.com... or you see it on mtv.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
For those sceptics check this out:

London - Group of Eight (G8) finance ministers agreed on a deal for immediate 100 percent multilateral debt relief totalling $40-billion for 18 of the world's poorest countries, British Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown announced on Saturday.
Article

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Man the girl onstage in Paris is hot. she must have her picture next to the word sexxy in the dictionary.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
My name is on the live8 list..you can yours here

www.live8live.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Not surprising, but there are huge strings attached to this debt "foregiveness". I found a discussion forum as a result of reading Confessions of an Economic Hitman, in which John Perkins, the author participates. This is what he said about it:

PERSONAL MESSAGE from John Perkins

Dear Friends...

I wanted to share a few thoughts to address some of the questions that have been arising regarding the new round of Debt "Cancellation".

Let me start by saying I want to praise all attempts at debt forgiveness for developing countries. However, most of the 18 who are slated by the G8 for a $40 billion reduction have been forced to accept draconian measures in order to receive this "generosity." These measures include privatizing there energy and water sectors (selling them to US and other foreign companies), dropping subsidies to farmers and other businesses who might compete with ours, and dropping trade barriers -- at the same time, accepting that we will continue to subsidize our farmers and other businesses and to erect trade barriers.

I hate to be the messenger of bad news, but much of this debt forgiveness is a ploy to help once again help the rich get richer, while making it look like we are benefiting the poor. Another EHM strategy!

John Perkins

If you're interested in discussing the topic with other interested individuals, go Here.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I have 1 question. How does John know the details since they were only announced last week?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
where are the generous contrubutions from china, north korea, iran, and syria ?

aren't starving people in asia, s. america, and the US deserving of our attention ?

how many people will still care tuesday morning ?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
I have 1 question. How does John know the details since they were only announced last week?

He knows whereof he speaks because he was in the business of saddling those countries with debts that would be impossible to repay...see countries with natural resources (oil mostly) would be targetted for development by the U.S....huge loans would come from World Bank/IMF for infrastructure (which would only benefit the very few rich or corrupt in those countries and not the poor), however it was stipulated that the contracts go to U.S. corporations like Bechtel and Halliburton. When the countries eventually default, repayment is demanded in other ways...cooperation with military efforts or building bases, voting on side at the UN/WTO, unfettered drilling rights for oil, the people being obliged to plant genetically modified Monsanto seeds rather than being able to grow food to feed themselves. It a sad, sad tale that goes back many, many years. I tellya reading this man's book has changed my outlook on everything. You must read it! Watch that interview I posted and you'll understand just how he would know what the forgiveness terms would be.

So when you hear about countries giving aid or forgiving it always remember it doesn't help the poorest of the poor...that's why they continue to die everyday - 30,000 children die around the world every single day! So you know the money isn't going to help them. I am so ashamed that I give money and think I'm making a difference while I live like a queen compared to those people!

[edit on 2/7/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Rich nations to compensate lenders

The debt relief negotiations had been bogged down for months over which of two possible methods should be used to eliminate the debt. One approach, favored by Britain, was for the rich nations to take over responsibility for repaying the debts. The second method, favored by the United States, was for the loans to be written off entirely by the lenders.

In the end, Britain agreed to the American approach with a promise from the United States to provide additional money to the lenders to make up for the assets they were writing off, the Times said.

The second issue was whether to sell some of the International Monetary Fund's gold reserves to help pay off the loans owed to the fund, the Times said. The United States objected to any gold sales, saying it would drive down the price of gold on the open market, hurting, among others, American gold producers. The compromise was to draw, in part, on the proceeds earned by the monetary fund from sales of gold in the 1990's, according to the official.
Article

This is what I am seeing what are you seeing that is different than me that makes you think that debt relief is actually going to transfer utilities assets to lenders?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
is, as some of you have already elaborated, very much differently defined than poverty in Africa. Though we have political parties that would have us believe we have children starving and elderly making a choice between food and medicine, this is very largely exagerated for shock value.

How do I know? Well, I live in one of the most impoverished regions in the United States, Eastern KY. In fact I work for an agency who routinly deals with economic development such as elderly outreach, welfare counseling, and low income housing. While we do see a big gap in the standards of living between those above and below the poverty line, we do not see the extensive starvation evident in Africa..and most of the cases we do have aren't a product of lack of funds as much as the lack of parental responsibility with those funds..ie the trend of abuse of the drug Oxy Contin which is running rampant through our area.

Children do go hungry some times but its because their parents value the high they get from this and also crystal meth more than they do their children. People may want to blame the govt. for their perdicament but I don't know many people who could feed their kids while being addicted to this crap and its their fault and personal responsibility. No one elses.

In doing a needs assessment survey a couple years back of one of our most impoverished counties, I found that most elderly, own their own homes, have no trouble affording medication, and have income from at least one other source than social security. The people we found in need were the young. 16 -20 with one or more children. They had little to no education, no job because of that and most were habitual drug users.

When you all ask what drug use hurts, look no further than their children whom the same people will gripe over going hungry and blame anyone else but the parents. When we have a kid hungry in the US, you can bet that 99% of the time, there was money to buy food for it used to buy drugs.

You say I have no idea what I'm talking about? Oh, how would I? I just live right in the middle of it and work daily with those who try to make it better. How would my opinion from the front lines on this blight be more correct than someone with a political agenda?

I will also add that those who technically fall below the poverty line still have more than one TV, at least one automobile, phone service, and in some cases cellualr phone service and internet service. If they go without food, its because the desire for the high is greater than the desire to stop their hunger. It takes some kind of hypocrit to blame someone else for your kid's hunger when you just blew hundreds of dollars on drugs the night before. You don't need sympathy or free food, you need you rear thrown in jail.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Raise awareness? WHo here did not know that the continent of Africa was one gigantic dung heap before Saturday's festivities? What good does wiping debt away do anyway, it just diverts money meant for paying the debts to the dictators' pockets. These people need jobs, not the Bob Geldoffs who spit at mindless rhetoric.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
astrocreep, all that you just posted may be true. however, it's not the problem of the United States to go in and fix things. even if we give money/aide/food it's going to be taken by rebels or whatever we call them these days. if by some miracle it reaches the hungry, they'll be fed but they'll also be dead of aids in a few years.
i say we do nothing. just my harsh opinion.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001

This is what I am seeing what are you seeing that is different than me that makes you think that debt relief is actually going to transfer utilities assets to lenders?

Think about it. Do you really think they are going to spell out exactly what will be expected of these nations in return for the debt foregiveness? BTW, Associated Press is a cooperative owned by newspaper, television and radio. I tried to find out which ones and nada.

You'll never get the whole story from the mainstream media - ever.

If the loans were given with strings attached, you can bet the debt foregiveness has strings attached as well.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I have no problem with our government giving aid and money to Africa as long as its used right. However I am against it because I know its going to be like the US giving billions and the rest of the G8 giving only millions

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Stop giving aid money to Africa I repeat stop giving aid money to africa. Aid money is wasted on corrupt governments. We have to offer gudiance not $$ these people need to learn how to build chicken coops. We dont need to fund dont need bigger houses for Government employes.

Agreed.
If someone is hungry you dont give him food, you teach him how to hunt.

Useless Aid shows.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join