It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Q&A: Sudan's Darfur conflict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The impact on people of the two-year conflict in Sudan's western region of Darfur has been described as the world's worst humanitarian crisis by the United Nations.
Some two million people are estimated to now live in camps, having fled their homes and at least 180,000 are thought to have died during the crisis. Sudan's government and the pro-government Arab militias are accused of war crimes against the region's black African population, although the UN has stopped short of terming it a genocide.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
You'd be suprised at who is financing and supporting the murderers in Sudan.

Originally posted by twitchy
More hypocrisy in the name of "intelligence", in one hand we offer food and relief supplies, in the other we participate in the financing of a terror regime in the name of intelligence gathering. People are dying and we are writing checks to these murderers. The Bush regime killed a bill that could have ended this hypocrisy and sent some real relief efforts to Darfour.

www.truthout.org...
But now-thanks to a carefully documented report by Ken Silverstein in the April 29 Los Angeles Times, which has had far too little follow-up by the media-it is clear that the CIA, with the blessings of the Bush administration, is closely connected to the horrifying government of Lieutenant General Omar Hassan Ahmed Bashir, the head perpetrator of the ongoing genocide in Darfur: over 400,000 black Africans dead, with some 500 more dying every day, and more than two million, many in peril of starvation, turned into refugees as their homes and villages are destroyed....
In his April 17 column, Kristof wrote: "President Bush seems paralyzed in the face of the slaughter. He has done a fine job of providing humanitarian relief, but he has refused [for months now] to confront Sudan forcefully or raise the issue himself before the world."
In his May 3 column, Kristof-who has made repeated trips to Darfur, at some risk-added: "Incredibly, the Bush administration is fighting to kill the Darfur Accountability Act, which would be the most forceful step the U.S. has taken so far against genocide."
The bill, passed by the Senate, "calls for such steps as freezing assets of the genocide's leaders and imposing an internationally backed no-fly zone to stop Sudan's army from strafing villages." (That bill has now been killed.) ...
unmistakable evidence that Sudan's equivalent of the CIA, the Mukhabarat, is indeed providing the CIA with exceptionally valuable information on terrorists' organizing, and their planned actions, against the United States. Can the Bush administration make a reasonable survival argument that for America's self-defense, it has no choice but to continue its "fruitful relationship" with this ruthless force of evil-even if more white-robed children, like those outside the school in Um Seifa, are raped and murdered?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
rds.yahoo.com...=2766679/K=Darfur+Accountability+Act/v=2/SID=e/TID=DFX5_30/l=WS1/R=3/IPC=us/SHE=0/H=3/SIG=11vl45l13/EXP=1117559537/*-http%3A//ww w.theorator.com/bills109/s495.html

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Tuesday 03 May 2005

Finally, finally, finally, President Bush is showing a little muscle on the issue of genocide in Darfur.

clickit.go2net.com... luster-click=0&pd=0&coll=0&query=darfur+accountability+act+killed+by+president+bush&rawto=http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/printer_050305O.shtml

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by finnman68
Tuesday 03 May 2005

Finally, finally, finally, President Bush is showing a little muscle on the issue of genocide in Darfur.

www.truthout.org...

are you saying that bush is doing domething about this, because that story says the opposite?

He is actually trying to stop the senate passing a bill wich would freeze assets ect.

apologies if I have misunderstood.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by arnold_vosloo]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
No I'm not saying anything like bush is doing anything great for darfur, it did pass the senate but it was supposedly killed in the congress, I don't know thats why I put a link on that. thats something I didn't know about bush, but I don't have all of the facts either today is the first day I started reading about this story. its strange to me though that all of the stories I read are from very liberal publications that hate bush, i would like to read more from a more centered publication. if anyone has a good link thats not to biased one way or the other send them to me
thanks

new topics

top topics

join