It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: 'Deep Throat' Anonymous Source Finally Revealed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The anonymous source who broke the Watergate scandal for the Washington Post has finally come forth to reveal his identity after decades of secrecy.

msnbc.msn.com
W. Mark Felt, who retired from the FBI after rising to its second most senior position, has identified himself as the "Deep Throat" source quoted by The Washington Post to break the Watergate scandal that led to President Nixon's resignation, Vanity Fair magazine said Tuesday.

"I'm the guy they used to call Deep Throat," he told John D. O'Connor, the author of Vanity Fair's exclusive that appears in its July issue.

Felt, now 91 and living in Santa Rosa, Calif. reportedly gave O'Connor permission to disclose his identity.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Decades of speculation on Deep Throat's identity have inspired countless conspiracy theories and wild claims... Now, at last, the truth is revealed, and it doesn't seem too exciting.

More sources:
abclocal.go.com

[edit on 5/31/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
So we're just supposed to believe this guy because he said so? Didn't Bob Woodward say he would confirm who "Deep Throat" was when "Deep Throat" died??

Peace

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

He hid the truth, even from his family, for decades. Now, a former number two man at the FBI has gone public with an interview in "Vanity Fair" magazine, and says he is Deep Throat.

As for Carl Bernstein, who with Bob Woodward broke the stories in the Washington Post that brought the Watergate Scandal to light, he would neither confirm nor deny that Felt is Deep Throat.

Bernstein did say, "As in the past with articles and books, we're not going to say anything this time. When the person (who is Deep throat) is deceased we will identify him. We have a real responsibility to our sources and in this case to the source known as Deep Throat."

The number 2 man at the FBI. What implications does this have? I'm kind of nearsighted this morning, I suppose.

en.wikipedia.org...(Watergate
deepthroatuncovered.com

Another link:
abclocal.go.com...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yeah, I'd like Woodward confirmation. Denifinitely wasn't on my short list. Or anyone else's I've seen.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hmm, from WikiPedia:

Woodward has said in repeated interviews that the identity of Deep Throat will be kept confidential until Deep Throat dies, or until Deep Throat agrees to let his name be made public.

Also from Wikipedia, though:

Leading candidates
Generally acknowledged to be the two leading candidates are W. Mark Felt and Fred Fielding.

EDIT:

More.

W. Mark Felt
W. Mark Felt was the third highest official in the FBI at the time of Watergate. James Mann, who had worked at the Post at the time of Watergate and was close to the investigation, brought a great deal of evidence together in a 1992 article in Atlantic Monthly that fingered Felt and convinced many. He argued that the information Deep Throat gave Woodward could only have come from FBI files. Felt was also embittered at having been passed over for the Director General position and the FBI in general was hostile to the Nixon administration. In previous unrelated articles Woodward had made clear he had a highly placed source at the FBI and there is some evidence he was friends with Felt. Felt was Richard Nixon's personal candidate as Deep Throat.

So, perhaps this comes as little surprise.

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'd rather wait until Woodward confirms this.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Bernstein's son blurted to others that Felt was Deep Throat many years ago.

Apparently, guys, you're not going to get that. Woodward will not confirm or deny the claim until the real Deep Throat is dead. He has read the Vanity Fair article in full. All of the evidence, however, points to Felt as being Deep Throat.

He has been the leading candidate for years and his confession should be all the confirmation necessary. I believe, though this story is still breaking, that he and his family have provided some kind of proof, not that the second most important man in the FBI would falsely confess to being the biggest snitch in presidential history...

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Vanity Fair magazine said on Tuesday that Mark Felt, a former FBI official, had revealed himself to be "Deep Throat," the legendary source who leaked Watergate scandal secrets to the Washington Post and brought down President Richard Nixon.

Unmasking the identity of "Deep Throat," a key source for Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, would solve one of the greatest political and journalistic mysteries of recent history.

The magazine said Felt, now a retiree living in Santa Rosa, California, had admitted his role in the scandal to his family and had cooperated with the story. It is the first time a major potential source has claimed to be "Deep Throat."

news.yahoo.com.../nm/20050531/ts_nm/life_deepthroat_dc_1

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
OK, what would Felt have to gain about making up such a claim?
Not much.

Well, the man is 91.....only a couple years left and we'll know for sure.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If you read the article it seems that Felt's family is using the Vanity fair exclusive money to pay off some educatiojn debts of the kids.

in Felt's own words "Seems a good enough reason"

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Let me ask you guys this. There's been speculation of George H.W. Bush being "Deep Throat". If you were to find out tomorrow that he was "Deep Throat" how would it change your opinion about him? Would it be for the better or for the worse?

Could this guy Felt just be taking the fall for Bush Sr.? Afterall, nobody cares about this guy anyways. But Bush Sr.'s legacy as well as his sons may be affected by such a revelation. My conspiratorial side tells me that this guy is coming out publicly and admitting it to the whole world to take the heat off of Bush. And that conclusion would then again lead me to conclude that Bob Woodward will kick the bucket before he ever gets a chance to reveal the true identity of "Deep Throat", or he's in on it and will take it to his grave.

Just some food for thought.

Peace

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think it's safe to say that the George H.W. Bush theory was more or less created just to sell some books. It's an interesting theory, but it just doesn't add up -- Bush would not risk his political future on a Watergate whistleblowing.

People have been investigating Deep Throat in depth for decades and Felt was a best guess.

Woodward did have ties to Bush, though - for instance, they were both Navy people, Yalies, and Bush gave Woodward 7 hours worth of interviews.

On the other hand, Felt and Woodward were personal friends.

In any case, decades of investigation is probably more reliable than a latecoming author poking his nose in some national archives and drawing conclusions based on loosely linked circumstances...

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Its fairly obvious that this guy isn't 'Deep Throat', since the reporters invovled haven't confirmed it. If the guy was deep throat, and he revealed himself, then they'd have no reason to not reveal it.

Short of Felt being deep throat, wanting people to think that he is, but not wanting it actually confirmed, then this wouldn't make sense.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think that your assertion is FAR from obvious.

The leading contender for the Deep Throat source, the second most senior official of the FBI, admits after several decades that he is indeed Deep Throat and it's instantly unbelievable because those who know for sure whether or not this is true are neither confirming nor denying it?

I think not!

Maybe there are good reasons for Woodward and Bernstein to avoid confirming Felt as being the source. They said they would ONLYYYYY reveal the source after his death. ONLY, meaning, to me, EVEN if the source goes public. Who knows, maybe they have books waiting to be published...

Nyg, come on, I expected you of all people to back up your claims with more than just an "all the evidence is there but it just doesn't make sense so I give up" type of a statement...

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
what gets me that even when Felt dies and Woodward reveals who deep throat was. pPople are still going to say that Felt wasn't deep throat. Read the second line of my signature people. Occam's razor isn't just a thought experiment, but a really good way to deal with almost every Conspiracy theory.

It is amazing how people will deny that Felt is Deep Throat, but fail to provide any evidance to prove why he couldn't be. Except to bring up other possible suspects.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Just found the article myself, and I must say, UNEBLIEVABLE!

Oh, and for the record, here's a headline MSN is showing.

Bob Woodward confirms ex-FBI official Felt was Watergate's 'Deep Throat'

[edit on 5/31/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Update:
This is just coming over the networks.
Washinton Post is now confirming that Mark Felt is Deep Throat.

Washington Post says former FBI official W. Mark Felt was source for leaked secrets about Nixon's Watergate coverup. Confirmation comes after published admission.
William Branigin,
David Von Drehle

www.washingtonpost.co...

There is more to the story but it is a subscription based service.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
CNN as well.

I can't get over this. I'm a bit of a history junkie, but this is amazing. I would've thoguht he'd be 20 or so years younger. This guy was born in 1913 - that means he's been through both world wars, the Great Depression, countless other major political and national events, and to top it all off, he's DEEPTHROAT!

SO COOL!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Mark Felts himself has also identified himself as being Deep Throat.
I actually thought we would never learn the true identity of Deep Throat.
This will be a day that goes down in the history books.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
Mark Felts himself has also identified himself as being Deep Throat.
I actually thought we would never learn the true identity of Deep Throat.
This will be a day that goes down in the history books.

Well, I always knew we would know, but I assumed it would happen once he died, or was near death. Guess I was right, but like I said above, most everyone thought he would be much much younger.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join