It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sci-fi/Fantasy recomendations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Im looking for a new sci-F or fantasyi read.If it is a series even better.Loved Stephen Kings Dark Tower series and all the Dune books.I read alot so you might have to be creative.I know this is a broad subject but any help is appreciated.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Light weight easy reads..All SciFi

John Ringo's Gust Front series

David Weber's Honor Harrington series

David Drake's Draka series

Not to much depth just good old fashion escapist reading.

Baen SciFi

Here's a link to a real good scifi/fantasy publisher.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
ive been a fan of this fellow since i was in the 6th grade. the "Ender" series is what got me hooked. mr. card has a way of interweaving subjects ranging from deep psychoanalytical thinking, to religion, to questions of our society as a whole and back again. although the first of the series starts as the main character 'ender' is a child, the book ends with him as a teen. the following books are from a more adult perspective.

orson scott card, "Ender's Game"

[edit on 31-5-2005 by justdj]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
Runelords by ???

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The Runelords Series is by David Farland. They are pretty good.

I have to agree that Card's books are entertaining, I particularly like the 'Alvin Maker' series. Another neat one was Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus.

West of January by Dave Duncan is a great book, IMO. You can't go wrong with a Dave Duncan book.

I could keep listing books, but I have to do some work.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ok this is all my favorites off of my bookshelf; I'm too lazy to actually think of ones I've read but don't own

"Wheel of Time" series - Robert Jordan
Midkemia books - Raymond E. Feist (there are about 15 of them, very good)
"Sword of Truth" series - Terry Goodkind
"Shannara" series, "Word and the Void" series, "Landover" series, all by Terry Brooks
"Prydain" series - Lloyd Alexander (intended for slightly younger audience, still good tho)
"The Dark is Rising series" - Susan Cooper (also intended for younger audience, but very good anyway)
"Earthsea" series - Ursula K. Le Guin (recently made into miniseries on TV, I taped it but haven't seen it yet; books are good, often compared to LotR)
"Chronicles of Narnia" series - C.S. Lewis (written for younger audience, too, but enjoyable by adults)
"Harry Potter" series - J.K. Rowling
"Thomas Covenant" and "2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" - Stephen Donaldson (excellent read, but have a dictionary handy, he uses a LOT of obscure words, like exculpate, gelid, turgid, execrate, demesne, etc)
"Dragonlance" series - authors various (based on dungeons & dragons)

I like sci-fi too, but I don't own too much sci-fi, here's a shorter list of some of my favorites

any book by - William Gibson
any book by - Ursula Le Guin (writes sci-fi & fantasy)
"Otherland" series - Tad Williams (he also writes fantasy, but I haven't read any yet)
any book by - Orson Scott Card (he also does a bit of fantasy, but is primarily sci-fi)
"Dune" - Frank Herbert (Dune is to sci-fi what Lord of the Rings is to fantasy) -also any other herbert books
any book by - Clifford Simak (I've read a few of his, interesting style!)
"1984" - George Orwell (classic must-read)
"Brave New World" - Aldous Huxley (also classic must-read)
any book by - Jules Verne (old school but good)

Go to www.fantasticfiction.co.uk... to find pretty much all fiction authors that have ever amounted to anybody. A good resource for when you read one book by an author and say "Wow! I wonder what else he/she has written!" Use that website for the authors where I simply said 'any book by X', and you shouldn't be disappointed. They also have a few e-books there of some public domain stuff.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
thanks for all the suggestions,this should keep me busy for a little while.Ive already put a order in with amazon for a few.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TahoeSkiBum
thanks for all the suggestions,this should keep me busy for a little while.Ive already put a order in with amazon for a few.

Well, here are a few more for your wishlist:

Riverworld series by Phillip Jose Farmer

Ringworld series by Larry Niven

Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov

Seeker

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well, fantasy I like Terry Goodkind and David Gemmell (all time fav).

For a good sci-fi that I have not seen posted here, try George Alec Effinger "When Gravity fails".

Amazon Book

Also in the series: "A Fire in the Sun, The Exile Kiss."

In this novel Effinger takes Marid Audran, a reluctant, layabout, fiercely independent gumshoe straight out of Raymond Chandler, and sticks him in a Cairo of the future that is both brilliantly and economically rendered. In this cyberpunkish future, pretty much everyone who can, has their brain "wired" for modifications. These modifications take the form of personality "modules" that turn the user into whatever the particular module is programmed as--this can take the form of virtually any real or invented personality imaginable (James Bond is a favourite, as are many pleasure-optimized models). In addition to modules, there are "add-ons" which are little plug-ins which can grant instant knowledge of a language or skill. This technology, plus the vast improvement of, and subsequent proliferation of sex change operations makes for a world where few people are as they were born. Unlike many sci-fi writers, Effinger manages to convey this technology quickly and simply, making instantly plausible, and part of the landscape.

An excellent cyberpunk set of books. One of the most interesting aspects is the middle eastern culture and setting. Just amazing.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
What about the classics? Check out Robert E. Howard. Don't let the Conan movies fool you, the print was good.

If you want something out there and a little(yeah right) intellectual, check out Clive Barker.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
For "light" fantasy, meaning it's not as intricate as Tolkien, I really enjoyed The Crystal Shard, which was the first of a trilogy. Others followed the trilogy as well, The Dark Elf books I think.

While not actually a part of the Dragonlance universe (I think this is true anyway), the series was put out by the same company (TSR?).

The books were written by R. A. Salvatore and I found them really enjoyable. I don't read a lot of dragons and warriors type fantasy, but I was hooked on this series early into the first book. Motley band of warriors on a quest. Humor, adventure and danger.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
try the merlin series by TA barron

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The whole Area51 series by Robert Doherty.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Wheel of time by robert jordan, if your willing to give up about a year of your life to finish all 12 books now released.

And anything by David Gemmal, I reccomend the rigante quadrilogy, The John Shannow Trilogy and any of his Drenai novels.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
i read this really good book about 4 years ago, but i cant remember wat it was about, maybe some one can tell me?

it is in the future, and there is this corrupt city, and there these people take this drug, and stuff, and there are these angry people in the underground of the city,

these humans crash there in a space ship, and then walk around and do some stuff, dont know wat.

but eventually they go across this desert, and get sick and this pus comes out from sores, but it does something and makes them better.

then they come to this really enlightened town, that dont show apreciation at plays, like they dont clap.

and they stay there for a while, and i seem to remember a river.

i think the authors name was starting with L , like leeds or something

that name hyperion some one said above sounds familiar.

any way it was good

top topics

join