It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The EU: What do you want?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
So the French have said no, or rather non to the EU constitution but lets keep that argument to the other threads out there that are dealing with the constitution issue.

What I want to look at in this thread is the bigger picture, the very entity that we call the EU, a union that some believe had surpassed its believed purpose.

There has been renewed talk of a Peoples Europe rather than a Politicians Europe, an economic alliance that is based upon the wants and needs of the people rather than that of the politicians vision of Europe.

Well what I want to know is what you want out of Europe, do you support greater integration or do you wish to step back and downsize.

-----------------------------------------------------

I myself don’t like the EU, I don’t reject the concept of unity and cooperation but I dislike the organization itself, I don’t believe it is the right way to go.

I personally would like to see the systematic dismantling of the EU and implementing of a smaller, less intrusive organization whose primary basis is to exist as a trade entity.

I want a collection of free nations whose goal it is to trade freely between themselves, not a singular economic entity.

I wish European countries to help each other as independent nations rather than under the banner of the EU.

I await you views

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
There has been renewed talk of a Peoples Europe rather than a Politicians Europe, an economic alliance that is based upon the wants and needs of the people rather than that of the politicians vision of Europe.

- Ppppppffffhhhhhhh.

Mere rhetoric and sloganising.

(and, as with most of the anti-EU debate, noticably utterly devoid of any substance other than the cental desire to destroy what has been accomplished in Europe so far.
A hallmark of this kind of vacuous hot air any time I have seen this kind of talk raised in any of the anti-EU organisations.)

I myself don’t like the EU, I don’t reject the concept of unity and cooperation but I dislike the organization itself, I don’t believe it is the right way to go.

- Well believe it or not Wizard the EU is a rather small and cheap bureaucracy.

I'm all ears as to how we have any kind of meaningful unity and cooperation without some sort of coordinating centre.

Not forgetting the efficiencies an actual 'centre' brings as opposed to 25/27 sets of duplication; hmmm?

I personally would like to see the systematic dismantling of the EU and implementing of a smaller, less intrusive organization whose primary basis is to exist as a trade entity.

- Why on earth would we settle for such small and stunted horizons?
Why would we go for a system beneficial only to the already super wealthy and priviledged?

(because whether you wish to admit it or not the only possible beneficiaries of any possible demise and absense of the EU are the worlds huge corporate interests.......mostly US.
Way to go Wizard, you would have us permanently second fiddle - in everything - to the USA.
No thanks.)

I want a collection of free nations whose goal it is to trade freely between themselves, not a singular economic entity.

- Yeah, nice bite sized pieces for who ever wishes to come along and dominate us......and guess who that (in practice) means.

I wish European countries to help each other as independent nations rather than under the banner of the EU.

- Thankfully this is not going to happen.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here Wizard.

A Treaty was rejected, nothing more.
It's happened before (and no doubt it'll happen again).

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'd like to see two directly elected houses, one for creation of legislation, the other for scrutiny.

I'd like to see a directly elected EU president.

I'd like to see an end to the CAP and the CFP.

I'd like to see an end to subsidies in all sectors.

I'd like to see the complete removal of national vetoes.

I'd like to see majority voting (66% perhaps) brought in for all prospective legislation.

I'd like to see the ECB set interest rates variably depending on the needs of the state.

I'd like to see partisan rather than nationalistic politics dominate europe.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by Chris McGee]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
@UKWizard

I know what you mean by a peoples europe rather than a politicians europe. I think at the moment the populations of european countries feel detached from the whole thing, as if they're not really part of it. I feel like it's just a grand project for the politicians right now and that they think us mere citizens should just do what we're told and not question it.

Would a greater degree of participation and accountability make you feel differently about the EU?

Do you ever see a time when the UK could become part of a larger oraganisation or do you hope we'll remain independent forever?

What i'm getting at is, is it just the EU that you object to and would you be happier if at some point in the future we integrated further with, say, Australia, the US and Canada?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
I feel like it's just a grand project for the politicians right now and that they think us mere citizens should just do what we're told and not question it.

That exactly how I feel, the politicians are shaping Europe, not the People.

Would a greater degree of participation and accountability make you feel differently about the EU?

The main thing I want is accountability, the EU has alot of power, if it were to be more aggresive towards it flaws then I would be alot more happy.
I'd like to see two directly elected houses, one for creation of legislation, the other for scrutiny. what you said in your post is something along the lines of what we need.

Do you ever see a time when the UK could become part of a larger oraganisation or do you hope we'll remain independent forever?

I know that the UK needs to put itself at the front of the international community, being completely independent would kill us, I'm simply very skeptical as to whether the EU will succeed in the long term unless it under goes radical change.

What i'm getting at is, is it just the EU that you object to and would you be happier if at some point in the future we integrated further with, say, Australia, the US and Canada?

Thats me alright, I want integration on a more international scale, instead of the EU, why set up something like a hybrid version of the UN/EU.

----------------------------

sminkey I know your a die hard EU fan, nothings going to change it but instead of shooting everthing down, why not reccomend what you'd change and why?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
sminkey I know your a die hard EU fan

- That's actually pretty wide of the mark Wizard.

but instead of shooting everthing down, why not reccomend what you'd change and why?

- I have no doubt that the EU has issues it needs to address, particularly communicating it's successes and how it is helping to improve our lives.

What I like to 'shoot down' are the criticisms that I see as unfounded or grossly unfair and way out of proportion.

The problem I have with a lot of the anti-EU comment is that it is just that, anti-EU with absolutely no interest in doing anything but constantly undermining with the sole intent to destroy the EU.

IMO such lunacy should be opposed at every turn even if it does come across as a very unsexy support for the status quo (which it isn't).

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- That's actually pretty wide of the mark Wizard.

Thats the feeling I got from your posts, sorry

- I have no doubt that the EU has issues it needs to address

Thats what I want to address in this thread, what the EU should be

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My opinion is that whatever problems/complexities the EU faces we are better off in than out. I believe it will come in for a good bit of revision due to recent events which is no bad thing and yes some of the criticism levelled at the EU are valid or at least address some core problems. But at the end of the day what else should the UK do. India and China are rising powers, if we aligned ouselves with the US I believe that eventually it would be to our detriment as with all the best will in the world the US will place their own interests before ours and we play secon fiddle, if we go it alone we're vulnerable to just about everybody so Europe it is IMO.

new topics

top topics

join