It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Picture from Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I have no details or story behind this pic, but this is the appropriate forum for this.

Look at the;level of sophistication of some of the devices being used in Iraq:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It looks to me like a cellphone modified to be used to trigger a bomb... kinda like this:

Maybe this is just one they confiscated before it was used....

EDIT: In fact, that is exactly what it is. HERE IS THE LINK

[edit on 5/31/2005 by cohiba]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Well - I dunno....Assuming that is indeed a hint of contempt I hear, then to me, that image suggests a certain degree of ingenuity...Maybe it's just a jerry-rigged cell phone, or maybe it serves an entirely separate purpose, but I suppose someone took a picture of it for one reason or another...

If it's highly sophisticated devices you want to talk about though, one needs look little further than...say....UAVs?

cohiba - That image above is clearly photoshopped....

Edit: I see now...Initially I thought that was some kind of joke skippytjc, regarding our "high-tech" army....But I see now that you were referencing the sophistication of the insurgents....

[edit on 5/31/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
cohiba - That image above is clearly photoshopped....

WTH makes you say that?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cohiba
WTH makes you say that?

No need to get defensive...
I mean, did you take that picture or something?

Give me a second and I'll show you.....

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Cohiba, thats the most Photoshopped pic I have ever seen. The Nokia's are clearly out of place. They arent even to scale

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Take a look at that phone on the left....That's completely unatural looking - It's flat and has no dimension to it whatsoever....

Not to mention the fact that the colors of the phones are more vibrant than any other colors in the photo...And the lighting reflecting around the tape doesn't show on the phone screen....

The Nokia sign in the backround seems out of place as well...Most likely someone got a cell phone bill they weren't happy with and made this as a joke....

[edit on 5/31/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Terrible Work in Photoshop!

At least they could do, is some more work on the phones!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Phones have been used for years. The IRA used to use them to detonate a bomb, cheap and easy. Get a mobile for £50 now. When it rings it sets off the trigger, a lot easier then building one from scratch.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Phones have been used for years. The IRA used to use them to detonate a bomb, cheap and easy. Get a mobile for £50 now. When it rings it sets off the trigger, a lot easier then building one from scratch.

I don't think thats what they're saying here....

Sure phones could be used for detonating a bomb... however the picture provided appears to be a fake... for the reasons stated, I agree its a fake.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Sure phones could be used for detonating a bomb... however the picture provided appears to be a fake... for the reasons stated, I agree its a fake.

The one I posted is not the fake, the second one posted is the clear fake. Just to make sure nobody is confused here.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Well, if you believe the official story, terrorists trained by Al-Qaeda hijacked and, with super-human flying skill, flew 3 airliners into the WTC towers and the Pentagon, but only after having outsmarted the best intelligence network and national defenses on the planet. If that's the case, then I don't think rigging up a makeshift explosive device to a mobile phone trigger would be too much of a challenge for these Super Terrorists. Do you?

[edit on 2005/5/31 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Nokia, connecting people?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
That chick has some big cans, her man must of not appreciated her very much.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
No disrespect intended, but Steve Wonder could have done a better job in Photoshop.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
WOW Talk abuot product placement..

I bet nokia let got some pretty pennies!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think that pic was photoshopped as a joke about the exploding cell phone batteries that have been in the news lately...

It's pretty easy to wire a phone to be used as a trigger for an explosive device. Here is a link to a site from a guy who uses a cordless phone to light off a massive potato gun. When he hits the "Page'" button on the cordless phone base to find the handset, a spark is generated by the handset that ignites the acetelyne in the potato gun.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cohiba
It looks to me like a cellphone modified to be used to trigger a bomb... kinda like this:

Although this has already been pointed out, that picture is a fake.
Here's a real photo of that same woman.

AIN EL-HELWEH, LEBANON: A member of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades Hanan, girded with explosives, poses for a picture during a demonstration in the Palestinian refugee camp of Ain el-Helweh, in southern Lebanon 28 February 2002. Twinty-year-old Palestinian Darin Abu Aysheh blew herself up at an Israeli roadblock in the West Bank late 27 February. Abu Aysheh, a student of English at al-Najah university in Nablus and who lived in the nearby village of Beit Wazan, left a videotape saying she carried out her operation for the al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, an offshoot of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement. AFP PHOTO/Mahmoud ZAYAT (Photo credit should read MAHMOUD ZAYAT/AFP/Getty Images)
getty

[edit on 31-5-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I thought I saw that first photo in a discussion after the Spain train attacks. I'm not sure where I read that but the photo looks like the same one I saw. At least the phone looks the same as an earlier photo I saw. There was a discussion that so many people were using cell phones that the lines were jammed and at least one of the phone bombs failed to go off. Call missed. I thought I saw that somewhere else but not sure where.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The device is supposed to activate when someone calls it. Judging by that shot, I would say something wasn't wired right.

Also to chime in with the others, that other picture was terrible. I've used photoshop a few times (barely) and I could do better than that. Geez.

Mod Note to Kamikazi: Please try to use restraint when clicking Post Reply. Let's keep it on topic, thanks!

new topics

<<   2 >>

join