It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey: How much education have you recieved?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
School of Hard Knocks, baby.........barely graduated high school with a 2.02 GPA and dropped out of junior college.......would like to get a Masters in psychology, sociology, or something similar but life has a funny way of making me live it.......though I'm going to second Masked Avatar and cite life(experience) as the best possible teacher.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
i did gcse's, one year of A levels, and currently doing a national deploma in music technology...

i think i got a fair education, although i feel i've learnt more useful knowledge in the last year or two from my own study than i ever did at school.

just watching discovery programs and looking up stuff on the net. at school they teach you the same boring stuff over and over and really nothing of it is at all useful to you.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
i think i got a fair education, although i feel i've learnt more useful knowledge in the last year or two from my own study than i ever did at school.

just watching discovery programs and looking up stuff on the net. at school they teach you the same boring stuff over and over and really nothing of it is at all useful to you.

It seems a number of members hold this position. You can learn more by yourself than at school?

I beg to differ. And saying they teach you pointless stuff over and over again is just silly. Maybe its just me, but i think university is one of the greatest things ever. I mean there are some some prof's here at Waterloo who know how to teach. I can honestly say that some of the stuff i've learned from them i would have never learned on my own.

How can you say school is useless? Why are so many people going to university then? Why is it the dominant way of getting a proffesional position then? Mind you there are exceptions, like skilled labour.

Obviuosly university is not for everyone, but high school i think is a must for anyone. And for those people who say university is useless are just plain ignorant because it opens up so many doors!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
well yeah school is important, because i'd be as thick as two short planks if i hadn't have gone. but the work load and amount that you learn is insane, people who say school and exams have gotten easier are even more insane. if i did go to university it'd be good because i'd learn a great deal about one thing...probably do psychology.

school is important, as is university, but by far the most important learning experience is what you do between the age of something like 2 and 5. pre-school and nurserys are the building blocks for you to go to school etc...most children who went to pre-school turn out more intelligent. so out of all schools, the pre-school and nursery i'd say would be most important.

all learning is important, it's part of society that makes us civilised, and orderly. however, i think school can be a little intense, can be a lot of pressure, especially when the teachers keep telling you your whole futures riding on this exam... dont f**k it up! :p

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Another admonition to not circumvent the censors.

To answer the topic, 2 years university. Schooling? Life has been the biggest teacher though. Being a father, husband, worker, union man, that has taught me more than theories I learned in school.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Graduated from high school in 1991 with a 3.354 GPA. Could have done better.

I also went through a six-month career training program for administrative assistant in 1991, from June to December. Graduated with a 3.9.

Now I'm a stay-at-home mom. Personally, I wouldn't mind taking a few cooking classes or something so I can make better stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Graduated HS (thank god) with a 2.2 and procrastinated in college enrollment.

So I joined the Marines. Been in 4+ years. Ive been taking online courses for awhile now. Im pretty close to my associates. Last year when I reenlisted I was sure about it....but lately I have been second guessing that decision....so in 3 more years with a total of 8 years in Im gonna get out and us the GI Bill for college.

Im not sure what I wanna do yet.....maybe marketing or something.

Sorry to go one and gripe...but I had to vent

Kids, the point of my story is to make sure you are 110% sure before signing the dotted line for the military. Because if you're not....it makes the time pass slooooooooooowllllly. But I have no regrets.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Interesting range of experience, isn't it?

To answer the question, double major in Biology/English with a minor in Art for my Bachelors, first Masters' in Medical Computer Applications and will get my second Masters' in about 2 months in Applied Anthropology.

Want to go for a PhD in anthropology, but that will depend on money and where I can find a school. Managed to get this degree without doing any student loans, but it was a real killer.

Retired government worker (computers) starting new career.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I graduated high school about a year ago with a 2.9, overall GPA. I probably could have done much better, but effort was something foreign to me back then.

I joined the Navy right out of high school, and for the past 8 months have been working at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command. I graduated from Electricians Mate "A" school with a 3.24 overall GPA back in April, giving me 28 lower division baccalaureate credits in Electricity/Electronics. I graduate from Nuclear Power School in 5 months and at that time will be only a few credit hours short of an Associates in Nuclear Engineering Technology.

That's a very impressive education Byrd, I can only hope to have such accomplishments one day.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join