It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

live 8 concert for African debt relief

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
MaskedAvatar, you bring up a good point. I wonder if African performers were not asked to perform or if they did not volunter to perform. You would think that the promoters would want an African precense at all of the concerts. I am not talking about black americans or French I am talking about African musicians. Maybe they think African musicians don't make for good tv.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the African people who are starving but if i donated my money it would go into the coffers of the dictator who runs the country to buy him Western goods . Keep having rock stars appealing for help wont benefit anyone in Africa, only the ruling party. Rock stars like Geldoff , i don't think hes a star are just hypocrites who do it to make themselves famous, bet hes not given away his stash.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
I feel sorry for the African people who are starving but if i donated my money it would go into the coffers of the dictator who runs the country to buy him Western goods.

True, true. So then the next question what do we do about it???

Keep having rock stars appealing for help wont benefit anyone in Africa, only the ruling party. Rock stars like Geldoff , i don't think hes a star are just hypocrites who do it to make themselves famous, bet hes not given away his stash.

Has he had his hay day in fame. Yes. Is he hidding his money. Yes. in this materialistic world wouldn't you???

Why are all the artists doing it for free??? Now you could call it a conspiracy if they were told to do for africans but really it was setup by the banks to point the spotlight on politicians instead of the real criminals the bankers. In all honesty what are you going to do. Nothing. So really this whole Live 8 thing is just another entertainment program. You have all these top artists performing for Africa only to find that there are no african acts and the African people probly won't be able to watch it. Not to mention the clothes that most of these artists are wearing were more than likely made using 3rd world labor and as for the jewlery, imagine you got 50 cent on stage busin' his lyrics then you just happen to notice he's wearing a huge chain with a phat diamond on it now where's one of the biggest diamond mines in the world hmmmmm...... Africa. Funny that.

Like I said its a good idea but it won't work. Or rather most people don't realise whose actually controlling the diamond mines, oil among other natural resources. Its not the African government thats for sure or any government for that matter.

peace

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
When I heard about this I couldn't believe it.

The G8 itself.. could put more money in to Africa by cutting 0.01% of their defence budgets then any amount of any people could. Like how about instead of a concert.. we get all the youth that has nothing to do except work at Blockbuster or McMurder, and put together some sort of Peace Corps to go over there and DO SOME WORK fixing the place. Or even overthrowing some of the brutal dictators or something? Why not? Because throwing this concert is just a way for the ultra celebrity rich to feel not guilty about buying that new gulfstream 5 WHEN people are starving in Africa. THEY should be giving a collective portion of the pay checks to the country, then everything would be alright in the first place and we wouldn't need this concert. It just drives me nuts.

The concerts themselves are not bad.. its the attitude.. "We did something good here.. see you in another 25 years!"

I was wondering why the benifit concerts stopped. I was thinking about this just the other day.. I was talking to some friends of mine who are about 10 years younger then I am and they had no idea what "Live Aid" even was.. interesting eh?

I played some Paris (rap artist.. political) for another friend awhile ago.. and he was like "Wow.. political rap music.. never heard of that before." (in his defence, he's an idiot)

Anyways.. I was thinking "There use to be a time, when even the rap stars would get together and do a benifit album."

You guys remember Stop the Violence? Or the West Coast All Stars? Or the H.E.A.L. Project? (Ares these songs if you have never heard them before)

Why isn't this done anymore? In this day and age where half the music is almost cranked out by completely by computers and is mostly crap, it should be easy to raise money like this.

But it isn't done anymore. And that should tell you something. When the artists were running the show, they cared and it showed with projects like this. Now that the industry itself is running the show, it cares about money.

This Live 8 thing is a complete and utter joke. Its going to be a shadow of the 85 concert.

An empty soulless shadow.

[edit on 3/6/2005 by Vis Mega]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am surprised that more people have not posted a positive response to the live 8 agenda. It is way more than what anyone has done in years to help out a poor country. This time they are going straight to the problem and that is the debt that Africa got tricked into. Most people complain all day about the bad things going on in this world and when someone tries to make a differense the only response is that this is a fraud? I guess all of the liberals are too busy bashing bush to chime in and make a positive statement about this.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hunting Veritas

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
I feel sorry for the African people who are starving but if i donated my money it would go into the coffers of the dictator who runs the country...

True, true. So then the next question what do we do about it???

Unfortunately, the only way to rid a people of a dictator that has such a choke-hold on them that they don't even have the ability to rebel has not changed since ancient times -- a stronger country must remove the dictator for the people, and help them establish their own, just government.

But, we saw the US & UK remove Saddam Heussein in Iraq, and we all know how much criticism those two countries recieved. So, unless the national security of those two countries, or NATO, is affected, many of the smaller African countries that are suffering through suffocating dictators shouldn't expect any help, because the political ramifications would be too "severe".

If we are going to solve the problem, we have to start with the U.N. The United Nations must make a distinction between a democratic republic and a dictatorship, and have the former in good standing, with the latter banned from membership until they become a democracy. (Note: Communist nations should be members, but on probation.) Considering democracies and dictatorships morally equivalent forms of government in the U.N. is the source of the problem, and the source of the criticism when a dictator is removed.

Or, as my father once put it, "If the U.N. as it exists now had been around in 1945, it would have criticized the Allies for removing Adolf Hitler from Germany, and claimed that the Nazis had a right to their 'cultural identity' as a global minority."

I see his point.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
There also comes a point in time when these people must help themselves. I know, it is a scary thought to most that these people have the ability to do something about there own situation, but the fact is they are too stupid to know any better. A better idea would be to tell them that they could unite somehow, overthrow the corrupt dictatorships and install some sort of democratic, federated state with a constitution outlining the governments' powers. I know it sounds radical, crazy, and new, but I have heard of this procedure taking place before. Just give me a minute to think about where I remember it from...

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
A better idea would be to tell them that they could unite somehow, overthrow the corrupt dictatorships and install some sort of democratic, federated state with a constitution outlining the governments' powers. I know it sounds radical, crazy, and new, but I have heard of this procedure taking place before. Just give me a minute to think about where I remember it from...

The Vulcans?
Well, Vulcan was a peaceful planet after the Romulans left the planet entirely, anyway...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
[Hello ,

I thought you guys would be interested in this article.........Very interesting !

www.illuminati-news.com...

Cheers
Mason Basher

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
That is going to take a while to digest. What do you suppose the nwo plans to achieve with these concerts, brainwashing? But for what?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
That is going to take a while to digest. What do you suppose the nwo plans to achieve with these concerts, brainwashing? But for what?

well I guess we are trying to get the politicians to release the debt(s) but the politicians do not loan the money. We are protesting at a smoke screen for it is the bank(s) as corporate entities that can release or change debt(s).

The Fed is a organizasion NOT owned by the government but private investors.

Same goes for the Bank of England. NOT owned by the government.

The centre for all these banks is "The B.I.S" The bank of international setlements. I think we have to take it up with these guys to get the debts changed??

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Under the deal, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the African Development Fund will immediately write off 100% of the money owed to them by 18 countries - a total of $40bn (£22bn; 33bn euros).
Above Top Secret Link.

Well it looks like it happened. Maybe the announcement had an effect after all.

dh

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mason Basher
[Hello ,

I thought you guys would be interested in this article.........Very interesting !

www.illuminati-news.com...

Cheers
Mason Basher

Just the stuff we need to know, Mason Basher
It's more or less like the concert sites and the symbolism become a celebration of the genocide, and the drought generation and the manipulated wars for resource-rich territories
Bob looks ever more like he's got flies embedded in his hair-warp persona - an embodiment of the controlled living dead unlike the more conscious Bono who pays lip-service always signifying by way of his shades
This is a most disasterous rock star cover up of the real situation and one which leads one to be dissuaded from appearing in Edinburgh or near Gleneagles at all

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

LONDON - Four members of seminal British rock band Pink Floyd will play together for the first time in 24 years at London's Live 8 charity concert for Africa on July 2, publicists for the event said on Sunday.

advertisement
Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright will be on stage with bassist Roger Waters for their first public performance since they played at London's Earls Court in 1981.

Yeah, no matter what you think o fthe reason for the show pink floyd getting together even if it is one show is good news.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

LONDON - Four members of seminal British rock band Pink Floyd will play together for the first time in 24 years at London's Live 8 charity concert for Africa on July 2, publicists for the event said on Sunday.

advertisement
Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright will be on stage with bassist Roger Waters for their first public performance since they played at London's Earls Court in 1981.

Yeah, no matter what you think o fthe reason for the show pink floyd getting together even if it is one show is good news.

AMEN to that my man.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Looks like they heard the complants about no african musicians playing at the concerts.

African musicians will stage Africa Calling, a concert at the Eden Project Arena in Cornwall, England, on July 2nd to coincide with Live 8, the concert series organized by Live Aid creator Bob Geldof. The shows are being staged to urge citizens to call on the leaders of the world's eight most powerful nations -- the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany, Italy, France, Russia and Japan -- to take action during the G8 Africa Summit on July 6th to eliminate extreme poverty on the continent.

In response to the criticism that the Live 8 lineups were lacked participants from the very countries the event is intended to benefit, Africa Calling host Peter Gabriel told Sky TV, "Bob's sole criteria is that he has to keep millions of eyes around the world glued to the television, and he felt . . . if it was an unknown artist . . . people might switch off."
article

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I read a few months ago in the 'Daily Mail', about the subject of Africa and all their problems, that made the opinion and view that it could be a good idea to re-colonise Africa. And mentioned that back then things weren't anywhere as bad as now, with corrupt, dictators destroying their countries and killing millions of people.

Now i'm not saying that it wasn't bad back then, because we all know different. There was alot of atrocities carried by the old empire's. But in my opinion, they need help and assistance to govern their countries, in a correct way.

I know alot of people will, to directly help govern their countries, say,that, that is a form of re-colonise of Africa to directly assist in govern, and ultimately control the individule countries of Africa.

But, there is a big chance that they could do a better job, than those dictators now. I don't think people would go for the idea (too much history) and politics, but, BIG THINKING is needed on issues this serious such as Africa. Food for thought!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is just so these wealthy people can fee good about themselves. That they are doing something and making a difference so they can take their limos home and sleep well.

The organizers are not allowing Ebay to allow anyone to sell tickets on there EVEN THOUGH EBAY OFFERED TO GIVE THE PROCEEDS TO THE CHARITY ORGANIZAION!

wired.com...

How stupid is that? They already got the money once when the first person bought the ticket, now they have the opportunity to make more money for "the cause" but are trying to take some moral highground.

Hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Looks like they heard the complants about no african musicians playing at the concerts.

Nice find
. Well, they listened and they acted.

I also found this:
3 more gigs

Bob Geldof is set to announce three more Live 8 concerts, including one to be held in Africa.
Live 8 Africa will take place in Johannesburg, while concerts will also be staged in Tokyo and Toronto.

three more. Looks like its going to be a huge day!

No doubt this day will go down in history. Lets hope it need not be repeated for the same reason in the future.

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
30,000 children dying every single day...and we're having concerts? thats what the human race has come to...playing concerts to raise money...?

whats the point in raising money if the money goes straight to currupt governments of the african countries and a tiny percentage of the civilians actualy see the money or food or medicine that it buys?

we may as well be burning the money on a fire if you give it to those governments. by all means raise money, but think about ways of getting it to the people that need it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join