It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The system doesn't work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
This is.... Hmmm where does one begin. Just read it and see.

After 35 years in prison for stealing a black-white television set, Junior Allen is a free man.

Allen, 65, walked out of prison Friday, ending a case that attracted widespread attention because he remained in jail while other inmates convicted of murder, rape or child molestation were released.

"I'm glad to be out," Allen told supporters outside Orange Correctional Center. "I've done too much time for what I did. I won't be truly happy until I see a sign that says I'm outside of North Carolina."

Allen was a 30-year-old migrant farm worker from Georgia with a criminal history that included burglaries and a violent assault when he sneaked into an unlocked house and stole a 19-inch black-white television worth $140.

Some state records say Allen roughed up the 87-year-old woman who lived there, but he was not convicted of assault.

Instead, he was sentenced in 1970 to life in prison for second-degree burglary. The penalty for the offence has since been changed to a maximum of three years in prison.

source

Sad. Nothing more to say.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
"I'm glad to be out," Allen told supporters outside Orange Correctional Center. "I've done too much time for what I did. I won't be truly happy until I see a sign that says I'm outside of North Carolina."

It's a prison for all of us.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I know all to well how the system is flawed:

I had my license suspended due to another person with my same name. Even though I proved it wasn't me, I had to wait 10 years for it to finally disappear. It was that or spend a few thousand on a lawyer and travel to that state.

I had Florida suspend my license for non-payment of child support when I pay Ohio from Connecticut without missing a payment. I then had to pay Florida a reinstatement fee.

I had yet another state suspend my license because another state had me suspended - a state that has no record of me.

Yeah, it might not be as bad as loosing 35 years of your life for a petty crime, but I so much do agree that the system is VERY wrong.

new topics

join