It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US releasing non-Mexican illegal immigrants (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I thought "catch and release" was a phrase used solely by fishermen. Apparently, the border patrol has adopted this practice also. Since the beginning of this year, the border patrol in Texas has released more than 15,000 OTMs (other-than-Mexican). When they are released, they are told to appear in court on a later date. More than 70% NEVER make their court appearance.

www.house.gov
“When an illegal immigrant crosses the border, and is captured, you’d think we would hold them until they are deported,” said Ortiz. “Turns out that is not the case. DHS lacks the bed space to accommodate them, so they are releasing them into the communities along the border. While there are dozens of problems for border communities related to released migrants who seek asylum or just greater economic opportunity, it is now an urgent national security matter because law enforcement officers around South Texas have come to me to tell me of their fears that we are releasing - on their own recognizance - people who could be associated with al Queda who are then able to proceed legally to join cells already in the United States.”

“While the very least we can do now is close the barn door after the cows are out, it remains that this policy has the potential of continuing to endanger the very homeland security in which we all want, and need, to have confidence,” Ortiz said. “The first step is a sudden reversal of this policy, followed by tracking down those who have escaped justice by not returning for a scheduled hearing, then finally an analysis of the damage that may have been done to our national security since these releases have occurred.”

Ortiz and Bonilla told the President, DHS Secretary Ridge, Attorney General John Ashcroft (which oversees some of the matters related to immigration judges), and Secretary of State Colin Powell that they understood the systemic, complex nature of the problem. They asked each agency to work together to rapidly find solutions to this enormous national security concern.

The entire text of the letter follows:

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now I'm no security genius, but I would MUCH prefer the release of the Mexicans as opposed to the OTMs. Of course, this is all being blamed on "lack of bedding" which I interpret as a "lack of importance".
Our extensive borders and lack of manpower make our border secuirty a next-to-impossible feat. With the government shunning American border patrol volunteers, this entire scenario stinks of immenent disaster...

I strongly suggest reading the letter in its entirety...

[edit on 31-5-2005 by BadMojo]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Welcome to the world of the bizarre...Makes absolutely no sense to us- Betcha it makes sense to those in power. 'nuff said

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I get tired of the absolute idiocy that streams from the border news.

The govt put in place to protect our borders, property and lives is doing precious little to accomplish that.

Projects like the recent MINUTEMAN exercises get blasted by the liberals and the media, when in fact such an approach (and more) is precisely the path to follow.

HOMELAND SECURITY is meaningless if this illegal entry is allowed to continue.

These people should be shipped back to Mexico and a hefty fine levied against that govt.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think you may be going in the wrong direction, blue. I'm not concerned about the Mexicans...Presidente Fox is right in my opinion. It's the "OTMs" like Hondurans, Peruvians, ARABS that I'm concerned about

...or...please define "these people"...

[edit on 31-5-2005 by BadMojo]

new topics

top topics

join